Thanathorn admits Thais cannot rely on foreigners to fight for democracy

webfact

Sure, here's an example, my Thai sons brother in law (Khun X) is very vocal about everything, he has never been outside Thailand in his 48 years, never had more than a labouring job (nothing wrong with that), close to no education, never watches a news service etc. I have met him many times.

When my son married his sister, Khun X, at son's wedding  started collecting names and addresses of all family members, all ages. 

Then he approached my son with the list asking my son to get the 50,000Baht a month salary a month started from the Australian government for all family members.

Son told him there's no such thing. BIL insisted it's true - the Australian government is so rich they give every Australian all ages incl., all children, and working or not working about 50,000Baht a month, and if the Australian is abroad it extends if there's a marriage, to all members of the in law folks.

Son asked him to provide proof - he insisted he can't provide proof because the whole scheme is secret and nobody is allowed to talk about it. 

Lots of anger when the first payment never arrived, son told Khun X to telephone the Australian Embassy and get angry with them. He didn't call. 

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Sure, here's an example, my Thai sons brother in law (Khun X) is very vocal about everything, he has never been outside Thailand in his 48 years, never had more than a labouring job (nothing wrong with that), close to no education, never watches a news service etc. I have met him many times.

When my son married his sister, Khun X, at son's wedding  started collecting names and addresses of all family members, all ages. 

Then he approached my son with the list asking my son to get the 50,000Baht a month salary a month started from the Australian government for all family members.

Son told him there's no such thing. BIL insisted it's true - the Australian government is so rich they give every Australian all ages incl., all children, and working or not working about 50,000Baht a month, and if the Australian is abroad it extends if there's a marriage, to all members of the in law folks.

Son asked him to provide proof - he insisted he can't provide proof because the whole scheme is secret and nobody is allowed to talk about it. 

Lots of anger when the first payment never arrived, son told Khun X to telephone the Australian Embassy and get angry with them. He didn't call. 

Sadly that's an anecdote that could probably be repeated about many Australians living in Australia about (and you can read it every day on TV about one First World country or another) refugees or migrants

On 7/17/2019 at 11:41 AM, scorecard said:

nice comments.

"Hence Mr Thanathorn is well advised to listen and study how non-Asian countries work but then look for a Thai version of democracy."  Can I suggest folks do further reading about Khun Thanathorn' extensive & comprehensive education in several other countries, also his past statements about reducing the gap, his past activities with the poor and disadvantaged.

Further he has brought into his party balanced clever, humble people who speak well, have civil society as their anchor point etc. Folks with past baggage are not accepted. 

He impresses me, I think he's the person.

I could not agree more, he is from a new generation, attracted millions of younger voters and is definitely one of the tickets to Thailand's future (for the time being the only one though). Encouraging the way he brushes off the dinosaurs who all try to breathe down his neck and yes, for the first time ever the establishment is scared sh1t and possibly aware that their days are counted and they are on the definite way out - in longer or shorter term! 

5 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

I could not agree more, he is from a new generation, attracted millions of younger voters and is definitely one of the tickets to Thailand's future (for the time being the only one though). Encouraging the way he brushes off the dinosaurs who all try to breathe down his neck and yes, for the first time ever the establishment is scared sh1t and possibly aware that their days are counted and they are on the definite way out - in longer or shorter term! 

I guess you aware of his sidekick, a highly respected young law professor who is smart, he already has an impressive track record, values same as Thanathorn, doesn't accept crap, good debater, speaks perfect English (as does Thanathorn).

Plus I don't know if you saw a profile of his party executive team, maybe 2 weeks ago, all of them well experienced young people with good values.

Their party already has a policy, previous politicians from other parties / previous politicians with baggage banned from joining the FF party. 

On 7/17/2019 at 4:06 AM, webfact said:

No foreigners will help to effect changes and restore democracy in Thailand

We are all a bit busy filling in our forms to be bothered with democracy in Thailand. Who here in Thailand and being (temporary) in the Kingdom has that type of vested interest in the place? Tomorrow they will change their minds and want stool samples not older than 2 hours to extend our visas. Nobody really cares as nobody is here permanently and for that matter Thailand has no oil or resources anyone wants. 

As for Thanathorn I have one question. Your government treats foreigners like crap so why should any foreigner here or abroad, government or individuals care about your issues when you dont give a crap about ours? Life is a two way street and you should know better.

On 7/17/2019 at 5:58 AM, YetAnother said:

they treat us like dogs and we are in the conversation for 'helping' them ?

