Law on import duty clarified after backlash

snoop1130

Law on import duty clarified after backlash

By THE NATION

800_a7f7f5534987fb9.jpeg

The Customs Department defended itself on Tuesday in the wake of a social media storm over travellers’ claims they had been unfairly charged import duty at Thai airports.

Many people complained about being charged for items they were bringing into the country.

There was another angry reaction after a news report suggested that scanners would be installed at Suvarnabhumi Airport’s luggage belts by the end of the year to screen for goods being brought in for commercial purposes.

One woman said she had been forced to pay Bt6,000 tax for soap worth just Bt1,500.

The Customs department said on Tuesday that air passengers could bring in items for their own personal use and worth no more than Bt20,000. If, however, the items were either worth more than Bt20,000 or being brought in for commercial purposes, they would be subject to import tariffs.

Personal use also means just one of the items in question, so if a passenger brings in several of the same item they would be subject to tax, even if they are intended for friends or family, said the Department.

Handbags are subject to 20 per cent tariffs, watches 5 per cent, belts 30 per cent and cosmetics products 30 per cent. 

They are also subject to value added tax of 7 per cent. 

Thai travellers often bring home brand-name products, such as handbags, watches and cosmetics for their friends and relatives, largely due to lower prices overseas.

If anyone thinks customs officials have treated them unfairly, they can complain by phoning 1332 or messaging on the Line application, line ID: @customshearing. 

Or they could complain to anti-corruption commission and Office, according to the statement issued by the department on Tuesday.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30373067

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand  2019-07-16

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Thai travellers often bring home brand-name products, such as handbags, watches and cosmetics for their friends and relatives, largely due to lower prices overseas.

Now why would prices for such consumer goods be even higher in Thailand, which has a relatively low income base, compared to countries like the U.S. or in Europe where incomes and standards of living are considerably higher on average???

Could it perhaps have something to do with the lack of meaningful competition in the retail sector along with a few large Thai comglomerates owning most of the merchandising franchises/rights for various international brands?

17 minutes ago, shady86 said:

Stay in Thailand, don't go overseas. Thailand doesn't welcome you. Only your money.

The complaints are coming from Thais who have been on overseas shopping trips. Seems you didn't get that.

This law has largely been circumvented by passengers and not really enforced by Customs for years and nobody here is going to declare anything. Suddenly they start enforcing it and there is uproar. 

20,000 baht is nothing. But the tax they will impose of anything over that could be quite pricey and it will probably feel like unjustified rape which could probably get real ugly with many people. My computer, watch, telephone, or musical instruments each cost more than the max. Sounds like the vultures are really hungry. 

I wonder how they're going to apply these rules -- if they apply them -- to things like food products.

One package of oatmeal, and anything more is considered commercial and subject to duty? One box of teabags and anything more is considered commercial and subject to duty? One bottle of hot sauce and anything more is considered commercial and subject to duty? Etc. etc?

34 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Now why would prices for such consumer goods be even higher in Thailand, which has a relatively low income base, compared to countries like the U.S. or in Europe where incomes and standards of living are considerably higher on average???

Import duties, excise taxes, and the whole plethora of CRAP they add on to most imported products. Alcohol has 400%(!!) in total taxes which is why imported alcohol in Thailand costs almost double than many other countries.

Nothing to do with competition or market forces. Greed and protectionism in action.

1 hour ago, smedly said:

so what happens if you take a used item such as phone or laptop out of Thailand on a holiday to your home country and return with them 2 weeks later ?

Do you need to book them out ?

Used is the keyword there. If they are personal belongings, they shouldn't be taxed. If you are bringing two new macbooks in their original packaging, it might be a different story. I've never heard of anyone getting taxed for used items at the airport customs. 

Everytime I go to Europe I bring my luggage full of stuff like motorcycle parts, automatic espresso machines and other stuff. Never got questioned, but I always make sure to make such items "used" before bringing them over. 

7 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Could it perhaps have something to do with the lack of meaningful competition in the retail sector along with a few large Thai comglomerates owning most of the merchandising franchises/rights for various international brands?

Thai can order brandname products taxfree from king power...when they fly they can pick it up in the taxfree zone.

55 minutes ago, Youlike said:

Thai can order brandname products taxfree from king power...when they fly they can pick it up in the taxfree zone.

My observation of King Power is that the stuff they offer can be purchased for a lot less elsewhere.

Rent on their real estate must be humongous (plus all the requisite pay offs and kick backs). So of course they price higher than non airport shops. Duty free shopping is just one big deception IMO.

