Republican support for Trump rises after racially charged tweets - Reuters/Ipsos poll

webfact

Republican support for Trump rises after racially charged tweets - Reuters/Ipsos poll

By Chris Kahn

2019-07-16T225459Z_1_LYNXNPEF6F1PY_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRUMP.JPG

U.S. President Donald Trump speaks during a cabinet meeting at the White House in Washington, U.S., July 16, 2019. REUTERS/Leah Millis

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Support for U.S. President Donald Trump increased slightly among Republicans after he lashed out on Twitter over the weekend in a racially charged attack on four minority Democratic congresswomen, a Reuters/Ipsos public opinion poll shows.

The national survey, conducted on Monday and Tuesday after Trump told the lawmakers they should “go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came," showed his net approval among members of his Republican Party rose by 5 percentage points to 72%, compared with a similar poll that ran last week.

Trump, who is seeking re-election next year, has lost support, however, with Democrats and independents since the Sunday tweetstorm.

Among independents, about three out of 10 said they approved of Trump, down from four out of 10 a week ago. His net approval - the percentage who approve minus the percentage who disapprove - dropped by 2 points among Democrats in the poll.

Trump's overall approval remained unchanged over the past week. According to the poll, 41% of the U.S. public said they approved of his performance in office, while 55% disapproved.

The results showed strong Republican backing for Trump as the Democratic-led U.S. House of Representatives passed a symbolic resolution on Tuesday, largely along party lines, to condemn him for "racist comments" against the four Democratic lawmakers.

All four U.S. representatives - Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York, Ilhan Omar of Minnesota, Ayanna Pressley of Massachusetts and Rashida Tlaib of Michigan - are U.S. citizens. Three were born in the United States.

The public response to Trump's statements appeared to be a little better for him than in 2017, after the president said there were "very fine people" on both sides of a deadly white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia.

In that instance, Trump's net approval dropped by about 10 points a week after the Charlottesville rally.

This time, while Democrats and some independents may see clear signs of racial intolerance woven throughout Trump's tweets, Republicans are hearing a different message, said Vincent Hutchings, a political science and African-American studies professor at the University of Michigan.

"To Republicans, Trump is simply saying: 'Hey, if you don't like America, you can leave," Hutchings said. "That is not at all controversial. If you already support Trump, then it's very easy to interpret his comments that way."

By criticizing liberal members of the House, Trump is "doing exactly what Republicans want him to do," Hutchings said. "He’s taking on groups that they oppose."

The Reuters/Ipsos poll was conducted online in English and gathered responses from 1,113 adults, including 478 Democrats and 406 Republicans in the United States. It has a credibility interval, a measure of precision, of 3 percentage points for the entire group and 5 points for Democrats or Republicans.

(Reporting by Chris Kahn; Editing by Colleen Jenkins and Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-07-17

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Polonius says of Hamlet's responses, "Though this be madness, yet there is method in't." 

In a face of mounting criticism one can do only 2 things, fold of plow on with the fullness of resolves ridiculing his opponents and foes and putting them on notice, will it work? some pundits in the knowhow sees him winning the next elections, who knows, so far so good, for the united america of Trump that is...

I support Trump in this latest hate-fest against him. He spoke his mind, which he is entitled to do, not to downplay the fact that he is quite correct. If some people hate the USA so much they can leave and find a more suitable home elsewhere. 

There is no evidence whatsoever that Trump is a racist or bigot or whatever names are being thrown around here. Luckily Donald has clarified matters on his excellent Twitter account.

"Those Tweets were NOT Racist. I don’t have a Racist bone in my body! The so-called vote to be taken is a Democrat con game."

Now that he clarified his comments were not racist, I hope we can finally put the whole matter to bed, and move on with our lives.

10 minutes ago, webfact said:

Support for U.S. President Donald Trump increased slightly among Republicans

Say what you will, that ignorant, vindictive, racist, spud, knows his base, their deeply rooted beliefs and true desires.   :thumbsup:

8 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

"Those Tweets were NOT Racist. I don’t have a Racist bone in my body! The so-called vote to be taken is a Democrat con game."

I just saw an interview of a Republican governor who flat out admitted that yes, the tweet WAS racist. Four Republican members of congress along with the Democrats condemned Trump for his racist tweets. You KNOW when even some of the Republicans are admitting Trump is a racist that the fabric of Trump's racist foundation is being recognized for what it is and is coming undone.

