Jump to content
BANGKOK 19 August 2019 00:11
Gustomucho

30 Days limit, arriving late at 23:55.

Recommended Posts

Hi, I am planning a trip to Thailand, I am from Canada, based on my research I can stay 30 days without a visa.

 

My flight would be arriving at BKK on the 1st of November at 23:55; if I wait until 00:00 to get over the immigration process, will they date it as arriving November 2nd? 

 

I plan to stay until the 1st of December, that would be 30 days if they date the arrival the 2nd but 31 days if they date arrival on the 1st of November.  The difference in airfare price is around $500 dollars or 12 hours layover in Shangai so the dates are pretty important.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your day of arrival is counted as day 1.

Even if your flight is early doubt you could pass immigration by 00:01AM even if you tried you can always dawdle at the Arrival Card writing desks. Permission of stay would be until Dec 1.

 

Go take a break in the toilets?

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The time the immigration chaps change the stamps seems to be a bit variable, but it should be well past midnight by the time you get to the desks anyway.

 

Check your stamp before leaving the desk and ask the officer to change it if it's incorrect. Even if he won't you would only have one day overstay on the 1st December, no fine and a small stamp in your PP.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Even if he won't you would only have one day overstay on the 1st December, no fine and a small stamp in your PP.

If he wont? He have the duty to change if its wrong. All people do not want undesired "small stamps" in their passport. Probably the reason why the OP asks, because I don´t think the main reason is for 500 baht (if that would have been the case, but its not).

If he refuse to change its just to speak to a superior. Making them work the right way can only be achieved if more people stand up and tell them when something is wrong.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Crossy said:

 

It wouldn't be the first time that the date or arrival of the flight rather than the time you arrive at the desks has been cited as day 1.

 

In the current climate, arguing with an immigration officer or his superior when you've called him (which I omitted to mention), is, shall we say unwise.

 

Ok, let´s say it might. In that case the best option is to go to an immigration office and pay for an extension, even if only one day is needed. then the OP has done all right and have nothing to worry about. We are talking about 1900 baht here, and probably not an object.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Ok, let´s say it might. In that case the best option is to go to an immigration office and pay for an extension, even if only one day is needed. then the OP has done all right and have nothing to worry about. We are talking about 1900 baht here, and probably not an object.

No. If leaving on day 31 from either Bangkok airport there is no point wasting time an money applying for an extension. 

 

Immigration, at BKK, do do not charge an overstay fee if the overstay is less than 24 hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Gustomucho said:

So my date of arrival would be November the 2nd?

Probably.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, elviajero said:

No. If leaving on day 31 from either Bangkok airport there is no point wasting time an money applying for an extension. 

 

Immigration, at BKK, do do not charge an overstay fee if the overstay is less than 24 hours.

It doesn´t matter if they charge or no charge. The thing is that it is an overstay. If you then compare overstaying 1 day, with an extension that not leads to an overstay. Then how ever you would like to turn things around to be right, the only real answer is that the extension is the best choice.

What you are suggesting is a little hole in the system, and a cheap way out still doing it the wrong way, hence your stamp in the passport. Do you really believe that Immigration department from bosses to the people on the floor likes that behaviour? Maybe that kind of way to treat the country as a guest, is one of the many reasons why things get harder all the time.

Summary of the exact thing you are suggesting and condoning with your comment is: Never mind, break the immigration law, out of the simple reason you do not have to pay for the first day when leaving.

My question is: Would you feel happy if a person you provided with an answer would get caught on the way to the airport or when exiting his hotel?

Edited by Matzzon
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Crossy said:

t wouldn't be the first time that the date or arrival of the flight rather than the time you arrive at the desks has been cited as day 1.

Yes, that's what I thought too. Pitching up at immigrations a few minutes past midnight would mean his flight arrived before midnight and the IO is probably aware of when his flight landed anyway.

 

if the IO already changed his date stamp, he might let it go, but if he's a stickler for accuracy, he might still change the arrival stamp back to the date before midnight .

 

Also agree that starting an argument isn't going to teach the IO a lesson, as suggested by another poster and I doubt the officer's superior is going to side with the passenger on a flight that clearly disembarked the day before.

 

Best to hope that the flight arrives a bit late.

Edited by Suradit69

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

It doesn´t matter if they charge or no charge. The thing is that it is an overstay. If you then compare overstaying 1 day, with an extension that not leads to an overstay. Then how ever you would like to turn things around to be right, the only real answer is that the extension is the best choice.

What you are suggesting is a little hole in the system, and a cheap way out still doing it the wrong way, hence your stamp in the passport. Do you really believe that Immigration department from bosses to the people on the floor likes that behaviour? Maybe that kind of way to treat the country as a guest, is one of the many reasons why things get harder all the time.

The “bosses” are clearly not bothered by a 1 day overstay, which is why they order fines to be waived.

 

They also do not, in most cases, issue a standard overstay stamp. They stamp the passport stating specifically that the person overstated less than 24 hours, to highlight its not a problem.

 

The reason they make this concession is because many people do not realise that the day the arrive counts as day 1, and in trying to maximise their stay book flights which turn out to be on day 31.

 

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

Summary of the exact thing you are suggesting and condoning with your comment is: Never mind, break the immigration law, out of the simple reason you do not have to pay for the first day when leaving.

My question is: Would you feel happy if a person you provided with an answer would get caught on the way to the airport or when exiting his hotel?

No one is going to be arrested and sent through the court system if caught on the way to the airport on day 31.

 

I am 100% happy to advise anyone leaving on day 31 from BKK that they needn’t bother extending their stay as a formal concession is in place as authorised by the “bosses”.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, elviajero said:

No one is going to be arrested and sent through the court system if caught on the way to the airport on day 31.

 

I am 100% happy to advise anyone leaving on day 31 from BKK that they needn’t bother extending their stay as a formal concession is in place as authorised by the “bosses”.

You do not know that 100%.

Overstaying is breaking the law. You are advising people to break the law, as well as you also break the forum rules by condining and advising about an illegal activity. I wouldn´t be happy about that.

Edited by Matzzon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

there IS another option.....

If the OP's flight on Dec 1 is very early in the day, as in the wee morning hours, he might be able, depending on his airline, to check his baggage in and go through Immigration very late in the day on Nov 30.  It's a long shot I know.....but just a thought?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...