8 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

and tax 

tax is the agenda of this government the strong bath is not in itself the problem rise of tax is 

with the strong bath things outside get cheaper yes, even more with high tax ,and not important with very low tax or none.

stupid is who stupid does

its not easy with no education, and a litle late to start reading books now, for someone.

and obviously not possible to step down no matter failed all over .

loosing face is only important if they can see it themselves.

so this is just 1 of many implanted and comming 

23 minutes ago, neeray said:

My observation of King Power is that the stuff they offer can be purchased for a lot less elsewhere.

Rent on their real estate must be humongous (plus all the requisite pay offs and kick backs). So of course they price higher than non airport shops. Duty free shopping is just one big deception IMO.

Agree with you regarding King Power kick backs etc but its the same all around the world when talking of high pricing.  People seem to forget that whilst they are Duty Free the products are not profit free and with a captive audience they are priced to what the market will stand.

9 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

I would say that they are one of the most corrupt departments in Thailand, pain in the back too deal with. 

According to Thai business people this group is rated number 1 as corrupt, BIB is just fourth.

10 hours ago, SS1 said:

Used is the keyword there. If they are personal belongings, they shouldn't be taxed. If you are bringing two new macbooks in their original packaging, it might be a different story. I've never heard of anyone getting taxed for used items at the airport customs. 

Everytime I go to Europe I bring my luggage full of stuff like motorcycle parts, automatic espresso machines and other stuff. Never got questioned, but I always make sure to make such items "used" before bringing them over. 

Retired to Thailand in 2011. Was supposed to be able to import my household goods tax free ... nope. Shipping company said Customs declared I needed to pay tax on my library books (Retired Professor).

one of the problems with customs here is they don't tax at the actual cost of the item but some made up value they apply to it which is much higher. So them saying they tax at a certain rate for items is not true.

11 hours ago, smedly said:

so what happens if you take a used item such as phone or laptop out of Thailand on a holiday to your home country and return with them 2 weeks later ?

Do you need to book them out ?

Could be. I had such a problem with a notebook when I came back to Europe from Singapore. Took a while until they were convinced that I didn't buy it there. Told me to register such expensive items when I leave Europe. But somehow understandable. How should they know if you don't want to bring your expensive notebook, phone, Rolex or whatever duty free into the country. 

28 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Retired to Thailand in 2011. Was supposed to be able to import my household goods tax free ... nope. Shipping company said Customs declared I needed to pay tax on my library books (Retired Professor).

Sadly it is like this. I have the same problem and I have many things stored abroad - should try to sell them finally. But I understand that I am here only on a retirement visa this is granted on a yearly basis. I have no real right to stay here and that an extension is granted every year. So I am a tourist with a special visa. Nothing else. 

12 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The government needs revenue.  Probably the income tax compliance rate is very low and to improve it they would have to get off their A$$ to investigate and pursue non-payers.  Taxing imports is a far easier source of money.

I'm not sure what all the fuss is here. The Thai import personal limit of approximately US$600 is 50% more than the US limit of $400. Doesn't every country limit how much you can bring back home with you? Technically this should be applied to Thais coming home. As a foreigner coming in, I'm not sure how it applies, but typically common sense should prevail, not many travelers need 50 or 100 of anything while traveling. It also seems like we are talking about "New" items, not used items. As far as determining "value", if you retain your sales receipts, this should certainly help determine the value of an item. Exception of course is if you are attempting to bring something in illegally. All in all, it seems like a lot of tadu about nothing .

13 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Well put... just take a look and learn the case of king power people who railroaded all the other contenders for the duty free operations in all Thai airports, they put on a pile of cash one table regardless of the others just to be able to be in this very lucrative business for another decade, now this is only one example of how powerful and dominant some business are in this country...

36 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

So if you bring in lets say 3 or 4 perfumes for family members like I get asked to do that is now going to be taxed?

Buy them at Thai duty free on the way in maybe

41 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

So if you bring in lets say 3 or 4 perfumes for family members like I get asked to do that is now going to be taxed?

Customs Procedure for arriving passengers at the Nothing to Declare or Green Channel

Passengers with nothing to declare means they do not have any items liable for duty and taxes and prohibited or restricted goods with them when arriving in Thailand. For this case, they should use the Nothing to Declare lane, and the following items are exempted from duty: 
  • Personal belongings in reasonable quantity, which are worth no more than 20,000 baht in total and are not prohibited or restricted goods or food
  • No more than 200 cigarettes or 250g of tobacco or 250g of all types combined
  • No more than 1 litre of alcoholic beverage
  • For the excess quantities of cigarettes, tobacco or alcoholic beverages, they must be dropped in the box provided by Customs, otherwise prosecution will be carried out.
As the Customs Department aims to facilitate passengers to the extent possible, we have adopted Risk Management techniques to screen passengers' baggage. Below are information about screening and inspecting passengers' baggage at the Goods to Declare or Red channel.

Archived