Just now, watcharacters said:

And they shall not be uprooted.

If the human race doesn't destroy itself, they'll eventually be exterminated like the bugs they are. Too many kids today are mixed race. It may take generations, but the pure white blood will some day be a thing of the past. IF we don't blow ourselves up.

21 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

I support Trump in this latest hate-fest against him. He spoke his mind, which he is entitled to do, not to downplay the fact that he is quite correct. If some people hate the USA so much they can leave and find a more suitable home elsewhere. 

There is no evidence whatsoever that Trump is a racist or bigot or whatever names are being thrown around here. Luckily Donald has clarified matters on his excellent Twitter account.

Now that he clarified his comments were not racist, I hope we can finally put the whole matter to bed, and move on with our lives.

Racist says he is not a racist and for some strange reason you believe him.

That aside, opposing Trump is not by any measure ‘Hating America’.

The scoundrel is wrapping himself in the flag, and spouting hate and racism.

But you are right, he speaks his mind, and reveals it to be full of filth.

22 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

Say what you will, that ignorant, vindictive, racist, spud, knows his base, their deeply rooted beliefs and true desires.   :thumbsup:

I suspect he knows those of a few of his ‘wonderful, great to be with’ friends too.

But feeding base desires is no way to run a country, though it may be a way to get power of a few in key influential positions.

29 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Stop lying about what Trump said. He didn't say "If some people hate the USA so much they can leave and find a more suitable home elsewhere."

"The president wrote: "So interesting to see 'progressive' Democrat congresswomen, who originally came from countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe, the worst, most corrupt and inept anywhere in the world (if they even have a functioning government at all), now loudly and viciously telling the people of the United States, the greatest and most powerful nation on earth, how our government is to be run."

"Why don't they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime-infested places from which they came. Then come back and show us how it is done."

He didn't tell them just to go elsewhere. He told them to go back where they originally came from. 3 out of the 4 were born in the USA.  They are native born Americans. So his comment only makes sense if bigotry was behind it.

He is doing this deliberately, he would never admit a mistake, it is not in his DNA.

He wants to spotlight the Democrats to deflect from what he feels could be coming from other matters currently before the courts

Besides racist is a two syllable word as is bigot. Not two of the "best big words he knows"

Trump administration has accomplished wonderful things for the country...

These controversial tweets detract from the real pressing unresolved issues like immigration reform and give his opposition fuel to keep the impeachment chant going...????

One of these communist women described 9/11 as 'something some people did' then lied about Muslims having their civil rights taken away after, painting them the victims. Another has said growing cauliflowers is 'colonial' and lies about illegal immigrants having to drink toilet water. I support the president, he did not mention race at all.

13 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

One of these communist women described 9/11 as 'something some people did' then lied about Muslims having their civil rights taken away after, painting them the victims. Another has said growing cauliflowers is 'colonial' and lies about illegal immigrants having to drink toilet water. I support the president, he did not mention race at all.

It wasn't something some people did?

And I knew that desperation to exonerate Trump would lead to saying he didn't mention race. OK fine. He's not a racist. He's just a bigot. Three of those women were born in the USA. He told them to go back to where they originally came from. That kind of remark only makes sense if bigotry is behind it.

8 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

It wasn't something some people did?

And I knew that desperation to exonerate Trump would lead to saying he didn't mention race. OK fine. He's not a racist. He's just a bigot. Three of those dark skinned women were born in the USA. He told them to go back to where they originally came from. That kind of remark only makes sense if bigotry is behind it.

Here she is describing a terror attack that killed over 3k people now as some people who did something, then lies about Muslims having their civil rights taken away and even lies about when the terror support group was founded, that she supports of course. By keeping these traitors and liars in the public eye Trump is just getting closer to being re elected

1 hour ago, quandow said:

If the human race doesn't destroy itself, they'll eventually be exterminated like the bugs they are. Too many kids today are mixed race. It may take generations, but the pure white blood will some day be a thing of the past. IF we don't blow ourselves up.

Currently estimated that by 2045 - 2050 whites will be in the minority in the USA.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-avenue/2018/03/14/the-us-will-become-minority-white-in-2045-census-projects/

3 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

If you didnt think his comments were racist...you are way out of touch and/or hiding behind patriotism..get out of here with that #freedom talk..

