"They must have gone to the temples instead!" - Pattaya as dead as a dodo in the holidays

webfact

4 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Yes this explanation makes the most sense.

The beaches only look more empty because they have been made more wide.

You nailed it Sir.

But how about that speed boat operator saying his bookings are 80% down?

If I go there in the evening I see endless speedboats parked there. Perhaps they are too many or there are not as many group tours as before where all these many Chinese were always blocking the Beach Road when they were looking at the photos or waiting for the bus. I think the tourism might have changed or starts to change. 

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess all those Indians tat was touting about as new revenue for pattaya up and scattered like the wind that brought them. They must have come in packs for the booze and babes also. So unlikely they would stay when bars closed and babes went home to see their families. By this articles reckoning, pattaya is still more the single hotspot. Otherwise families would have been out in flux during this religious holiday. 

12 minutes ago, ed strong said:

There's nothing wrong with using more than 100% if used as an expression of how far something has dropped or increased.

If you caught 1000 cod one month compared to 900 the previous month then catches are up 10%

if you then caught 2100 cod the following month then catches are up over 105%

Maths not your strong point then. Things can be 1000% up but never more than 100% down.

If you catch 100 cod one month and 0 cod the following month your catch would be 100% down. How many cod would you have to catch for them to be 200% down?

"Speedboat operator Uthit Attasaengsee painted an even greater picture of gloom. No one was taking recreational trips on his boat and business was down 80% year on year he reckoned. 

He called on someone, somewhere to do something about it. No one suggested who that might be."

Don't worry - TAT and the new PM will have an answer! 

6 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Not sure what this has to do with tourist numbers. 16th and 17th is a Thai religious holiday. Why would there all of a sudden be more or less tourists. If there were no tourists on the 15th, there wont be anymore on the 16th.

The same amout of Thais are still here, whether they choose to go to the beach is up to them.

Not really following the logic, there are no thais at the beach on a thai holiday so therefore tourist numbers are down.

Thais a tourists too if they don't live in Pattaya.

8 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

interesting that you call the bloke a muppet.

have you ever seen the pictures on the fag packets mate?

and you call a non smoker a muppet?  yeh, right.

yes, your rights are yours, but keep them to yourself ok?

we dont want your cancer inducing filth blown in our faces.

disgusting and should be banned worldwide

Calm down mate. Have a cigarette.

33 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Must be either fake or an illegal operation if produced locally in Pattaya, Microbreweries are illegal in thailand. it is very important to protect Chang and Singha pissbeer for the Guvment.

https://bk.asia-city.com/nightlife/news/bangkok-beer-geek-check-list

All of them are brewed in Cambodia, Vietnam and co - truly local.

The place was opened Mr. Virabhongse and company 1997.  Don't know where they brew the beer but it's fresh.  I know because I cultured the yeast.  

i Said for the Last Year That the Beach was Empty as i am down there Every Day When in Pattaya and they are now Just Saying it. Vendors Asking me and other white People Please Sit down And it Will Only Get Worse As White People Are Avoiding the Place and Going Else Where .

i think pattaya has become too big, too many new buildings,

too much people, too much traffic, nowhere to park.

here's hoping tourism will go down to the point some locals go home too.

how many are living in pattaya right now ?

i figure subtract 1/4 and there wont be much traffic jam even during day, and possibly there will be somewhere to park so at least one lane can be freed up for traffic.

one can only hope

Restaurants and bars close for two days and nights because no alcohol means less people. I don’t care if you don’t drink but a lot of adults enjoy adult beverages with their meals and enjoy open pubs and clubs. 

39 minutes ago, ed strong said:

There's nothing wrong with using more than 100% if used as an expression of how far something has dropped or increased.

If you caught 1000 cod one month compared to 900 the previous month then catches are up 10%

if you then caught 2100 cod the following month then catches are up over 105%

oh please god....

Something cannot lose more than 100% of it's value, if it does lose 100% it's ZERO. This value obviously can't go negative....

>100% can only be used for gains.

6 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

As a savvy restaurant guy here's some advice.  Never eat at a restaurant with a view as you will be paying for the view and not the food.  I found my last time in Pattaya the food good at the newest mall - Terminal 21 and no one bothered us while we ate.  

