BANGKOK
webfact

Thanathorn admits Thais cannot rely on foreigners to fight for democracy

7 hours ago, webfact said:

“We cannot get this society from the international community

like you didn't get the military junta from the international neither, all done by Thais as it should

• Like 1

3 hours ago, soalbundy said:

So ? Name me any country that has real democracy ( a mythical word that is) I can remember a wise old man in the UK when I was doing my apprenticeship telling me ;- "When industry is booming you will be forced to do all the overtime possible, when there is a recession you will be unemployed and when there is war you will be stuck in a uniform and told to kill some poor sod like yourself or be killed for a group of champagne scoffing elites safe in London"

Every country where the people have their say and the voice of the majority is upheld by law.

Every country where the military is commanded and acts according to the peoples wishes or their elected representatives.

Your old wise man is not so wise. He is just a lazy old man looking to blame others for his own inability to be successful in life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

... anyhows, you don't fight for democracy - you vote for it

You fight for liberty, justice, etc etc - and that is a job for Superman

50 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I really don't know what his angle is with this. Why is he even mentioning foreigners? Is it at attempt to blame the foreign community for not helping them or is it a way to encourage Thais themselves to stand up to the regime without implicitly saying it and risking a jail term for "spreading disharmomy" or whatever Prayut calls it? Either way, it's a Thai problem for Thai people to sort out, I don't really see Thailand spending it's resources to help other nations with their problems so I'm not sure what they are expecting from other nations.

It would be a bit like Boris Johnson stating that "we can't expect the Thai nation to resolve Brexit for us, we must do it ourselves". It's so obvious that it's meaningless, it's fatuous.

Even if foreign powers tried to help I believe most Thais would tell them to stop interfering in Thailand's internal issues. So yes it is up to Thailand to resolve the problem of the Thai military's interference in Thai politics but I won't be holding my breath.

Exactly, as I hinted at in earlier posts. 

There is more to the obvious statements than their face value. 

And, anyway, Thai communication famously happen with meaning highly dependent on context and requiring lots of interpretation of vague statements. 

It's fascinating that long time westerners in Thailand (or any part of Asia) haven't understood this. One would have to try very hard to ignore this fact. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

They were getting organized in 2010 before the army shot over 90 dead in the street and since then it has been illegal for more than 5 to gather to demonstrate, it's not that they have not tried but each time they do they get kicked down.

I agree and 2010 should have been the start. Unfortunately to remove a corrupt regime often involves a prolonged fight with many making the ultimate sacrifice. The Thai military have a past history of killing innocent people, knowing full well that up to 200 will scare most Thais away. They should look  to other countries as examples of what is required.  However strategically you never kill a snake by grabbing its tail, you have to cut its head of first.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Eligius said:

I don't know how some people can think that Thanathorn is a mini-me version of Thaksin. He is very different. 

Firstly, Thaksin famously said that 'democracy is not my goal'. Well, it is very much Thanathorn's goal (or a major portion of his goal). 

Next, I have never heard Thaksin in the past constantly, from the very start, and as a fundamental  political principle deplore the incursion of the military into Thai politics. Thanathorn makes this a central plank of his policies - keeping the military permanently OUT of Thai politics.

Thirdly, Thanathorn is on record as criticising the way Thaksin conducted business when he was P.M. Thanathorn speaks out against corruption in a clear way. 

Fourthly, many of the Red Shirts (even Thaksin himself) have made statements over the years that were anti-gay. Thanathorn is progressive - believing in giving fairness to ALL sections of society, including gays, women and the disabled.

Fithly, Thanathorn spent many years actively concerned with, and working towards, the betterment of foreign poor peoples and their lot. From his student days onwards, he has shown a lot of humanitarian concern. I did not see that with Thaksin (although of course he is infinitely better than what Thailand has suffered for the past 5+ years and did significantly impact the lives of poorer Thais and give them a voice).

So: is Thanathorn a Thaksin clone?

Hardly!

Yet now they are both united against the militarists. And that can only be a good (and long overdue) thing.

I remain to be convinced about Thanathorn's true motives. On the face of it he could be the younger person to lead Thailand forward.  However given his families fabulous wealth, and we all know that no family makes that money or grow a business to that extent without bum licking to those above and not to mention "donations" to facilitate governmental approvals,  just how much of this has rubbed off on Thanathorn.  Like Shinawatra before him, is he just identifying himself with those that really care , whilst behind the scenes perhaps have other motives ?  But I hope I am 100% wrong.

• Like 2

The whole fetish over "Democracy" is silly and misplaced. What you need to focus on is good government. The two best led Asian nations over the past century have been Japan and Singapore. Japan was a one party state for most of that time and Singapore a quasi-dictatorship. Discussion of how much better Vietnam is than Thailand nowadays is rife on this forum. Nobody complains about Vietnam having no Democracy whatsoever. 

Whether it is a monarchy, oligarchy, dictatorship, military junta, republic, or democracy, the fundamental marker of a government is its effectiveness in creating a good country. Instead of the constant bickering over the form of government, more focus should be placed on working together to identify problems and promote solutions. 

• Like 1

OK Thai people. Help is on the way. I just authorized the first wave. Today is not a good day to go to immigration offices.

9 minutes ago, usviphotography said:

The whole fetish over "Democracy" is silly and misplaced. What you need to focus on is good government. The two best led Asian nations over the past century have been Japan and Singapore. Japan was a one party state for most of that time and Singapore a quasi-dictatorship. Discussion of how much better Vietnam is than Thailand nowadays is rife on this forum. Nobody complains about Vietnam having no Democracy whatsoever. 

Whether it is a monarchy, oligarchy, dictatorship, military junta, republic, or democracy, the fundamental marker of a government is its effectiveness in creating a good country. Instead of the constant bickering over the form of government, more focus should be placed on working together to identify problems and promote solutions. 

Interesting points. BUT how can 'more focus be placed on working together and identifying problems and solutions' when under a Dictatorship no one is allowed even to speak of those very real and ongoing problems, let alone put forward radical measures to solve them?

And you cannot get rid of a dictatorship. That is the problem. They cannot simply and easily be booted out of power.

(Some people are seeing this first-hand in a certain part of the world today ....).