Possible way of staying in Thailand?

Hello,

after nearly 10 years my girlfriend (the mother of my 5 and 7 year old children) and me separated basically at the moment we entered Thailand last year, in a very non-communicative way, ie. there is basically no contact whatsoever despite my efforts to call them (was allowed to speak to my children twice).

Now I had been on a single entry 3 month non-o visa (applied at Vientiane with signed letters of the mother) and some tourist visas but these aren't possible anymore. So, I am thinking of staying in Thailand to somehow establish a connection to my children (through contacting the mother every now and then) but I am not sure which visa I should try to go for? I am around 30 years old, not working (passive income), from Europe.

We have legalized the fatherhood and I am in possession of the passports of my children, the blue housebook (where I think the children are listed), the mothers birth certificate and of the following document:

So, maybe I could apply for the single entry non-o visa based on a Children myself? Or am I missing something?

Yes go down path of non o based on parent of Thai child. No doubt ubon will be along to guide you with exact details. (so lucky we have guys like that in tvf).

One small thing...I read on tvf somewhere that you need live in same imm office area as kids. Not sure? 

Good luck op

• Like 1

I think the original birth certificate of the children is a key requirement. Without that, it will be difficult or impossible to get a Non O visa to visit your children. Consulates tend to be very inflexible about requirements like that.

You don’t need to be the legalised parent to apply for another visa at Vientiane or other embassy/consulate. You just need one of your children’s birth certificate. 

Without a birth certificate it’s going to be to be impossible to get a visa or extension of stay as a parent.

1 hour ago, MainBerry said:

Thanks so far... so do I have the birth cert or not? I dont know what document tyhis is which I added in the post.

The document you posted in that other thread is not a birth certificate. A Thai birth certificate looks something like

image.png.a9283501cf0270e1ba855dc673561152.png

• Thanks 1

Thanks so far... so do I have the birth cert or not? I dont know what document tyhis is which I added in the post.

It’s not a birth certificate. I believe it is the document you would of received when legalising your parenthood. 

In other words it’s a document confirming you are the parent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok, so without the birth certificate (I might have copies though, not sure helpful), I wouldnt receive the visa - so how would I obtain the birth certificate? Is there any way, without consent of the mother? Or is the visa even available without the mother helping?

Edited by MainBerry

26 minutes ago, Date Masamune said:

You (may)need Thailand Elite. If you have more than one short overstay or ANY denials of entry it appears to not be possible.

Well, I dont have any overstays and no denials and I dont think I want to spend 500k just to stay in Thailand to gain access and be near to my children?! The only reason for me to stay in Thailand is because I somehow wish to play a role in their future life.

For me it kinda looks like the visa because of Thai children only applies to live-in fathers but what if I wish to see them on  a regular basis, ie. every weekend or similiar?! Seems to be an dead end.

Edited by MainBerry
  • Like 1

For me it kinda looks like the visa because of Thai children only applies to live-in fathers but what if I wish to see them on  a regular basis, ie. every weekend or similiar?! Seems to be an dead end.

Nope it´s not the dead end. If it is the document proven you are a legalized father you have. Then you can use that together with a copy of your passport, to get the amphur in your district to write you a new birth certificate. If you have done the legalization process in the amphur and do not have the document, they should still have a record of that and can make you a new birth sertificate.

if you done the legalization in court, and do not have the document of that. Then you get a new copy stamped from the court, and still go to the amphur and get a new birth certificate. The reason I know this is because I´ve gone to our amphur and done that just because we once couldn´t find the first one, so know we have two. At that moment I wasn´t even legalized as a father but they could find my name on the file in the computer anyway and made a new one in only 15 minutes.

After that you can go on your merry way to Sawannakhet and apply for your Non-O based on child dependant. Regarding the info you have about live-in-fathers, that is all wrong. You might have to live in the same amphur or province but you can live on another address and see your children occasionly.