51 minutes ago, Millcx said:

Smokers are entitled to smoke just as much as your decision not to ... Hope I get a chance to blow a smoke ring up your nose ... My rights are my rights not yours muppet

I don’t care if you’re moronic enough to smoke but doesn’t give you the right to inflict the fall out on others. It’s my right to fart but say I sat next to you and blasted it up your nose? At least the unpleasantness wouldn’t last for as long as that dummy you suck .

I must agree. Paid over 4000 baht right a meal for two at a beach side recommended restaurant in Kata. Food was no better than terminal 21. Perhaps I should not complain, I paid £60 for a burger, bowl of soup and a glass of wine ( for one) at Gordon Ramsey’s Heathrow! Will I ever learn!

29 minutes ago, sambum said:

"Speedboat operator Uthit Attasaengsee painted an even greater picture of gloom. No one was taking recreational trips on his boat and business was down 80% year on year he reckoned. 

It's called Karma, Mr Speedboat Scammer....Som Nam Na

52 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Must be either fake or an illegal operation if produced locally in Pattaya, Microbreweries are illegal in thailand. it is very important to protect Chang and Singha pissbeer for the Guvment.

https://bk.asia-city.com/nightlife/news/bangkok-beer-geek-check-list

All of them are brewed in Cambodia, Vietnam and co - truly local.

What utter nonsense. Tawandang has been selling their own beer brewed on the premises for a dozen years or more, to 1500 people a night. Just don't expect them to bother putting prices of their beer or any of their food on their website though. They are too lazy for that. Then there's the Londoner. There was also brewed-on-the premises beer at the old airport in Bangkok until the airport closed. There might be more that I don't know of.

1 hour ago, petemoss said:

My choice. Glad you are happy with the new rule on not smoking on the beach. Smokers aren't happy with it and the beach vendors aren't happy with it.

BTW. I think "far more" is a gross exaggeration. Most non smokers don't share your extreme and irrational view of smoking.

Far more indeed don’t smoke than do and almost all non smokers find secondhand smoke unpleasant. If that’s 'extreme and irrational ' explain why most countries ban smoking in public places and that’s starting to extend even to outdoors,as here. 

Yeah,like beach vendors have a balanced view. They would be happier if they could spread their operation uncontrolled all over the beach.

Speedboat operator Uthit Attasaengsee painted an even greater picture of gloom. No one was taking recreational trips on his boat and business was down 80% year on year he reckoned. 

My heart bleeds. I think I'll go and start a Go Fund Me page for those lovable speedboat operator's who are losing all that custom. Or should I just put it down to Karma !!

7 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Sukhumvit was jock a block ,so some people were driving here yesterday afternoon .gave up trying to get to Makro n pattaya ,so went down railway rd to the one in s pattaya .

"jock a block"   Does that mean the people there were mostly Scots?  Unless of course you mean chock a block  

24 minutes ago, aspenbkk said:

i Said for the Last Year That the Beach was Empty as i am down there Every Day When in Pattaya and they are now Just Saying it. Vendors Asking me and other white People Please Sit down And it Will Only Get Worse As White People Are Avoiding the Place and Going Else Where .

Why the capital letters except where they are supposed to be? "i" don't understand!

5 hours ago, petemoss said:

He didn't mention the knob who banned smoking on the beach then. Used to regularly hire a rake of deckchairs in Jomtien and enjoy a day on the beach with my family. Haven't done it once since the smoking ban. I had the curtesy to go and tell our regular vendor the reason why we wouldn't be visiting her again, lovely lady, really miss her. The only reply I got was one of those sick fake smiles. som nam na.

im a non-smoker, but there are plenty of designated places where smokers can sit and stubb their butts out.  pattaya and jomtien

6 hours ago, petemoss said:

He didn't mention the knob who banned smoking on the beach then. Used to regularly hire a rake of deckchairs in Jomtien and enjoy a day on the beach with my family. Haven't done it once since the smoking ban. I had the curtesy to go and tell our regular vendor the reason why we wouldn't be visiting her again, lovely lady, really miss her. The only reply I got was one of those sick fake smiles. som nam na.

Yeah I know when I go to the beach the one thing i wish there was more of was smokers giving me 2nd hand smoke.....said no one ever!!

The GOOD OLD DAYS at Pattaya and Phuket  of BARS and Brothels are well and truly over. The Bang for Your Buck describes the food Quality and cost, while the prices go up and quality goes down their business  will never survive the real world .

Archived