I choose to not support a 'hero' who reduces our civil liberties and continues war while duping people into believing he will help them..Do yourself a favor and support your own socioeconomic class (middle I assume) and the poor

3 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

You are absolutely right! These Trump supporters are the real rot of American Values and civil liberties. The mid-west is rampant with them and in the work place.

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

Here she is describing a terror attack that killed over 3k people now as some people who did something, then lies about Muslims having their civil rights taken away and even lies about when the terror support group was founded, that she supports of course. By keeping these traitors and liars in the public eye Trump is just getting closer to being re elected

I really like her headpiece

2 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Which terror supporting group does she support? Actually, unlike Trump, she clearly does not support the main terror supporters:

"Omar has tweeted the name al Qaeda twice, in February and March, both times critically. In February, she wrote, "Not getting enough attention: US-made weapons shipped to Saudi Arabia and UAE ended up in the hands of al Qaeda and other extremists, violating the law." In March, she wrote, "The Saudi royal family has literally helped fund al Qaeda. This is the debate no one wants to have but needs to be had. Saudi accountability is long overdue."

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/15/politics/trump-falsely-accuses-omar-al-qaeda-fact-check/index.html

21 minutes ago, candide said:

Which terror supporting group does she support? Actually, unlike Trump, she clearly does not support the main terror supporters:

"Omar has tweeted the name al Qaeda twice, in February and March, both times critically. In February, she wrote, "Not getting enough attention: US-made weapons shipped to Saudi Arabia and UAE ended up in the hands of al Qaeda and other extremists, violating the law." In March, she wrote, "The Saudi royal family has literally helped fund al Qaeda. This is the debate no one wants to have but needs to be had. Saudi accountability is long overdue."

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/15/politics/trump-falsely-accuses-omar-al-qaeda-fact-check/index.html

absolutely. how can you argue with her statement, about the need to debate US relations with Muslim terrorists?  It was the US government which spirited the Saudi Royal family out of the country days after 9/11. The US still shows total support for what goes on in Saudi Arabia, (including chopping up US residents) despite they supplied the bombers on 9/11. That is what I find incredible. Trump is a coward. 

6 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

You are speaking such nonsense, it is hard to even comment on it. Because I criticize some things here in Thailand, does that mean I hate Thailand? How about you? Does that mean I should return to the US? Such utter foolishness. Sorry, but you have been consuming way, way too much kool aid.

First of all the land that Trump speaks of, with regard to three of these women, is the USA. Second, when he says that their home countries are corrupt, and poorly governed, though he may be right (in terms of their ancestry), he failed to take into account they are US citizens. So, he was mistakenly referring to the US! Thirdly, when he was criticizing them for having the temerity to blast "the greatest country on earth", he failed to take into account that they are lawmakers. They are duly elected congresswomen. If they do not stand up for what needs to be fixed, who will? Now con woman Conway is going a step further, and lying about these women hating our troops. Where does this nonsense end? Civil war? 

What he said was absolutely racist, and the man despises people of color. And he despises women of color, who are powerful, even more! He is a hate monger. A divider. A dangerous man. It is a fact that in the counties where he holds his rallies, violence against people of color spike, after the rallies. He was not speaking his mind. What he was doing was simple juvenile retaliation for the criticism leveled against him, which he cannot handle, because he is not man enough to deal with it.

12 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

What he said was absolutely racist, and the man despises people of color. And he despises women of color, who are powerful, even more! He is a hate monger. A divider. A dangerous man. It is a fact that in the counties where he holds his rallies, violence against people of color spike, after the rallies.

Can we see some evidence of the spike in attacks against poc, or do you mean in the Jessie Smollet sense? The only people who seem to mention race are people like these 4 clown democrats who throw it in all the time, then complain Trump is the one dividing the country!

6 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

He is doing this deliberately, he would never admit a mistake, it is not in his DNA.

He wants to spotlight the Democrats to deflect from what he feels could be coming from other matters currently before the courts

Besides racist is a two syllable word as is bigot. Not two of the "best big words he knows"

Deliberately yes, distraction for the MSM to make it headline story. This smothers the s$$t he should be in over the Epstein chapter. If that was headline story its all over red rover.

Archived