"They must have gone to the temples instead!" - Pattaya as dead as a dodo in the holidays

webfact

Why would tourists be that interested in temples?one visit for most is enough and why go to Pattaya the police are over the top the expats are leaving for more lenient visa friendly countries the locals treat foreigners as atm the place is full of sad chix pimped out by their isan parents. 

Its a nightmare. 

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, petemoss said:

Your anecdotal evidence is based on a sample of 1 - you. @sambums evidence is based on a sample of 2 - mine and his, which makes our evidence twice as likely to be correct as yours.

Not a silly analogy about trucks, we're in Thailand, faulty exhausts on trucks is a big problem, far less healthy for far more people than someone having a quiet tab on a beach a few yards from you.

BTW. Have you come up with another country yet that has imposed a total ban on smoking on it's beaches? Proving a little difficult for you?

While truck exhaust is one thing it is whataboutery to suggest that as an excuse for doing something else which is antisocial. Maybe because 25,000 are killed on the roads each year the country shouldn’t bother addressing the much fewer murders...is your logic.

Ive given examples (there are more if you’d bother googling) of the increasing incidence of banning of smoking in outdoor public places but clearly you are so addicted to smoking you’re only looking for confirmation bias to support your position than to address the negatives,for others as well as yourself,of smoking.

It use to be that the tourist areas didn't stop the sale of beer and the beers stayed opened but, had to turn off the music, then some 'persons decided best to shut down everything. knowing that Thai's will stock up and stay at home and drink! So if you want people to enjoy the holidays , and to go visit the tourist ares with their friends and families and spend some money, why would you close down the spots people would go to? Plus saying the Baht isn't causing the tourist not to come, then its because you have to much money in your oversea accounts already, Flights around the world are not expensive, Thailand has become too expensive when the exchange rate doesn't give value for money. 

1 hour ago, nchuckle said:

While truck exhaust is one thing it is whataboutery to suggest that as an excuse for doing something else which is antisocial. Maybe because 25,000 are killed on the roads each year the country shouldn’t bother addressing the much fewer murders...is your logic.

Ive given examples (there are more if you’d bother googling) of the increasing incidence of banning of smoking in outdoor public places but clearly you are so addicted to smoking you’re only looking for confirmation bias to support your position than to address the negatives,for others as well as yourself,of smoking.

"whataboutery" Huh?

3 hours ago, Ctkong said:

Thai logic thinking that no bins will magically result in no garbage... thus less work to dispose them. Unfortunately the result is garbage being thrown wantonly ...

Worked great in front of emquartier, they removed the cig and trash bin.

Then they had to hire 2 guys to clean the floor the whole day instead as people just throw them...

There is a lot of post which is about pattaya. many are concerned with the price index, the dirty beaches, but generally about negative things in pattaya.

That's also correct in terms of the headline, means Pattaya beach vendors say business down by 80%. But in any case, the actual reasons should be addressed, which in my opinion do not have to do directly with pattaya.

We want to be concrete here. For who wants to go to a country where he is massively discriminated against as a tourist? Not only tourists, but all foreigners who live here for so long time, are treated like the dirt and treated financially very disadvantaged. Authorities treat foreigners who bring money and knowledge to the country as criminals not only when entering the airport, but also on most immigration offices.

It seems obvious that such a treatment can not be any worse than it is.
I know no country in this world that treated the foreigners so bad, actually it should be said that the Thai hate foreigners.

And only what they like from foreigners is what?...sure only the money.
And what they give is lies, and called all foreigners as aliens. This is so unfriendly, but more really stupid. However, You can not apologize for such so many things they spit on foreigners.

To be fair, it must be said that it is not everywhere so bad but in most regions. Another factor is the basic attitude of these people. Even if it does not seem that way, they are egotistical and think they are the best ones without being aware that they are still alive in the Middle Ages.

Because they think really they are the best at all and do not want to accept the help of people who really know it better. There are so many other reasons that could be listed here but many of the readers know what is meant.

The wrong smile that has a lie as a basis, the corruption and the catastrophic deficient education are not good to accommodate foreigners. But they not only lie to themselves, they also lie to all others and can not endure the truth.

Once we are honest and objective, then such behavior alone is a shame and has nothing to do with the currency or the price index itself.

But the discrimination of almost all foreigners and the more than double of the robberies speak for themselves. I do not mention about the rubbish here and they treat the environments like they have 10 more in the background.

It is therefore not surprising that the foreigners do not accept at all such a treatment. 

No one in this world is willing to be treated like that and to pay for it too. What they think about this.... nothing !! But they ignore all problems and do not like to make it better. There must be a other word then stupid, because this is really not enough.

