Germany's Von der Leyen secures powerful EU executive top job

webfact

38 minutes ago, petemoss said:

Oh it gets worse. One of the biggest fears for Brexiteers is the formation of a European army, which Germans have previously mooted.

Every previous EU president has wanted to leave their own particular legacy on the EU, their personal pet project.

Now I wonder what legacy the former German Defence Minister is likely to want to leave on the EU?

Brexiteers are turning in their shallow graves.

Maybe you missed it, but Germans don't want more military. They also don't want nuclear weapons like the UK and France.

Most Germans learned from their past. Unfortunately that can't be said about some other nations.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Letseng said:

She had no competition.

And? So what? MEPs could have voted against her. Like her or not, she was democratically elected. 

23 minutes ago, Letseng said:

And the Visegrad countries were bought to support her. Hated Orban and Co. will dictate the rule now. 

Please provide evidence for your claim, otherwise I consider it conspiracy theory. 

26 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Please tell me: How many Brits do currently decide who your new prime minister will be?

It would be laughable if it wouldn't be so serious. 

You can deflect all you like. This topic is about the selection of the EU Commission President.

1 hour ago, petemoss said:

Oh it gets worse. One of the biggest fears for Brexiteers is the formation of a European army, which Germans have previously mooted.

Every previous EU president has wanted to leave their own particular legacy on the EU, their personal pet project.

Now I wonder what legacy the former German Defence Minister is likely to want to leave on the EU?

Brexiteers are turning in their shallow graves.

No. We are in amazement at your shallow mind.

21 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe you missed it, but Germans don't want more military. They also don't want nuclear weapons like the UK and France.

Most Germans learned from their past. Unfortunately that can't be said about some other nations.

It's not that they don't want them, they're not allowed them. Very strict restrictions were put on the german armed forces after the war. Those restrictions have been relaxed but not removed.

Yes the Germans learned from the past, we taught them.

25 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

They don't want to pay for more military.

1 minute ago, petemoss said:

Says who? You? Do you base this on any fact or did you dream it last night?

Looks like you are attacking the poster........ be careful those stones don’t break your greenhouse.

2 hours ago, Libai said:

She did really well to win, did she not?  Now then, how many candidates were there?  None!  Oh just her then.  I see democracy in action................

The Euro-Sceptics could have put up a candidate but why bother, complaining while not contributing is so much easier.

Brexiteer gaslighting in full glow.

The claim that the appointment of Van der Layen was not Democratic is utter hogwash.

The vote here was for the final agreement by MEPs to her appointment, she was proposed during the bargaining all political parties took part in after the EU elections.

The more votes each party received in the election, the more MEPs they have, the more votes they have in her appointment.

Farage failed in his attempt to form an alliance with other Eurosceptic groups, which altogether never had enough support to put up a credible candidate.

If Brexiteers don’t like the way that operates they are going to hate the proportional representation many Brexiteers are baying for.

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Brexiteer gaslighting in full glow.

The claim that the appointment of Van der Layen was not Democratic is utter hogwash.

The vote here was for the final agreement by MEPs to her appointment, she was proposed during the bargaining all political parties took part in after the EU elections.

The more votes each party received in the election, the more MEPs they have, the more votes they have in her appointment.

Farage failed in his attempt to form an alliance with other Eurosceptic groups, which altogether never had enough support to put up a credible candidate.

If Brexiteers don’t like the way that operates they are going to hate the proportional representation many Brexiteers are baying for.

I just hate giving you a like, but you are worth it....????

2 minutes ago, transam said:

I just hate giving you a like, but you are worth it....????

It’s not my fault Brexiteers don’t understand how the EU Commission President is appointed.

But then most have a stunningly poor understanding of how their own government works.

3 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Indeed - at least we in the UK have 2 high quality, hugely principled candidates to choose from for next PM. Oh wait, we don't get to choose. It is down to 0.1% of the electorate to choose. And neither could be thought of to be even remotely high quality or principled. Oh, and the government doesn't have a majority mandate to govern but took taxpayers' money to bribe some backwards thinking, terrorist supporting creationists to prop them up. Democracy in action, indeed.

