Mae Sai

Isan Farang

19 minutes ago, sanemax said:

500 Baht , although sometimes they accept $US10  

Thanks for the info, I live in both Ubon and Chiang Rai and have been informed I must do my 90 day report in Ubon.

My normal rotation is 1 month x 1 month but now need to stay to observe some building work so looking at options to save the trip back to Ubon

back in Nov, 2 of us aussies, and thai wives walked into the  border post on the main street where the taxis turnaround.

us blokes were happy to mingle into the market on the hill; but mrs and sister were us we do the border jump with them,  - just for a looksee!

ok so we followed them into the Post, and the IO officer said yes we can go over 'for a little while'

Mrs was told it was cheap, and for 70 baht they 2 went over for an hour

Us fellas were told it'd cost us only 700 baht

well I backed off; as I felt that as, in a few days we were all flying from CM to Yangon for a week

we had our SETV sitting in our Passports all ready for that, and I'd be blown if I'f risk blowing that one SETV shot (@au$157each) , on this really sus sort of border fling.

but there ya go!  if you want for 700 baht a falang can walk thru into the burmah netherlands for those handful of hours

(it is sort of the same thing as what you can do at the golden triangle, where you can boat over to the laos side of the mekong (and for a nominal fee, the BorderPost holds your passport as a sort of (ransom) guarantee that you will come back over the border to LOS)

anyhows us blokes did the hillside market (pretty good value I thought) whilst the mrs and sis did their little hop

us 2 all okay; but she came back all bored looking, and 70 baht lighter

Archived