The only thing they can do is cheat others and treat others like garbage and sucks the money of others and then they wonder why the foraigners get enough of it.

They dig their own grave and do not even notice it. Every normal person would say that they are mentally ill and want to defend it with all means.

This people are bored in the lie and their will fall in the own lie and the own ignorance. There is no pity or apology. It is from the base and the ground nothing to repair anymore. So the best I guess they must feel the pain when they can not get customers and they money like before. Because this is the only thing they would understand.

Who wants to pay western prices for food and drink, sit at a restaurant or cafe. With a view or not, and smell the most vile sewer smell there is. Than thais expect a tip, for there average meal. Silly but we seem to keep going back.

12 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

do you have any other stories apart from that one time with the bottle of wine?

cos i think i've read it half a dozen times in the past week :cheesy:

12 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

There was this one time, at band camp.....

17 hours ago, Mickc said:

I was there last week, there was but a handful of tourists around the beach and restaurants. I ate with my wife opposite the beach with hardly a tourist in sight... now, given the price that we paid for our food the experience was extremely underwhelming... poor service in restaurant (we were the only ones in it) the beach STINKS to high heaven, my thai wife complained about it more than I did, the sea was brown all this whilst being harrassed by street vendors... I live here and I love Thailand, but for what I paid I can go elsewhere, pay less and have a better overall experience. They need to realise, it's not that people aren't coming... people are not coming back.. westerners are not tolerant of certain conditions especially when your $ doesnt go as far.

at 38 baht to pound and getting lower due a large part to brexit it wont go far and they are expecting it to go to 29 baht after 5 years of being out of EU 

18 hours ago, mikebell said:

I tried to dine out last night, notwithstanding the fact I couldn't buy a G & T or have a glass of wine with my meal.  ALL my favourite restaurants were closed.  Looks like many tourists will suffer an unforgettable holiday in Thailand and tell all of their friends.

It's not just the property owning laws which are racist and medieval.

Unforgettable?

18 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Our Thai friends choose to travel abroad instead because the baht is strong. And they've been to Pattaya plenty of times, just a boring experience. Myself, I would never take my family to that dirty scam.

Thousands do. And have a great time. I was there two weeks ago. It was so busy trying to get around in the evening and WS, LKM and Cozy beach is busy....in the quiet season. Im sorry to hear you were scammed. What happened? The 5th floor at Central Festival has a great selection of restaurants some with sea views and the bay looks beautiful at night with all the boats bobbing up and down. Have a great time wherever you are, ya hear now?

22 hours ago, keith101 said:

They should talk to TAT who keep saying tourist numbers are up .

In a simple minded world the indication of progress is only getting the numbers up. The reality is you reach saturation at some point, usually too late for the resources the tourists have come to see. There has also been a change in attitude from the West wrt what they travel to see these days. Less appealing is drugged up tigers, baby elephants being mistreated and crocodiles being dragged around by their tails, this no longer fits their acceptance. 

Pattaya seems to be moving towards more shopping Malls for some unknown reason.

18 hours ago, new2here said:

In my opinion, Thailand can ride their past glory for some time to come... but... I think those days are numbered at best.

In the past, I do think Thailand earned legitimately so, a solid reputation as a good tourist destination.... but... also like many other formerly “good” spots, the impact that success has brought - coupled with the short/medium/long range planning (or lack thereof) and investment in things like infrastructure, safety, convenience has put them somewhat behind the proverbial 8-ball and a victim of its own success.

Meanwhile.. other places have been watching and perhaps positioning themselves as a viable alternative... in this regard, I think Singapore, Malaysia and even Indonesia have done decent jobs at taking some of the Thai-volume away.

Sure... places like Thailand can always zero-in on the next big wave of tourists - be that Chinese now... Indians later or whatever... but I think that for a truly sustainable and long term viable plan, you’ve got to have a mix...

You don’t think you want to position yourself as the destination for only the well-heeled (there isn’t enough of them to go around) nor as the low-cost either (the volume you’d need to be successful usually outstrips the capacity to mange it) so a balance must be struck.

Lastly, I think the next wave of tourist will be much more educated and savvy.

They’ll be reading and watching blogs and vlogs online, doing their own independent research... so I think places like Thailand will have to step up their game in terms of both “brand” management.. but also “engagement” ... along with that they’ll have to do more to insure a better, higher quality experience— as that’s what I suspect the next wave will demand.. and pay for —- and that starts right at the airport with friendly staff/immigration... taxis that are properly registered and provide service as per law, beaches that are clean and use eco-friendly practices, etc...

