Poll: Has any Thai person (other than an immigration officer) told you to go back to your home country?

Jingthing

Farang Go Home?  

276 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finished with my contract work. I was not actually living here but in and out of the country every couple months. I mentioned that I was going to retire and got the "Oh are you going back to your own country." And at least one or two had a nasty push with that question that was not really a question.  :biggrin:

Thais are way too polite to tell you to go home. They just ask you when you will be returning home. But if you happen to answer "I plan to stay here forever!" they rarely seem pleased. All I ever get is a confused or crestfallen look.

That's a good point. I also noticed that many Thais have issues processing the idea of a foreigner living here permanently.

I had business with a lawyer and without prompting she started ranting about how she didn't even understand why so many foreigners choose to live here far away from family.

Another Thai with a less respectful job asked me what crime I was running away from back home.

But never a direct go home Farang type of thing.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

That's a good point. I also noticed that many Thais have issues processing the idea of a foreigner living here permanently.

I had business with a lawyer and without prompting she started ranting about how she didn't even understand why so many foreigners choose to live here far away from family.

Another Thai with a less respectful job asked me what crime I was running away from back home.

But never a direct go home Farang type of thing.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You should have informed them that a huge % of Thai birds are trying very hard to leave LOS and family....

19 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

16 minutes ago, petemoss said:

Did you tell her the truth?

If so, did you have to kill her afterwards?

Never been told to go back to my home country by either a Thai or Farang but then I have not had the bad taste to bad mouth LOS as some migrants have to certain countries that have given them shelter. 

I've seen drunk Thais in Thonglor telling drunk farangs to go back to their countries, I've even had one do it to me once, but the guy was just drunk and looking for a fight.  His friends were very apologetic and made him sit down and shutup.   They were young rich Thais for what it's worth.  

Having been taken to Thailand for a holiday by a Thai woman (gf at the time), and during an argument, I was told she was going to get me thrown out of her country. It never happened.. but, a few years later, after her husband died and she had to look after her son (12 years old) and after more arguments I contacted the local council in my country and told them my one bedroom flat was not big enough for the 3 of us. I was happy when they re-located the 2 of them. However, being the nature of the beast, she soon got her hooks into another mobile ATM. I wish him luck.

8 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

In nearly 10 years here, never has an immigration officer or any other Thai person told me to go back to my home country. Never.

Yes I agree with you 100 percent, going futher I would doubt very seriously anyone has been told to go home unless they were in an argument or fight with a Thai.

People who constantly say they do not want us here are saying more about themselves than the thais

6 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

well last time I was in Pattaya a few weeks back I got verbally abused by a

Thai women I was just waiting in front of 7-11 for my lady friend

Would that be sexually abused? Don't worry about it, I live in Pattaya and it happens to me all the time. It's just the local's way of showing affection. It's quite nice when you get used to it.

7 minutes ago, petemoss said:

Would that be sexually abused? Don't worry about it, I live in Pattaya and it happens to me all the time. It's just the local's way of showing affection. It's quite nice when you get used to it.

I wish it would be sexually but only verbal

I answered No, which is sort of true.

You see my beautiful darling wife of 12 years once told me to go back to where I came from in a heated, rare argument, and I said as quick as I could, "done", with her as quick reply being, "I follow you", we kissed, we made up and we had rough sex on the dining table, end of story, i.e. when the kids walked in on us ????

7 hours ago, petemoss said:

Plenty of expats on online forums have said it with venom. I've no idea why but they usually seem to be Americans.

Probably a trauma born from the famous motto: yankee go home! 

35 minutes ago, moe666 said:

People who constantly say they do not want us here are saying more about themselves than the thais

I have to disagree with you on this as my Thai wife has told me from day one, i.e. 12 years ago that Thai's generally don't want farangs here, although will tolerate us, to back this up, my daughter of 10 years of age has told me at school, some teachers paint fales pictures of farangs, e.g. her class was told by one teacher not to trust farangs, they don't understand the Thai culture and disrespect Thai's, now that is pretty harsh and I did raise this with the wife as our daughter was born in Australia and has been here 4 years.

My wife looked at me and said remember what I told you 12 years ago and again before we moved here, now she has twin boys aged 15, and when I asked them if they ever heard negative comments from teachers about farangs, they both yes, all the time, now if that is what is being taught in schools, and has been from generation to generation, one has to wonder if my wife is correct in what she told me, I don't doubt her, as she has no reason to lie to me about it, she has made me aware of Thai's and to NEVER trust a Thai, and I can see why over the years.

What people are saying as you state, i.e. they do not want us here, has truth in it, it's up to the individual to believe it or not, as much as I know Muslim's in certain countries are not wanted, call it racism if you like, I prefer to call it what it is, like a spade is a spade, and for the record, I have never had an issue with a single Thai, always pleasant, wai etc etc and I have found them to be as accommodating, it's just what it is behind all the smiles.

6 hours ago, FredGallaher said:

Or the EU or UK with all its problems. 

No no no... in these countries, they tell the locals to go home, that is to go barricade themselves in their homes while the refugees wreak havoc (Sweden is at the forefront of this new kind of policy) 

9 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

In nearly 10 years here, never has an immigration officer or any other Thai person told me to go back to my home country. Never.

Ditto...more than 30 years here.

My wife regularly tells me to go home - with her in tow and making sure she has PR in Australia. Our life back home is very nice.

In reflection, I have only been told to go home by crusty old dudes that sit in front of a keyboard. Never by a Thai. My wife tells me there is but a lot of jealousy in other Thais having bagged a farang but she deals with that.

Archived