Chiang Mai Immigration

lexilis

Just got a new US passport. I have a letter from the Consulate that allows the transfer of my Thai retirement visa into the new passport. This is to be done at Thai Immigration. Question: How onerous a process is this? Is it fairly quick and easy or the opposite? I have not dealt with CM Immigration in years since I've always used a visa agent (first AssistThai and now OS Thai Visa) to get my yearly renewals and the 90day reports. But the service wants 2000 Bt to get the transfer done. That seems excessive. I'll just do it myself if the process is not too bad. Anybody with recent experience doing this at CM Immigration? 

When I did it a couple of years back, they wanted the form noted and a photocopy of every filled-out page of my old passport (plus copy of TM6 and TM30).  They might not want all of that for you but probably wise to have all those copies on hand.

Other than that, they handled it at CM Immigration in about 20 minutes and, as stated, there's no fee for this.  I'd recommend immediately checking the dates on the transferred stamps (retirement extension and any re-entry permit) as, if they make an error there, you'll want to get it corrected before you leave.  

(Edit - and they'll want a photocopy of your new passport photo page too).

Archived