Stronger baht not keeping tourists away

snoop1130

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Stronger baht not keeping tourists away

The Thai baht is killing just about everything except the offshore riches of politicians and the elite. Which is the way the new "democratic" junta like it to be.

All i can say is one friend who normaly comes for months on end ,is doing 3 weeks this year ,another 4 weeks ,normally 2/3 months ,the third not coming , my family ,not coming this year "to expensive" so i am going to them for a couple of weeks instead . how many of you can say the same sort of thing ,quite a few i bet .

2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

outgoing Tourism and Sports Minister Weerasak Kowsurat said.

It's obvious he's leaving the job and hence he doesn't want to admit that he's made a balls up of the tourism sector while he has been at the helm.

As if anyone in their right mind would believe him on his way out the door. 

2 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Leave aside the warzone road casualty figures , the chronic air pollution , the nastiness entering the sea everyday , the golf club wielding taxi drivers , amongst others then yea it might pass as a place that might be considered 'ealthy .. Just don't go out .. 

Oh Mr Grazing, despite your negative comments, we must rejoice that Thailand has "returned to democracy".

Why can I taste bile...?

:laugh:

Keep opening more brothels (aka bars) and pimping land's daughters for marriage to 30-years older sexpats, your tourism revenue will be stable by destroying your exports due to strong baht and it will be good for all - brothels, pimps, and sexpats. 

3 hours ago, totally thaied up said:

Talk to the average Australian punter. Most are now going to Bali or Vietnam for holiday. Most my friends are raving about Vietnam. Reason is the baht is way too strong and the costs have risen in Thailand and true levels of service lack. Sure, when I flew back recently all I saw was Chinese at the airport but what I definitely saw was a lack of farangs. I am even having most my Thai friends in business telling me the same thing in Chiang Mai - not as many farangs this year and the smokey season has really scared a lot away and they are dreading another repeat of the same (smokey) conditions next year. 

I do agree with your post but not about Bali it has been holiday

paradise for Australians a long time specially for west Australians

Khun Weerasak, I wish you a happy retirement, money won't be an issue, but, please, make sure we do never-ever have to read again the mega BS your totally un-performing, useless to say it positively, ultra-expensive, agency has published, not to mention its disastrous (lack of positive) actions and endlessly long list of blatant lies, including in this (fingers crossed) lst communication of yours! We promise to do our best to forget about you ASAP. 'Auf nimmer wiedersehen', like Germans say to your kind.

There were recently some hopes after another person from TAT communicated to the media with more realistic figures and expectations. I hope nothing awkward happened to him...

3 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

What he is trying to say is that as there were 20.9 million visitors the the income earned from those visitors is more than 20.9 million baht!That's how you know if you made a profit!

One Baht per visitor!

Woo Wee...Thailand is booming!  Break out the bubbly!  Everybody dance!  The future is so bright, I gotta wear shades.

For those who have been before and noticed the prices going up and bother to check how much they get for the currency they will look for alternatives, any normal person would, its the followers of King Canute that have risen to the top here and walk with a white stick who fail to see the reality of the situation. The country is over exposed to tourism especially where hotels are concerned and if it not true now it will very soon hit the fan that the market will drive the price down, which is unlikely or they will go out of business, not un common in Thailand. I can see either the exchange rate reverses or the storm is coming, place your bets.

2 hours ago, onera1961 said:

Keep opening more brothels (aka bars) and pimping land's daughters for marriage to 30-years older sexpats, your tourism revenue will be stable by destroying your exports due to strong baht and it will be good for all - brothels, pimps, and sexpats. 

I like the cut of this man's jib.

Onera for Tourism Minister. Do I get a 'yeah?' ????

5 hours ago, DLock said:

"However, we have also learned that the average income earned from foreign tourists is still higher than the number of overall travellers entering the country,” Weerasak said.

I must have read this 10 times.

I could be having a dyslexic day...but I don't understand what he trying to say.

