China says Trump 'misleading' people linking trade deal, slowing economy

snoop1130

China says Trump 'misleading' people linking trade deal, slowing economy

By Ben Blanchard

fddfg.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Flags of U.S. and China are displayed at American International Chamber of Commerce (AICC)'s booth during China International Fair for Trade in Services in Beijing, China, May 28, 2019. REUTERS/Jason Lee/File Photo

BEIJING (Reuters) - China on Tuesday rebuffed a suggestion from U.S. President Donald Trump that Beijing needs a trade deal with the United States because its economy is slowing, saying this was “totally misleading” and that both countries wanted an agreement.

Trump, in a Monday tweet, seized on slowing economic growth in China as evidence that U.S. tariffs were having “a major effect” and warned that Washington could pile on more pressure.

Official data on Monday showed China’s economic growth cooled to 6.2% in the second quarter, the weakest annual pace in at least 27 years, amid trade pressure from the United States. In the first half, the economy grew 6.3 percent compared with a year earlier.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said China’s first-half pace was a “not bad performance” considering global economic uncertainty and slowing world growth, and in line with outside expectations.

China’s stable growth was good for the world and also the U.S. economy, Geng told a daily news briefing.

“As for United States’ so-called ‘because China’s economy is slowing so China urgently hopes to reach an agreement with the U.S. side’, this is totally misleading,” he added.

Both China and the United States wanted to reach a trade deal, not China alone, Geng said.

A WIN-WIN AGREEMENT

Many people in the United States strongly opposed the tariffs and the trade war, he added.

“I again call on the U.S. side to work hard with China, meet each other halfway, and on the basis of mutual respect and treatment, strive to reach a mutually beneficial, win-win agreement. This accords with the interests of both countries and is what the international community expects.”

Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping last month agreed to another truce in the year-long trade spat between the world’s two largest economies.

That agreement, announced after the leaders met in Osaka, Japan, was aimed at kickstarting stalled negotiations, but no deadline has been set for the process to conclude.

Hu Xijin, editor of the widely-read Chinese tabloid Global Times, published by the ruling Communist Party’s official People’s Daily, responded on Twitter to Trump’s comment, asking if it was “noble for a president to gloat”.

“6.2% is much higher than U.S. growth. Wait until U.S. growth hits 6.2% then laugh at China,” Hu tweeted. “Chinese economic growth slows down because of restructuring. The credit doesn’t go to the White House.”

The People’s Daily said it was “laughable” to say the Chinese economy was being given trouble by the U.S. tariffs.

“From trade and investment to technology, China is contributing more and more positive energy to global development,” it said in a commentary. “These irrefutable facts are not negated by anyone raising a hubbub.”

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-07-16

Certainly glad we have the Chinese Communist Party's open, truthful, and ever transparent views on their own economy to guide us.

Statement 1: it's not “noble for a president to gloat”.

Statement 2: “6.2% is much higher than U.S. growth. Wait until U.S. growth hits 6.2% then laugh at China,”

Lol, they have a Trump too.  Wonder how big their button is?

the widely-read Chinese tabloid Global Times

Widely read where? No-one in China reads it.

Anyway, it's obvious that Xi has got Donald's nuts in a firm grip, otherwise he'd go through with all the empty threats he makes. 

4 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Chinese are going to take a wait and see position...hoping Trump will lose the 2020 election and they can get a better deal with a new President.

Biden as President would please them...????

Unfortunately for the Chinese many companies are already transitioning their way to greener pastures. They won't be back.

31 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Unfortunately for the Chinese many companies are already transitioning their way to greener pastures. They won't be back.

Many Chinese owned companies, yes. One of the big gripes is that China made foreign companies form joint enterprises, where the Chinese share is 51%. They too want cheaper labour.

There have been very few WOFE of any significance.

7 hours ago, Traubert said:

the widely-read Chinese tabloid Global Times

Widely read where? No-one in China reads it.

Anyway, it's obvious that Xi has got Donald's nuts in a firm grip, otherwise he'd go through with all the empty threats he makes. 

I am not privy as to where Xi's hands are or what they are grapsing. Perhaps you can elaborate as to what you have seen first hand or know from speaking to either party. Otherwise, it is called quessing or opinion.

As for the cited newspaper..I haven't checked their circulation or actually reads the rag.

11 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Chinese are going to take a wait and see position...hoping Trump will lose the 2020 election and they can get a better deal with a new President.

Biden as President would please them...????

I don't often agree with you, but you are right on the mark here.

Hope the trade war goes on Australia is picking up a lot of Agricultural sales that would have been supplied by the USA. POTUS will feel the roth of the US farmers and consumers in 2020. (The Chinese are paying the tariffs) so why have consumer prices gone up and agric produce prices gone down?.

Mr, I am not a racist.  Trump should keep on ticking off women and other people in the USA, and even his base will fade. He certainly is not mr. popular.   China and the world just has to be patient and wait a bit longer for Trump to be gone.

Geezer

What a great sentence, eh? At TV press time today, it’s...

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

China says Trump 'misleading' people....

But we all know that a type setters job in the trump world is an easy job, because the next headlines will still include.... (insert who and whom, so easy, just like winning a trade war)

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

.......says Trump 'misleading'.....

Much like the boy who cried wolf, the world must now scrutinize every word or suggestion coming from the trump, as he is a proven pathological liar, making a communist dictators state run media a more reliable source. 

With all the books being written about the trumps attempt at ruining a country, I’m waiting to see the appearance of the new best seller, “credibility lost”, in the near future.

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“6.2% is much higher than U.S. growth.

It's also twice as high as the global GDP growth rate predicted for 2019 by WTO.

Compared to the U.S. that will slow to 2.1% in 2019 from 3% in 2018 and will be 2% in 2020 and 1.8% in 2021. https://www.thebalance.com/us-economic-outlook-3305669

I believe that only India will best China's GDP for 2019 at 7.6% while the U.S. will better the United Kingdom at 1.6% and France at 1.7%. https://ceoworld.biz/2018/12/28/gdp-rankings-of-the-worlds-largest-economies-2019/

5 hours ago, Benmart said:

I am not privy as to where Xi's hands are or what they are grapsing. Perhaps you can elaborate as to what you have seen first hand or know from speaking to either party. Otherwise, it is called quessing or opinion.

As for the cited newspaper..I haven't checked their circulation or actually reads the rag.

Quite.

Perhaps you could help me understand the execrable 'grow a pair' as my impression was that one was either born with them, or lived life without them.

'Obvious' quite clearly shows an opinion being expressed. I.e. the impression one has from the available evidence.

Communist China talks nice, but look what they’ve done on Spratley Islands.  And look what they’re doing in Cambodia.  And now Thailand is best buddies with the ChiComs.  It never ends well...

8 hours ago, Srikcir said:

It's also twice as high as the global GDP growth rate predicted for 2019 by WTO.

Compared to the U.S. that will slow to 2.1% in 2019 from 3% in 2018 and will be 2% in 2020 and 1.8% in 2021. https://www.thebalance.com/us-economic-outlook-3305669

I believe that only India will best China's GDP for 2019 at 7.6% while the U.S. will better the United Kingdom at 1.6% and France at 1.7%. https://ceoworld.biz/2018/12/28/gdp-rankings-of-the-worlds-largest-economies-2019/

It's very hard to ascertain what China's true growth rate is. It's a serious economic crime to investigate how the Chinese government arrives at these figures, 

Archived