Poll: Has any Thai person (other than an immigration officer) told you to go back to your home country?

Jingthing

Farang Go Home?  

276 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Twenty years ago, I was diagnosed with skin cancer (melanoma) in a Pattaya hospital, by a Thai doctor. He told me I should go home to my home country. I explained that Thailand was now my home country and I had lived here for nineteen years. He then gave me a piece of paper with Chonburi Cancer Hospital written on it and told me to go there.

Did so, and twenty years later still here and cancer free.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, JAFO said:

I always wondered what would be the point of insulting someone that wouldn't understand what you are saying to them. I mean the entire point of an insult is to get a reaction of some sort. ????

However usually when someone wants to insult another it is after that person has done something to upset them or made them angry. 

Why do people cuss at dogs. Wife yells at my dog to stop digging.  Tells the animal she will give her to Korean people.  Dog looks at me for guidance.  I say quietly, "Stop digging."  "OK boss, dog stops digging in wife's garden."

9 hours ago, petemoss said:

Never by a Thai national. Plenty of expats on online forums have said it with venom. I've no idea why but they usually seem to be Americans.

There are many expats who are members of the "if you don't like it, go home" brigade who only say that hiding behind a keyboard. But I would not say that most of them are Americans.

In my case, and surprisingly, it was a Thai doctor in my local Government hospital. 2 years ago I went to seek advice about an infection on my neck which did not respond to several types of antibiotics. During the consultation he stated that, in his opinion, it was skin cancer and I should go back to my home country for treatment with no alternative suggestion. That was it so I went to a private hospital (not Ram or Bangkok) here in Issan where a surgeon removed the benign lump and performed cosmetic surgery to cover the hole - total cost 15,000 baht. I still attend "out patients" for 6 monthly checks - for free! So no need to go back home (UK) with costly air fares for starters.

Twenty years ago, I was diagnosed with skin cancer (melanoma) in a Pattaya hospital, by a Thai doctor. He told me I should go home to my home country. I explained that Thailand was now my home country and I had lived here for nineteen years. He then gave me a piece of paper with Chonburi Cancer Hospital written on it and told me to go there.

Did so, and twenty years later still here and cancer free.

That counts but that sounds like more of a suggestion based on concern for you rather than the standard hostile motivation.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I've been here for 7+ years and I've never been told that by anyone (IO's included). My Thai language skills are decent enough (with still a lot of room for improvement) and when I speak Thai to people here, they really seem to light up. 

In fact, I've had Thai people thank me for teaching children here (I've taught in Thai govt. schools) and some have even said things like, "You're basically Thai already."  I laugh to myself as I know how impossible that is on many levels. Still, it's a nice sentiment for them to express.

There are a lot of things about living in Thailand that I can't stand, so I've got to remember the good things here too. 

PS: If you haven't already, LEARN TO SPEAK THAI!! IMO it will make one's experience with Thai people so much better overall.

I am pretty old and I seem to remember an old saying used in America.  "America, Love It or Leave It!" Back in the 60's...  I believe the Thai's have a similar saying but not as direct and I am sure more than just a few frang have had it used at them...  "This Is Thailand" usually followed by a foot stomp. ????????

I was sitting in big c, eating ice cream, two toddlers sat beside me, also having ice creams, the older one ( maybe 5-6 ) says  with a giggle,“ go home” in respectable English. Hi so mom joins us, and the little darling fires off another ( clearly with moms approval) “ GO HOME ! “.  No Thai smile from mom.  The un varnished truth . So, I did what I felt was necessary at the time, I stood up strong and tall ,without any hesitation, ordered another ice cream.

On 7/17/2019 at 3:31 PM, moe666 said:

Yes I agree with you 100 percent, going futher I would doubt very seriously anyone has been told to go home unless they were in an argument or fight with a Thai.

People who constantly say they do not want us here are saying more about themselves than the thais

Wake up.  I was in a lineup once in big c with what looked like a well to do thai lady picking through coupons and arguing with the lady teller about discounts.  As this went on seemingly endlessly my sigh was met with "this is my <deleted> country not yours" so I think you need to open those rose colored glass lenses a bit.

On 7/18/2019 at 2:01 PM, Pancho said:

I was sitting in big c, eating ice cream, two toddlers sat beside me, also having ice creams, the older one ( maybe 5-6 ) says  with a giggle,“ go home” in respectable English. Hi so mom joins us, and the little darling fires off another ( clearly with moms approval) “ GO HOME ! “.  No Thai smile from mom.  The un varnished truth . So, I did what I felt was necessary at the time, I stood up strong and tall ,without any hesitation, ordered another ice cream.

Did you feel left out on this poll so decided to jump on the “ go home bandwagon”. Reads like a total BS story. 

I must admit this has only every happened to me once, although I would have to say some 'looks' say a thousand words.

Me and my wife were in a rather upscale restaurant/bar in Thonglor, when some seriously drunk Thai man decided he just didn't like the look of me for whatever reason. 

He started ranting in terrible English, I responded in fluent Thai.

He resorted with the time tested F*#K you farang, plus many more epithets, ended in the F*&k off back home, to which I responded that I was going 'home' to Khon Kaen tomorrow.

That just unleashed another tirade against Lao Thai's.

That got my wife unhinged, and it just became a total shouting match. Eventually security threw the dude out, but the Lao security guard said to my wife, "thats all you need to know about what they think of us and your husband" 

That incident and that lowly security dude made a lasting impression on me

Archived