But that's unfortunately the way it works - regardless of which political party is lining their own pockets in government. The Opposition is led by a hypocritical terrorist supporting terd who wants to destroy the UK as we know it. Now his main opponent will be a wishy washy indecisive waffler or a hypercritical liar whose proved he wouldn't know the truth if it bit him. 

The PM is, in the UK, largely controlled by the party grandees and cliques. But as we can see from membership of the various political parties, those interested in politics and taking an active role is a fraction of the population. So we get what we accept.

27 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It’s not my fault Brexiteers don’t understand how the EU Commission President is appointed.

But then most have a stunningly poor understanding of how their own government works.

Based on the various threads on TVF since the Brexit referendum, your points would appear valid.

I'm appalled at the ignorance of both subjects repeatedly shown on various social media sites by many posters on both subjects. 

Actually, I don't remember the workings and structure of the British government, constitution and representative parliamentary system being covered in any great depth in schools when I was at school. No idea if that has changed but it would seem not. Wonder if that's the same or different in other EU countries? Most of my German friends seem to know exactly about their government processes.

2 hours ago, AGareth2 said:

A German

wants an army

and a united Europe

funny how history repeats itself

yes, that is an interesting tag,

she is a firm federalist

I think coming up with someone like that today shows that EU is a bit short of adequate candidates

my German friends claims that the past handfull of years has shown that Leyen is a weak politician

challenged when it comes to pushing issues through hurdles and land properly at the end of

a political process

well,

she is not the first and will not be the last compromise candidate taking an office

with a mandate which is not strong

wonder what BJ will make of this

I can understand a Thai does not know much about the EU, but.. British citizens, living in an EU member state since 1972...Maybe never got anything about the EU organisation at school ?

The EU is NOT a country, not a federation, not even a confederation, but.. an alliance of member states. Means, the leaders of the member states are the ones, who are in charge, forming the EU council. The president of that = Tusk. Appointed after an election for the leaders of governments, forming that council.

Then we have a "commission", to be compared with a commission of ministers, with a commissioner from each member state, appointed by THAT member state.  Each commissioner has a certain task, like.. a minister in a normal state. The president is now Ursula von der Leyen as successor of Jean Paul Juncker. In the past this person is elected by the heads of states of the EU members. Also the EU parliament has something to say about that appointment, by a Yes of NO vote. However THIS time the EU parliament tried to force their candidate to the ER council by bringing forward the "Spitzen candidate = Front runner candidate by the tree mayor parties, in the hope, the EU member states' leaders would accept this. Pity for them, that failed.

The EU Parliament has ONLY to choose the president of that parliament, which is now David Sassoli  as successor of Antonio Tajani

EU parliament has only a veto about the president of the Commission, whatever they make up as story.

5 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

She received 383 votes, with 327 votes against, and 22 abstentions or blank votes.

The Polish Pis (Euros sceptics) backed her, many Greens did not.

383 votes = 52,3 %. A massive more as the 51,88 % in which the British decided to leave the EU.

5 hours ago, nauseus said:

The reason remains the same. This shining example of EU democracy reinforces that reason even more - a lot of Britons will have looked at this vote for the first time and are now able to realize what a sham it is.

Ah... because you British do not know much about the EU...

The president of the EU Commission is ONLY elected by the leaders of the EU member states. The EU parliament has only a veto right, whatever these parliament members ( remind: ONLY a Spitzenkandidat from the three leading parties)  tell before the elections ( just as Boris promised 350 million pounds per week for the NHS) 

7 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

I can understand a Thai does not know much about the EU, but.. British citizens, living in an EU member state since 1972...Maybe never got anything about the EU organisation at school ?

The EU is NOT a country, not a federation, not even a confederation, but.. an alliance of member states. Means, the leaders of the member states are the ones, who are in charge, forming the EU council. The president of that = Tusk. Appointed after an election for the leaders of governments, forming that council.