You're overthinking what he said...It makes perfect sense. The average income (money) spent is more than how many people come to spend it. For example, if I spend 5,000 Baht a day, the amount I spent is 5,000 times me (1).

Whether this is useful or not (comparing monetary units to people) is a different matter all together.

13 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

How do they measure how many people are visiting Thailand?

Well, you know immigration? Where people come in from other countr..........

Must be a trick question, surely.

46 minutes ago, Traubert said:

Well, you know immigration? Where people come in from other countr..........

Must be a trick question, surely.

So what about those in transit ? What about those who are doing visa runs, what about those who make multiple trips in a year ? Are business people counted as tourists ? Are those who fly into Bangkok and then onto Phuket counted twice ? If a family arrives with 5 children and mum and dad, is this 7 tourists ? Are workers from surrounding countries counted as tourists?

Just a few "trick questions" that I would like answered.

7 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Of course not because people enjoy spending more for the exact same thing, right. What an idiot.

Exactly. I don't need Thailand to do that. My very own government is more than capable of screwing me out of money!

7 hours ago, DLock said:

"However, we have also learned that the average income earned from foreign tourists is still higher than the number of overall travellers entering the country,” Weerasak said.

I could be having a dyslexic day...but I don't understand what he trying to say.

Read further below and all will be clear:

8 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“We should expand the structure of the Thailand tourism market, covering more markets and destinations, as well as those who benefit from the sector,” Weerasak added.

Major translation problem, or seriously impaired minister...

i know at least 30-40 guys who have come to los the past 10-20 years from uk and ireland,  i speak with lots of them now and as before they done 3-4-5 trips per year, now most them not coming to thailand, many are finding it too hard to get by even on 5000 baht per day . thats mostly in pattaya, i darent talk about BKK

living in isaan might lighten the load but not by much,  theres a thread on business forum i made 2 days ago, reading and studying the currency charts a well known website ( XE i think )  predicted the pound sterling will fall another 19% from now to 26  !!!!!!!

do your homework lads, for me i cannot go as often but ive a girl there so ill be staying in her place instead of hotels,  ill be cutting back on the beer and trying to do different things,  to be honest if it wasnt for her i would not think about going back anytime soon.

i was used to 73 back in the day,  it does my head in now changing £100 for 3800 baht.....but as the movers & shakers say its going down to around 26 in 2023 ( apparently )

11 hours ago, DLock said:

That is why he is listed as Outgoing Minister another failure.

12 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

Hua Hin has been fairly busy on the weekends but it normally is. When I was younger, I only traveled to warm countries in the winter time. When I did visit those countries out of season they were dead. Why would anyone leave a country that has a cold climate in the heat of the summertime for a vacation in a tropical country? I must be missing something here or perhaps it's a comment on all the folks who can't afford wintertime holidays and aren't coming this year for their cheap holiday?

The point being is Thailand is not the cheap holiday it once was.

When officals speak, my country included, I am skeptical as to the truth or accuracy of their utterances. The challenge in Thailand is the proliferation of poobahs, uniformed talking-heads and self-appointed native defenders making pronouncements that are difficult to verify; in addition to a lack of jornalists that question much of the hot air coming from the four corners of this land.

10 hours ago, Cadbury said:

The Thai baht is killing just about everything except the offshore riches of politicians and the elite. Which is the way the new "democratic" junta like it to be.

The money that goes off shore comes from income in Thailand.  So, back to the drawing board on that idea.  It's not a strong baht it's a weak pound.  

3 minutes ago, Benmart said:

When officals speak, my country included, I am skeptical as to the truth or accuracy of their utterances. The challenge in Thailand is the proliferation of poobahs, uniformed talking-heads and self-appointed native defenders making pronouncements that are difficult to verify; in addition to a lack of jornalists that question much of the hot air coming from the four corners of this land.

Listen to the Western financial reports to get the straight scoop.  It's the same but don't let that discourage you.   https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-07-03/-worried-thai-central-bank-looking-at-steps-to-damp-baht-surge

Archived