Pink ID card, very useful

gamini

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, SkyNets said:

The 30baht gold and SSO cover are 2 different things. If you have worked in thailand you would have paid into SSO, I think youre allowed a gap of 6 months if you change employers. The 30baht plan is only available to citizens.

not quite correct. it was available to foreigners with PR many years ago. And those like myself still have my 30 bt privileges. Being a foreigner I am not allowed to change my hospital same as Thais can. But I can still get free emergency treatment at any hospital. I now live in Hua Hin but I would have to go to Chiangmai for free treatment at my original designated hospital

10 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

I meant Ramathibodi Hospital. "Rama" is what everyone, Thai, I know call the place. They refer to the upper floors as "premium", possibly because you don't need to join the herd before getting into a specific queue.

All said, although I had no problem using the facility for a consultation with a specific doctor, from my limited experience, I would really be conflicted if I was requiring any major surgical procedure.

I'm all for saving money. But, ...

Thanks for the reply. I didn't use the premium because I didn't see see it and no one suggested it or even took me there. I've been to the hospital twice and had to wait eight hours both times and at age 88. It has been a real ordeal. I live five hours away from Bangkok so I had 20 hours of travelling as well. The doctors I saw were very good and it appears that I'm now having the operation on the 24th of this month. But still they want me to be there at nine o'clock on the 23rd but at least I have a private room. As far as I can make out the cost is about 10 percent of the private hospital price but I won't know until after the operation. I've been in a few public hospitals around the world and are all the same as far as overcrowded and understaffed. But I was particularly impressed how Rama handled thousands of patients and the facilities at the hospital were very good.

14 hours ago, gamini said:

Thanks for the reply. I didn't use the premium because I didn't see see it and no one suggested it or even took me there. I've been to the hospital twice and had to wait eight hours both times and at age 88. It has been a real ordeal. I live five hours away from Bangkok so I had 20 hours of travelling as well. The doctors I saw were very good and it appears that I'm now having the operation on the 24th of this month. But still they want me to be there at nine o'clock on the 23rd but at least I have a private room. As far as I can make out the cost is about 10 percent of the private hospital price but I won't know until after the operation. I've been in a few public hospitals around the world and are all the same as far as overcrowded and understaffed. But I was particularly impressed how Rama handled thousands of patients and the facilities at the hospital were very good.

Yes; here, in Bangkok, I have been fortunate enough to spoil myself with private hospitals. Now, in light of the fact that Thailand views me as "uninsurable", due to my age, my medical is out of pocket. But, if something major arises, I may have to bite the bullet. 

On 7/17/2019 at 1:51 PM, connda said:

I tend to agree.  In Chiang Mai private Sripat hospital is in the same building as Maharaj govenment hospital.

Some other member quoted a price of 79k THB for cataract surgery for one eye at Sripat.  Three years ago it was 60k THB at Maharaj for both eyes.  I tend not to want the toss money away for nothing.  Sripat and Maharaj share the same surgeries and doctors, just the price is different.

So, if you're not in a hurry - whip out the pink card and plan to spend the day in lines.  However, the price of the wait is a drastically discounted price.

Last week I had an appointment at the eye dept Banpheow hospital, the appointment was made about 6 months ago. There was no waiting, I went straight into the pre appointment checks and had to wait about 10 minutes to see the surgeon. He sent me to have the pupils dilated which took about an hour and then they took some scans, after which I had wait about another 10 minutes to see the surgeon again. He diagnosed cataracts in both eyes and recommended corrective surgery, and proceeded to the desk for appointments. This was the moment of truth, they whipped out the standard price list and the most expensive of the monofocal lens options was 13K and I agreed to an additional 5K for the operation to be carried out by the senior consultant which can only be done on a Sunday. I was then sent to have measurements taken for the lens. All in all about 2 hours in the hospital and with very little time not being seen to. Very efficient and treated just like everyone else.

I live in Chonburi and am registered at 5 Thai hospitals and have found the pink card extremely useful, particularly the cancer hospital where the first time I went my passport had to accompany the documents as they were passed around the various depts. Now they do the same as the Thais, put the ID card in a plastic sleeve and staple it to the documents, much better arrangement.

On 7/18/2019 at 9:05 AM, LivinLOS said:

You have to throw away 1 item.. your passport or your pink ID card.. Your call ??

Bit of a ridiculous post, your passport does not belong to you, for UK nationals it is the property of her majesty's government.

5 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

Yes; here, in Bangkok, I have been fortunate enough to spoil myself with private hospitals. Now, in light of the fact that Thailand views me as "uninsurable", due to my age, my medical is out of pocket. But, if something major arises, I may have to bite the bullet. 

You do not have to buy a policy from a Thai company to be insured in Thailand.

if age alone is the issue, get an expat policy from an international insurer.

35 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

You do not have to buy a policy from a Thai company to be insured in Thailand.

if age alone is the issue, get an expat policy from an international insurer.

Yes, I think I will sell the farm and do just that!

In Thailand, my doctor, medication, and major hospital expenses have cost me less than any "international" insurer can offer. 

1 hour ago, Curt1591 said:

Yes, I think I will sell the farm and do just that!

In Thailand, my doctor, medication, and major hospital expenses have cost me less than any "international" insurer can offer. 

So far. Will you be able to handle it if you have a catastrophic accident or illness with bill over a million baht (as can and does happen in government hospitals)?

International policies do not always cost more than Thai issued policies, in fact often the opposite.  And should be affordable for anyone with the required 65K/month in income.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

So far. Will you be able to handle it if you have a catastrophic accident or illness with bill over a million baht (as can and does happen in government hospitals)?

International policies do not always cost more than Thai issued policies, in fact often the opposite.  And should be affordable for anyone with the required 65K/month in income.

Been there; done that! 

Thanks for your interest in my situation. However, ...

Getting insurance, with nothing more than a history of runny noses, is expensive enough. But, add in "pre-existing conditions", and one is either paying through the nose, or, more often, anything remotely related to the conditions is excluded. In my case, most insurance that I have investigated would bacically cover those runny noses!

On 7/19/2019 at 10:49 AM, sumrit said:

Yes, in Chonburi, a few years ago.

Yes, at Pattaya City Hall (for Jomtien address) a few years ago.

Coincidentally, just yesterday, went along to add my gf to the Blue Book and the only ID they wanted from me was my Pink ID card which they cross referenced to the Yellow House Book.

Archived