BANGKOK
webfact

Thanathorn admits Thais cannot rely on foreigners to fight for democracy

1 hour ago, fishtank said:

Not by Thais you don't.

Granted,not by so many Thais but some and I have noticed that this is slowly changing about as slowly as the march towards democracy.I have noticed I no longer see the pickups roaming around in search for dogs to sell for culinary purposes. 

2 hours ago, Lungstib said:

The powers that have ruled for 80 years have ensured that no foreigners living here in Thailand can have any effect so I assume he is talking about outside countries. Why would they care, business is business.

Business is the key to ALL political maneuvers. Business interests WILL be protected at all costs. Were it not for business, there would have been several "extractions" of US prisoners held in Thai prisons for "heinous" acts such as violating the Computer Crimes law, as well as another "crime" that cannot be mentioned.

• Like 2

Most other countries under unsatisfactory regimes, freed themselves with bloody uprisings. The French Revolution was the single finest moment for freedom surpassing even the American Revolution. Any such revolution in Thailand, would take YEARS to execute those who deserve to die for their criminal acts against the state.

• Like 2

When a major Cambodian politician admitted he consulted an outside country (the USA) for suggestions on how to improve democracy in that country, he was forced into exile. Not that it could happen here, but anyone should think carefully about "interference" from outside.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, petemoss said:

Also, a large percentage of Thai people would not want or appreciate our help, it's all about "face".

I'm sure a large proportion of countries have a similar situation in regards to outside help.In regards to the face issue here they call it losing face in english speaking countries we call it stubbornness,which is quite common in the west,I know a lot of falang go on about this loss of face thing and many other issues here in Thailand but I see most counties seem to suffer from the same maladies and in about the same quantities.It seems to me it's part of the look what they are doing and don't look at what I'm doing because if you see what I'm doing you might see something I don't want you to see.

Anyone who understands Thailand might suspect Khun Thanathorn is just playing to the necessary Thai anti-western sentiment. 

He was recently in EU to bolster support to democracy. 

Meanwhile, here in Thailand, his opposition were fomenting the anti-western sentiments of Thais, saying things like

... "don't let the international community mess up our Thai efforts" and

... "don't allow westerners to meddle in Thai affairs" 

Now he's back in Thailand doing the necessary 'farangs are bad routine' to win back political points to prove he is a "real" Thai. 

For the people who long thought he is some kind of newly modern Thai savior, or even represents significant progress, I still encourage you all to think deeper about the real soul of the nation which is decidedly xenophobic. 

The young Thais dislike western ideas sns influence just as much as their grandparents, despite their superficial interests in iPhones and high fashion. 

Thanathorn is probably just like all other Thais before him. No significant differences. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Maybe he hasn't met with the CIA yet, they love a challenge 😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

No foreigners will help to effect changes and restore democracy in Thailand

This is because Prayuth & co fear farangs empowering Thais with opinions and criticisms so they use Immigration laws & police traps to persuade them to move to Vietnam.

This seems to be his only successful policy to date.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mikebell said:

This is because Prayuth & co fear farangs empowering Thais with opinions and criticisms so they use Immigration laws & police traps to persuade them to move to Vietnam.

This seems to be his only successful policy to date.

And does he thinks he is doing the right thing? 

Just now, ocddave said:

Maybe he hasn't met with the CIA yet, they love a challenge 😉

They just keep getting it wrong big time and cause more problems than if they had kept out of it.

• Like 1