Seeking for some valid information on TR Visa

Good evening,

I am new to this form when it comes to contributing or starting a thread/post a commentary. I am a bit in a jam here and am looking for some valid and clear information. I am currently planning a 2 month trip (less 60 days stay) in Thailand with a TR visa. I have read and browsed many pages and forum entries, as well as asked the consulate/embassy, but did not see or got a clear and comfirmed info yet and therefore reaching out to some experienced members.

My parameters:

Nationalty: Swiss

Work: working in Switzerland

Previous stays in TH:

2018: 2 TR visa plus one VE (all in all about 180 days. It was my sabbatical year and accumulated holidays)

2019: 1 TR visa (less 90 days from Jan to April)

never any overstay, special stamp or issue during my stays. No borderruns to neighbouring countries, always flew back to Switzerland with my pre purchased ticket and at least 2 to 3 months in between visits to Thailand. Financial requirements are not an issue.

I do work in Switzerland and have no intention, no interest and nor the possibilty to work in TH. All i want is to enjoy the climate, the sea, surfing and diving.

Elite Visa program is not an option as i am not interested in a 5yrs period in TH. So please save the Elite Visa sales speech and links to these pages. I have seen it, read it and decided it is not suiting my current needs.

I plan to go to TH again in August/September on a 60days TR visa. I asked the local thai embassy if the previous visits and TR visa would be a problem and they said that it wouldn t be. Reading lots of posts regarding issues at Immigration, as well as seemingly new regulations (which I have never been able to actually see clearly stated by an official source yet e.g. 90 in 180 rule), I wonder if someone has some clear info or experience or would even recommend me to postpone/cancel my TH trip completely.

Thanks in advance for your advice and help.

J.P.

First, place very little credence in what embassies/consulates tell you about what immigration will do.

If entering through one of the Bangkok airports, there would be a risk of a denied entry, but your chances when entering with an actual tourist visa (not visa exempt entry) would be good. I would say there is a less than 10% chance you would be denied entry. To be fully confident, you could fly to a neighbouring country to Thailand and enter at a land crossing (avoiding Poipet and Padang Besar).

Edited by BritTim

OP this might help - this is what I do:

British PP, I visit Thailand on a Tourist Visa every year from late January to April (leave before Songkran) 

Usually stay between 70 to 85 days, getting one extension at Jomtien.

Rest of the year I'm usually not in Thailand.

Fly in and out of Suvarnabhumi.

I do always have a return ticket and at least 20,000 Baht equivalent cash - never been asked to show either at Immigration.

Been doing this every year for the past 10 - no problems so far.

Edited by VBF

5 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

What's a TR visa. My thoughts were "temporary residence"... but that doesn't fit here methinks?

It's the category code given to a Tourist Visa - often referred to on TV as "SETV" or "METV"

image.png.3e7e9d8100f64bc411270a9a0993af2e.png

Edited by VBF
  • Like 2