You must have an awful life here, I feel sorry for you. Would you not consider going home?

I've lived here for 11 years and have never once been treated like a dog, not once. 

If you want an example of people being treated like dogs go take a look at the construction sites around this country or at the people working 12 hour shifts for 330 baht a day. 

Hope you can learn some gratitude and a bit of appreciation for life here but I suspect you will just continue being a grumpy old sod. 

1 hour ago, aqua4 said:

We are all a bit busy filling in our forms to be bothered with democracy in Thailand. Who here in Thailand and being (temporary) in the Kingdom has that type of vested interest in the place? Tomorrow they will change their minds and want stool samples not older than 2 hours to extend our visas. Nobody really cares as nobody is here permanently and for that matter Thailand has no oil or resources anyone wants. 

As for Thanathorn I have one question. Your government treats foreigners like crap so why should any foreigner here or abroad, government or individuals care about your issues when you dont give a crap about ours? Life is a two way street and you should know better.

As Nora said "are you for real?"

I just ran across this for the time and admit to reading none of the comments, but my first reaction is to feel it's a stupid thing to say, and I can't see how making such a statement will endear him to his fellow Thais. 

Of course it won't be foreigners who help or influence Thai politics in any way. Doesn't this young man understand the strong and deeply ingrained xenophobic nature of Thais? Thais would never allow anyone but Thais to be part of changes in Thai politics, although the Chinese seem to have a lot of influence on the Junta leader. 

If he wants to stay in the spotlight a little longer, I think he should give a lot more consideration to the type of things he says. I can see a lot of Thais taking offense to this person suggesting that Thais haven't been managing their own political situation very well, even if it is true. 

2 hours ago, aqua4 said:

Speaking as an alien here for 15 years, employer of many and buyer, though not owner, of several properties I share concerns how things have been changing.

But some posters seem to have totally lost the plot.  Most days are pleasant and shared with really nice Thai people.

Thanathorn would like to have a government, but he does not.  The issues he wishes to improve should attract our interest and support. 

He has been picked on for being western educated as if this makes him some kind of a traitor to real Thai values.

A bit of a hero in a political environment where they are thin on the ground.

9 hours ago, Inn Between said:

I just ran across this for the time and admit to reading none of the comments, but my first reaction is to feel it's a stupid thing to say, and I can't see how making such a statement will endear him to his fellow Thais. 

Of course it won't be foreigners who help or influence Thai politics in any way. Doesn't this young man understand the strong and deeply ingrained xenophobic nature of Thais? Thais would never allow anyone but Thais to be part of changes in Thai politics, although the Chinese seem to have a lot of influence on the Junta leader. 

If he wants to stay in the spotlight a little longer, I think he should give a lot more consideration to the type of things he says. I can see a lot of Thais taking offense to this person suggesting that Thais haven't been managing their own political situation very well, even if it is true. 

You mean engage brain before putting mouth into gear?Sorry severe lack of synchromesh,and can only engage reverse gear!

14 hours ago, JemJem said:

Hey, he is wrong. For instance, the US/NATO have brought democracy to Iraq and Libya !!

Oh, but, wait ........

Yes and after not too long it all fell apart with disastrous consequences including violence and death.

12 hours ago, Inn Between said:

I see your point however if you talk to a few Thais folks, all level of society, age etc., most Thai do understand what h'es saying and support him. I have regular contact with;

• - Young uni students (bachelor and masters level)
  •  
  • - The production staff (young and older folks) at a big factory where I have consulting work.
  •  
  • - Young and old professors.

The vast majority of all of these folks are talking about 'we need change', I want change', 'time for big change', etc., and many of them can explain what they mean.

IMHO Khun Thanathorn and his party are making progress to get Thailand much more informed, but of course a long way to go.

Yep, 'buddy', no problem that far (who needs pesky farangs anyway, outside of their money), the 'mega' problem is with your fellow Thais who have about zero, zilch, naught interest in any kind of politics that will not bring them direct financial profit, village, district, province, country, you name it! Because-they-have-no-other-choice-than-focus-on-the-primary-needs-of-the-next-day! And in that lays the dirt, the vice of 'the system': under-education (to be polite...), supported(!) addiction to materialism, huge loans (//to re-payment potential), exploding consumption goods' prices, and you create a nation of lemmings, ...easy to control and manipulate! That simple, and, alas, sooo successful in Thailand!

Archived