Germany's Von der Leyen secures powerful EU executive top job

webfact

22 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

That's not what the poster wrote.

The poster wrote that the EU wanted everyone "accepting the euro, their own anthem... " etc etc.

Thanks for that, I've actually got that poster on ignore, it seems he would rather attack the poster than offer anything constructive to the debate.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

That's not what the poster wrote.

The poster wrote that the EU wanted everyone "accepting the euro, their own anthem... " etc etc.

And yet somehow, despite all the massive power attributed to the EU, the UK managed to keep its currency. And the reason for that is simple: the EU isn't nearly as powerful as its critics maintain. Still no EU army either. And not even close to a totally Federal Europe. More nationalist hysteria.

5 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

I don’t know. That wasn’t the question. I said she’s the most powerful person in the UK political system. 

Before a bill passed can become law, her approval is required. That’s not a formality. 

When has she ever refused?

On 7/17/2019 at 6:18 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Please tell me: How many Brits do currently decide who your new prime minister will be?

It would be laughable if it wouldn't be so serious. 

The entire UK electorate get to vote for the party that leads the country based on the parties' manifestos. The party will elect the leader, and on rare occasions the leader is elected mid-term. We (the voters) do not have a vote when it comes to the key EU Commission positions. 

It's really not a logical comparison you make.

And if you want the numbers, there are around 124,000 Conservative members voting for their new leader versus a population of around 65 million. 

751 MEPs cast their votes for the (only) candidate for Commission President versus an EU population of >500 million. 

So the numbers weaken your argument even further.  

On 7/17/2019 at 12:07 PM, transam said:

Brilliant, and remainers can't see it.......Mind boggling....

the Only way to change things in the EU and have your say with leverage is to be IN the EU 

4 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Again, I never said she refused one. I said she has the power to.

If the Queen refused to sign off a bill of law, at the very least she would be forced to abdicate. It's highly likely that it would lead to the monarchy being abolished. 

In a constitutional monarchy, the monarch cannot continue if they are publicly opposed to the democratically elected government.

It would be pedantic to suggest the Queen is the most powerful person in UK politics - and i'm sure you're not pedantic...????

10 hours ago, NightSky said:

the Only way to change things in the EU and have your say with leverage is to be IN the EU 

But nothing is going to change because they don't want it to change. The command structure has shown how dodgy it is, what the EU future holds is the axis will be third time lucky...

10 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

If the Queen refused to sign off a bill of law, at the very least she would be forced to abdicate. It's highly likely that it would lead to the monarchy being abolished. 

In a constitutional monarchy, the monarch cannot continue if they are publicly opposed to the democratically elected government.

The question wasn’t what could happen in future. The question was who the most powerful person in the UK is; only that I commented on. 

10 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

It would be pedantic to suggest the Queen is the most powerful person in UK politics - and i'm sure you're not pedantic...????

It’s a fact she is. If facts are pedantic for you, fair enough. 

1 minute ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

The question wasn’t what could happen in future. The question was who the most powerful person in the UK is; only that I commented on. 

It’s a fact she is. If facts are pedantic for you, fair enough. 

Think you are missing the point that on paper she is the head of state but in reality she has no clout at all. She is the UK's figurehead, and an excellent one too...

4 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

You originally said: most powerful person in the UK political system. 

16 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

I don’t know. That wasn’t the question. I said she’s the most powerful person in the UK political system.  

Before a bill passed can become law, her approval is required. That’s not a formality. 

48 minutes ago, transam said:

Think you are missing the point that on paper she is the head of state but in reality she has no clout at all. She is the UK's figurehead, and an excellent one too...

I’m afraid you’re wrong. “in reality” she has the final say on any new law and can veto or accept it however she likes. 

4 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

I’m afraid you’re wrong. “in reality” she has the final say on any new law and can veto or accept it however she likes. 

If Boris came to her to prorouge parliament, she would do it.

If he came to her for a referendum, she would do it.

If he came to her for a dissolution of parliament, she would do it.

Whatever is placed before her she will consent.

She is a figurehead and has no real power.  If she interfered with with politics she would soon find herself ex-Queen.

Comparing QE2 in terms of political power to the executive of the EU is absurd.

11 minutes ago, teatree said:

She is a figurehead and has no real power. 

She might tell him that if he has any aspirations to being on the civil list he should stop being silly. He probably would. "Who says she has no influence?"

14 minutes ago, teatree said:

I’m afraid that is just a claim that you cannot prove. Either way, it doesn’t change the powers she has. 

14 minutes ago, teatree said:

She is a figurehead and has no real power.  (...)

Comparing QE2 in terms of political power to the executive of the EU is absurd.

She is the most powerful person of the state. It is only absurd to compare her with an EU politician because she (1) is unelected, and (2) has more power. 

6 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Can I thank you,as a none British citizen, for educating us British on how our political system operates. It’s on a par with you telling us how we must not Brexit, as you don’t like our version of Democracy.

7 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Feel free to ignore the word “political”; it wasn’t the most accurate choice of words I admit. 

Don't worry, most Brits will have ignored the entire comment, as it was nonsense 

1 hour ago, Thairealist said:

Can I thank you,as a none British citizen, for educating us British on how our political system operates.

You’re welcome. You should know all that stuff yourself. 

1 hour ago, Thairealist said:

It’s on a par with you telling us how we must not Brexit, as you don’t like our version of Democracy.

I didn’t, but never mind. 

Archived