To make this a lawful agreement so that you can see your children on a regular basis, you will do best in petition the court to summon the mother for an agreement and a signed court order on that. She seems like she believe she can do as she want and come away with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

Nope it´s not the dead end. If it is the document proven you are a legalized father you have. Then you can use that together with a copy of your passport, to get the amphur in your district to write you a new birth certificate. If you have done the legalization process in the amphur and do not have the document, they should still have a record of that and can make you a new birth sertificate.

if you done the legalization in court, and do not have the document of that. Then you get a new copy stamped from the court, and still go to the amphur and get a new birth certificate. The reason I know this is because I´ve gone to our amphur and done that just because we once couldn´t find the first one, so know we have two. At that moment I wasn´t even legalized as a father but they could find my name on the file in the computer anyway and made a new one in only 15 minutes.

After that you can go on your merry way to Sawannakhet and apply for your Non-O based on child dependant. Regarding the info you have about live-in-fathers, that is all wrong. You might have to live in the same amphur or province but you can live on another address and see your children occasionly.

To make this a lawful agreement so that you can see your children on a regular basis, you will do best in petition the court to summon the mother for an agreement and a signed court order on that. She seems like she believe she can do as she want and come away with it.

Good info, but all what I read here regarding the "Non-O based on child dependant" says that I have to have some signed copies from the mother?! You say the original birth certificate + my passport copy + copy of the legalization paper would be enough?

Would it be enough in Sawannakhet to have only copies of the birth cert? Because I wouldnt really know where to start with obtaining the birth certificate, is it at the place where the children are born or the place where they are listed in the housebook?

The last will be a real problem, the amphur where I was legalized as father requested 15.000 THB tea money.... and we had to sit there 5 hours and I doubt anybody wanted to speak to me. I doubt I can do that by myself, I think I wouldnt even get through to the counter.

Edited by MainBerry

5 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Money talks. If you're not contributing any money for their living expenses, mother can always play game and not allow you to see your children.  MY suggestions will be to talk to the mother and come to an understanding how much you will contribute for their upkeep. Once that is settled, I believe you can get what you need for your visa and visits. What does the mother do? How did you meet her?

Edited by onera1961
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MainBerry said:

Good info, but all what I read here regarding the "Non-O based on child dependant" says that I have to have some signed copies from the mother?! You say the original birth certificate + my passport copy + copy of the legalization paper would be enough?

I do think it would be enough, if they ask you can always tell them that the mother is avoiding you. That might give you the first one to give you time to sort the rest out. However, you said you had the blue book so you can make a couple of copies anyway. I can not guarantee it, but I think it would be worth a try. Otherwise you just get a new tourist visa, so it gives you time to sort it in court with the mother.

Would it be enough in Sawannakhet to have only copies of the birth cert? Because I wouldnt really know where to start with obtaining the birth certificate, is it at the place where the children are born or the place where they are listed in the housebook?

You will not get away with not showing the original of the birth certificate. They will make you a new as I stated in the earlier post. That would be at the amphur that made the first cerificate. With that said, in the city they were born.

The last will be a real problem, the amphur where I was legalized as father requested 15.000 THB tea money.... and we had to sit there 5 hours and I doubt anybody wanted to speak to me. I doubt I can do that by myself, I think I wouldnt even get through to the counter.

Riddiculous! Did you pay 15k baht tea money? Really! In that case you shall contact the MFA and relevant authorities that controls the amphur. If they refuse to talk to you or want you to pay again, then you just bring it to a higher level.

8 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

Money talks. If you're not contributing any money for their living expenses, mother can always play game and not allow you to see your children.  MY suggestions will be to talk to the mother and come to an understanding how much you will contribute for their upkeep. Once that is settled, I believe you can get what you need for your visa and visits. What does the mother do? How did you meet her?

That´s a good advice. I took for granted that the OP tried that already, otherwise that´s always the first approach.