Stronger baht not keeping tourists away

snoop1130

1 hour ago, Oziex1 said:

So, he's been told to say that by those who like it to be high. 

Who would that be?  Since all the money for the rich folk in Thailand comes from Thai businesses I'm having a hard time figuring out who wants it high as everyone I talk to in business or banking or tourism wants it lower.  

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, worgeordie said:

So if it's NOT the strong THB that is keeping tourists away,what is it,

the news of scams and rip offs,the dangerous roads.

Thailand stopped feeding the goose that laid all those golden eggs,

only took from it,, giving little back,they have brought it on themselves.

regards worgeordie

No, no, no... the reason tourist numbers are down is simply "bad fortune".  Another bottle of red fanta on the buddha statue and all is well.

That's 10 plane loads of 500 people every hour for 6months, but the last two times i came to Thailand this year the airport was completely empty... I mean half a dozen people in the customs area, with the rest of my planeload transiting. My wife's restaurant has had no tourists for months, and neither her friends restaurants.. They even went driving all around the tourist spots in Bangkok to see where they were but found none.. So i suppose the whole lot of 21000000 have gone to Phuket? 

If the strong Baht is not putting tourists off coming then where are they going? I know I visited Pattaya/Jomtien twice this month and it was quiet even for low season standards, all other major tourist areas are reporting the same.

But they are still coming just nobody seems to know where they are, perhaps more scrutiny of the TM30 is needed!

12 hours ago, DLock said:

"However, we have also learned that the average income earned from foreign tourists is still higher than the number of overall travellers entering the country,” Weerasak said.

I must have read this 10 times.

I could be having a dyslexic day...but I don't understand what he trying to say.

I think he means they earn more than one baht per tourist.

12 relative and friends have all booked to go to Vietnam, said they thought about Thailand but costs and exchange rate are too high so decided on Vietnam. The truth from government in Thailand is the same as that from the white house.

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He also said that promotions should be offered for niche travellers, such as family groups as well as people who love sports and adventure, and those who are health conscious.

Yeah, invite the health conscious ones to Chiang Mai during the smokey season, they will love it! 

12 hours ago, DLock said:

"However, we have also learned that the average income earned from foreign tourists is still higher than the number of overall travellers entering the country,” Weerasak said.

I could be having a dyslexic day...but I don't understand what he trying to say.

It's easy.  If 20.9m travellers arrived, of those travellers, some part were tourists. The tourist part has an income level that is on average higher than the other travellers. It's on the TM6 card on arrival so it must be very accurate.  This also means the other non-tourist travellers have lower income on average. Not sure how this helps, but it's something!  Maybe the lower income travellers are looking for a higher paying job in Thailand?

All I can say is from travel to BKK 2 weeks ago and going around some tourist areas, and that of CM as live here, tourist levels are definitely down to very few. I'm not complaining for CM as not a fan of the Chinese being everywhere like being overrun. So it has to be the strong baht, maybe word goes around for bad treatment, and other countries being more attractive and more welcoming. Tourists are not cattle. Expats are not dogs.

The articles in previous days talking about tourism being way down and now this one says slightly up.

The baht may only be a partial factor in people coming here but it is a definite factor in how much they can spend once they get here.

13 hours ago, DLock said:

Me too! I finally realised that what he means is tourists - as opposed to businesspeople or conventioners or whatever other category people can tick on their immigration form... 

The guy is using bare statistics to try to hide the truth.  Myself, family and friends have all either shortened or cancelled planned trips to Bangkok due to the baht's value. The difference in prices (if you pay in overseas currencies) is as much as 20 per cent. Bare tourism numbers just reflect the increase in tour groups - from China and India - who are renowned for spending less than independent tourists from more affluent countries... 

I am not dyslexic and it looks like gibberish to me as well.

13 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

Hua Hin has been fairly busy on the weekends but it normally is. When I was younger, I only traveled to warm countries in the winter time. When I did visit those countries out of season they were dead. Why would anyone leave a country that has a cold climate in the heat of the summertime for a vacation in a tropical country? I must be missing something here or perhaps it's a comment on all the folks who can't afford wintertime holidays and aren't coming this year for their cheap holiday?

Thailand has always had a good summer holiday season due to people in weatern countries having school breaks and in the US that is the traditional holiday season as in I get time off from my job. As for the US not any hotter here in Thailand than in most of the US. At present here in CM there is a uptick in the summer school tours coming thru usually 3 to 5 days in CM then on to Bangkok or the Islands

Me also, what’s the significance of this statement “However, we have also learned that the average income earned from foreign tourists is still higher than the number of overall travellers entering the country,” Weerasak said” ????

13 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

Hua Hin has been fairly busy on the weekends but it normally is. When I was younger, I only traveled to warm countries in the winter time. When I did visit those countries out of season they were dead. Why would anyone leave a country that has a cold climate in the heat of the summertime for a vacation in a tropical country? I must be missing something here or perhaps it's a comment on all the folks who can't afford wintertime holidays and aren't coming this year for their cheap holiday?

Holiday makers coming from other countries don't look at the exchange rate before they come , They bring an amount of money with them and that's it.The accommodation has more then likely been paid for back home.

I think that means the low end Chinese package tourists all spent at least one baht, while they were here. 

This guy is 'UNBELIEVABLE'.......... Does anyone believe him?????????

But just the thing about it being in the news and being lied about is a 'Good Sign', because it shows that many don't like it and are challenging him....... That is good.......

Archived