cheapest house to buy / build in isaan

consider i buy / build a small home ( and i mean small )  in isaan,   what is the cheapest viable option there is,

say the in laws gave us a piece of land,   i was thinking of a small bungalow thai wooden home type , maybe a small simple one bed brick build , or a container house, 2 containers together one for bedroom etc,  obviously thats all we would need if ever i was to go down that path again,    i say again because i did buy build ex wifey a house 12 years ago in udon thani but the rate then was something like 73 baht to GBP and all in it only cost me approx 10k gbp.

rate now is 38 and forecasted to go down another 19% in next 4 years ........i have recently just been trawling through some currency forums and websites,

hence im battening down the hatches,   at this moment its just a thought,    a small dream if you will,      after all im getting on and i really dont want to be spending months upon months in pattaya again never mind the 10000,s of baht blown in the same shi**y bars / sois of pattaya.

any prices or links to thai style houses, teak homes in isaan ,  container homes ( meant to be the in thing these days and apparently the cheapest option too but i just do not know. 

told the GF  im not prepared to keep going to pattaya anymore,    last trips are costing me at least 4-5k everyday,  its no longer doable for me.

Containerkingsthailand   .com have a web site for actual container homes they have built and delivered to small villages in Isaan. They speak English. The insulation of any home will prove crucial in your PEA monthly bill in my opinion. There are free house plans available at most SCG dealers and the government office that issues permit to build in Thailand. Estimated costs are listed on those house plans. Global House has a very nice display of house plans you can buy near the front counter. There is a popular facebook page of Thai house plans you can buy and they will list the cost to build. Please check out the current availability of a new electric meter, maybe 15/45 service and new "Government or Village' water hook up on any "free land".  Long term if you build a home with white autoclaved wall blocks and paint it with solar reflective paint and select a reflective color roof tile, you will lower you monthly PEA bill.  

http://www.containerkingsthailand.com/

18 hours ago, nomad2019 said:

after all im getting on and i really dont want to be spending months upon months in pattaya again never mind the 10000,s of baht blown in the same shi**y bars / sois of pattaya.

18 hours ago, nomad2019 said:

told the GF  im not prepared to keep going to pattaya anymore,    last trips are costing me at least 4-5k everyday,  its no longer doable for me.

Dude, no disrespect, i do not want to fart on your parade, but you need to get real, get a hold of reality.

Pattaya aint the real Thailand.

I have built similar size all breeze block, rendered, tiled, plumbed and wired bungalows for staff for a quarter of a million baht.

In Udon province.

2 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Dude, no disrespect, i do not want to fart on your parade, but you need to get real, get a hold of reality.

Pattaya aint the real Thailand.

I have built similar size all breeze block, rendered, tiled, plumbed and wired bungalows for staff for a quarter of a million baht.

In Udon province.

thanks, but just heard these containers are the business, looking for websites thai wood houses

Forget wood. Expensive. Breeze block walls and metal sheet roof way to go. With luck a reasonable 1 bedroom 1 living room bungalow could be built for 250,000 baht if you have land to build on providing that the ground floor area for the two main rooms does not exceed 32 square meters.

29 minutes ago, SteveK said:

If you already have the land, you can have a small Isaan style house built for under 250k.

This week , i have seen a pre-fabricated ,  metal framework house , 

delivered on a wide bodied low loader , and laid down on a ready made concrete base .

I expect it will be occupied  within a mounth . Planning permission not reqd .

Brill...

17 hours ago, David B in Thailand said:

Containerkingsthailand   .com have a web site for actual container homes they have built and delivered to small villages in Isaan.

Looking at their website, all the pictures are stock (scraped) photos from other companies. Are they really legit?

Building cheap, one is often tempted to use 'it boc" (solid concrete bricks) that Thais most often use.

However any house built from these bricks becomes an efficient oven that heats up during the day and stays warm for many hours after sunset.

From my experience a concrete slab exposed to the sun will heat up in the same way. Building lightweight rooms well above ground level seems to give the best comfort levels, although not the cheapest. Basically Thai timber houses have proven to be the best however termites love them. 

Concrete or steel stilts can overcome this problem. Roofing design is also crucial to prevention of heat ingress. 

I agree coolthaihouse.com has a huge amount of useful info.

avoid living in one of the estates where all houses are crammed together and look the same. full of inconsiderate middle class idiots with barking dogs. some of them have 5 ratty small dogs barking all day... nightmare

5 hours ago, xerostar said:

Building cheap, one is often tempted to use 'it boc" (solid concrete bricks) that Thais most often use.