Then we have a "commission", to be compared with a commission of ministers, with a commissioner from each member state, appointed by THAT member state.  Each commissioner has a certain task, like.. a minister in a normal state. The president is now Ursula von der Leyen as successor of Jean Paul Juncker. In the past this person is elected by the heads of states of the EU members. Also the EU parliament has something to say about that appointment, by a Yes of NO vote. However THIS time the EU parliament tried to force their candidate to the ER council by bringing forward the "Spitzen candidate = Front runner candidate by the tree mayor parties, in the hope, the EU member states' leaders would accept this. Pity for them, that failed.

The EU Parliament has ONLY to choose the president of that parliament, which is now David Sassoli  as successor of Antonio Tajani

EU parliament has only a veto about the president of the Commission, whatever they make up as story.

Very informative but I think you meant to say Jean Claude Junker, not John Paul. maybe you were confusing him with Pope John Paul, an easy mistake to make.

5 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Indeed - at least we in the UK have 2 high quality, hugely principled candidates to choose from for next PM. Oh wait, we don't get to choose. It is down to 0.1% of the electorate to choose. And neither could be thought of to be even remotely high quality or principled. Oh, and the government doesn't have a majority mandate to govern but took taxpayers' money to bribe some backwards thinking, terrorist supporting creationists to prop them up. Democracy in action, indeed.

Why the House of Lords has nothing to say about the next leader of the Toreis and with that PM of the UK ?

Simply, because by law it is nothing for there lords, only for the Commons.

Same: president EU commission: the leaders of the EU member states elect that person ( so May) , the EU parliament only has a veto right.

see  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President_of_the_European_Commission

https://europa.eu/european-union/about-eu/presidents_en  

3 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

Simply, because by law it is nothing for there lords, only for the Commons.

Nothing for the Commons either. Purely down to Tory party members. I think that he needs Royal assent to become Prime Minister but usually a formality.

4 hours ago, AGareth2 said:

A German

wants an army

and a united Europe

funny how history repeats itself

Oh you mean the wishes of Schuman + Monnet + René Pleven, French Premier and former Defence Minister ( Fr).

https://www.cvce.eu/en/education/unit-content/-/unit/803b2430-7d1c-4e7b-9101-47415702fc8e/29a4e81c-c7b6-4622-915e-3b09649747b8

France Maintains Goal of Creating a 'European Army': Minister ...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-07-14/france-maintains-goal-of-creating-a-european-army-minister

Three quarters (75%) are in favour of a common EU defence and security policy according to a special Eurobarometer on security and defence in 2017 and a majority (55%) were in favour of creating an EU army. More recently 68% of Europeans said they would like the EU to do more on defence (March 2018 Eurobarometer survey).  see  http://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/headlines/security/20190612STO54310/eu-army-myth-what-is-europe-really-doing-to-boost-defence  

Again a Brit, who does not know much about European history, but try to see a German danger everywhere.

4 hours ago, petemoss said:

No, the French and British have bigger and better armies than the Germans/Austrians. Does Germany have Trident missiles?

No but a formidable tank army of 325 pieces. Netherlands borrowed 18 of them...

( Compared with the 12.000 Russian tanks)

Today, it has 182,000 soldiers and 325 tanks, and spends just 1.3 percent of G.D.P. on defense. see https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/20/world/europe/germany-defense-spending-european-army.html   

5 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

And, so what? What’s your point? 

I am not a fan of her, quite the opposite. But she was democratically elected, 383 MEP voted for her. 

383 MEP voted for her, Yet anti- Brexiteer Ruam Ruby complains that only 160,000 people get to vote for the next Tory leader.

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Actually, I don't remember the workings and structure of the British government, constitution and representative parliamentary system being covered in any great depth in schools when I was at school. No idea if that has changed but it would seem not. Wonder if that's the same or different in other EU countries? Most of my German friends seem to know exactly about their government processes.

We in NL learnt that at school...

44 minutes ago, petemoss said:

Very informative but I think you meant to say Jean Claude Junker, not John Paul. maybe you were confusing him with Pope John Paul, an easy mistake to make.

Sorry, did not check it thoroughly enough...

12 minutes ago, Thairealist said:

383 MEP voted for her, Yet Ruam Ruby complains that only 160,000 people get to vote for the next Tory leader.

How many Tory MPs shortlisted Boris and the other bloke, leaving the only real opposition to Boris (Gove) out?

Archived