Can a place like Thailand do this? I do think it’s possible.. I really do.. but I think there must be enough “pain” before the will and motivation comes up to a level that makes doing these things necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Well said. "They paved paradise and now it's a parking lot"...Joanie Michell

10 hours ago, lkv said:

So I guess tourists did not buy this then:

"Located on the shores of the Gulf of Thailand, is a breathtaking coastal city with unparalleled natural beauty. In Pattaya, you can marvel at the stunning architecture that shapes the historic city, take a day trip to a beautiful remote island, or simply admire the vibrant floating market. This is a place where an unforgettable experience is waiting at every turn."

pattaya-QR.jpg

This is the funniest thing I've read in these posts. I'd like to find the place they described. I'm in Pattaya now and have yet to check off any boxes.

4 hours ago, mike1967 said:

Unforgettable?

If you lay out 50,000 baht on a plane ticket from Europe + hotel charges + entertainment and you can't go out for a decent meal and/or a drink for two of your allotted nights, you'll remember this tremendous waste of money for a long time. And then tell all your friends.

Why 5 straws and a bottle of coke of course. Not that you would make much money selling straws.

I've seen a lot of Indians but I have never seen them sharing a bottle of coke before.

Oooookay then, how about 5 Indians and 1 girl. Very similar analogy ????

13 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Yes much of the logic in this thread is missing in action. Apparently some people erroneously think "tourist"  and "farang"  are synonyms since I haven't heard anything about Thais refusing to sit on the beach because of property owning laws or, for that matter, property laws being a major concern for foreign tourists.

Pattaya was built on foreign visitors; GIs, Brits, Russians, Chinese, Japanese and, latterly, Indians.  If/when these holiday visitors decide to settle somewhere later in life, they review their choices.  Negative experiences in a country causes it to be crossed off that list.

Positives like owning one's house without prejudice puts that country on the map of possible retirement locations.

22 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Sukhumvit was jock a block ,so some people were driving here yesterday afternoon .gave up trying to get to Makro n pattaya ,so went down railway rd to the one in s pattaya .

Suvhumvit, and Pattaya Klang, were blocked because they were digging up the roads. Down to one lane.

12 minutes ago, mikebell said:

If you lay out 50,000 baht on a plane ticket from Europe + hotel charges + entertainment and you can't go out for a decent meal and/or a drink for two of your allotted nights, you'll remember this tremendous waste of money for a long time. And then tell all your friends.

Exactly, if you are here for a weeks holiday, 2 days are ruined. What other holiday destination in the world closes down for days at a time in the middle of holiday season.

15 hours ago, brokenbone said:

i think pattaya has become too big, too many new buildings,

too much people, too much traffic, nowhere to park.

here's hoping tourism will go down to the point some locals go home too.

how many are living in pattaya right now ?

i figure subtract 1/4 and there wont be much traffic jam even during day, and possibly there will be somewhere to park so at least one lane can be freed up for traffic.

one can only hope

Just take the unrented motorbikes off street parking and the parking problem is solved.

45 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Exactly, if you are here for a weeks holiday, 2 days are ruined. What other holiday destination in the world closes down for days at a time in the middle of holiday season.

Many.

Xmas comes immediately to mind, then we can throw in Easter.

53 minutes ago, oznomad said:

Many.

Xmas comes immediately to mind, then we can throw in Easter.

In many other countries there is no  ban on alcohol sales for Christmas and Easter so Pubs,bars,discos,hotels and restaurants  can and do continue business as usual..there is also no silly  time of day restrictions on sale of alcohol.

2 minutes ago, johng said:

In many other countries there is no  ban on alcohol sales for Christmas and Easter so Pubs,bars,discos,hotels and restaurants  can and do continue business as usual..there is also no silly  time of day restrictions on sale of alcohol.

Never been to Oz then? Trading hours,ban on Xmas n Easter , think before you BS

4 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Never been to Oz then?

Nope never been....why you say I BS ?  I wrote that many other countries don't have these restrictions...if Australia has them

( which seems strange but you're the expert) that doesn't mean many other countries don't have them..where is the BS ?

1 minute ago, johng said:

Nope never been....why you say I BS ?  I wrote that many other countries don't have these restrictions...if Australia has them

( which seems strange but you're the expert) that doesn't mean many other countries don't have them..where is the BS ?

UK has restricted trading hours on christmas day, US has something like 24 states where sales are banned or restricted on Christmas day

https://reason.com/2018/12/20/here-are-the-24-states-ban-alcohol-sales/

On 7/17/2019 at 10:00 AM, JayBird said:

He needs to adjust his business model to cater to the changing demographic of visitors.

What would the influx of Indians want?

I think they will be happy if 24 can be carried at a time for half price!  They are great hagglers!

1 hour ago, johng said:

Oops sorry,I retract the BS

Archived