However any house built from these bricks becomes an efficient oven that heats up during the day and stays warm for many hours after sunset.

From my experience a concrete slab exposed to the sun will heat up in the same way. Building lightweight rooms well above ground level seems to give the best comfort levels, although not the cheapest. Basically Thai timber houses have proven to be the best however termites love them. 

Concrete or steel stilts can overcome this problem. Roofing design is also crucial to prevention of heat ingress. 

I agree coolthaihouse.com has a huge amount of useful info.

Best way to keep a house cool is a wide roof overhang so that the sun never touches the walls - especially in the west.  So carefully position a veranda/terrace on that side.  I agree that the roof design is also critical - well insulated and ventilated.  If you do plan on keeping the A/C on during the day, or running it to arctic temparatures overnight, then insulated blocks are essential, but otherwise, standard concrete blocks work fine.

Wood houses are getting really expensive nowadays (at least 4x over the past 10 years), and have constant maintenance requirements, which is not a word in the Thai dictionary.

Other's have suggested around 250k minimum.  I would agree this should just about get you a basic 1 bedroomed (with A/C), 1 bathroom, lounge area (fan), & basic outside kitchen, under a sheet roof.   Worth adding a bit more to put it on "stilts" to improve cooling, and give you some storage/parking underneath, IMO.

Would be good to understand your expectations other than cost (such as your budget). Size of the building and level of amenities and decor is important too.

Pre-built wooden (knock down) structures can be found alongside major highways. Build quality is unfathomable and teak would most likely be outside your budget. Even recycled timber is quite expensive nowadays.

Better to have a structure where you can at least exhibit some level of control over construction. So, a cement and steel steel structure is probably your best option. An alloy roof is not so heavy and the reduced weight results in a lesser requirement for the specified steel (and columns) to support it. 

Just recently built a basic 420 square metre walled structure which cost 950,000 THB. Plus furnishings.

I paid for labor and bought materials.

Reckon 300,000 THB should easily build you an 80 square metre, furnished Thai house.

Would like to know opinions about dry wall house. Concrete posts, steel roof structure and the a double dry wall with insulation.
In theory it sounds good, cheap and fast to build.

10 hours ago, alacrity said:

Reckon 300,000 THB should easily build you an 80 square metre, furnished Thai house.

300'000 thb : 80 m2 = 3'750 thb/m2 !!!

for that money a farang can not build a simple standard house,

or your definition for a house must be very different to mine!

maybe a picture would help to see what a house for that price looks like ..

My wife built a timber framed, iron roof, 2 bed, 90m2 home on concrete poles about 15 years ago in Srisaket province. The exterior walls were clad in cement boards, gyprock/drywall interior and plywood floor. All up the house was around 450k Baht. The only thing that has required a re-think is the plywood flooring as the quality was poor and she's opted for relaying it with compressed concrete sheets 2500x1200x12 mm.

Could have probably halved the material cost if she went with concrete block but the labour 

quotes were farang wife based.... fortunately she knew someone that was handy with a hammer and saw. Timber IS very expensive in comparison to concrete and steel construction but it does have a nicer 'feel' I think.

IMG_2705.JPG

IMG_2707.JPG

DSC01709.JPG

12 hours ago, motdaeng said:

300'000 thb : 80 m2 = 3'750 thb/m2 !!!

for that money a farang can not build a simple standard house,

or your definition for a house must be very different to mine!

maybe a picture would help to see what a house for that price looks like ..

I think I did say a 'Thai' house. not a 'farang' house. The OP did say they were looking for a [Thai house] standard. 

Surprising what you can build in 'Nakhon Nowhere' and be happy.

At 420 square metres, it's even cheaper.

In addition. I did state 'plus furnishings'.

kensisaket,

I have a list of thai wooden house suppliers. 

There are many around Thailand that can supply ' knock down ' houses starting at 200,000 baht and up to 4-5 million baht , depending on what you want. 

I have built 2 houses up country, one wooden bungalow and a block 2 br. 

In the search box on the top right side of this page ….  type in

The list is under the topic ' Any recommendations to buy a knockdown house ?' 

Then click on that topic and read all about houses.

On 7/20/2019 at 8:14 AM, RasiMike said:

My wife built a timber framed, iron roof, 2 bed, 90m2 home on concrete poles about 15 years ago in Srisaket

???? What would you estimate the cost is for this era?

Archived