UK SIM

sometime

My old Sim from the UK that I use for banking etc OTPs stopped working so now with the new rules I have to get a UK SIM.

Any suggestions on a good pay as you go network in the UK that work fine over here?

I do know that the EE pay as you go requires a 15 pounds a month top up that is out of the question.

Thanks

Giffgaff works fine for me, just need to send an SMS every few months to keep alive. I've two SIMS, wife and I use them on trips to the UK, calls between Giffgaff phones are free.

• Like 1

Where did you read the mad tale of EE needing £15 per month? 

Needless to state, you have it wrong.

In fact, you should choose EE, as with EE it is impossible to accidentally use data abroad, as you need to buy a data package to do so.

So don't buy a data plan and let it Roam without data. You can still send/receive SMS and calls.

All you need to do to keep it alive is to send a text msg every three or six months.

The mistake you have made is that you have been looking at SIM that already have a package attached, as a sales gimmick.

To prevent this, buy one without a bundle already added(£1 at small independent shops) or just text STOP PACK to 150 to remove any bundles attached to the SIM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JamJar said:

Where did you read the mad tale of EE needing £15 per month? 

Needless to state, you have it wrong.

In fact, you should choose EE, as with EE it is impossible to accidentally use data abroad, as you need to buy a data package to do so.

So don't buy a data plan and let it Roam without data. You can still send/receive SMS and calls.

All you need to do to keep it alive is to send a text msg every three or six months.

The mistake you have made is that you have been looking at SIM that already have a package attached, as a sales gimmick.

To prevent this, buy one without a bundle already added(£1 at small independent shops) or just text STOP PACK to 150 to remove any bundles attached to the SIM.

On Amazon reviews https://www.amazon.co.uk/EE-Trio-Card-Prloaded-Credit/product-reviews/B06X9C8PXF/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar

22 minutes ago, SteveK said:

What new rules?

To use UK online banking / Credit card you will need to have a UK mobile number

You already enter your security details to gain access to Online Banking, for example your Personal ID and Security Number, Registration Number or 5-digit PIN.

The new regulation asks us to add an additional check to confirm it’s you. You can do this one of the following two ways:

CE5F21E0522EA8156CAFDF07E97954BB
By having our personal mobile banking app. When you log on to Online Banking you’ll be referred to the mobile app, which will simply ask you to use your fingerprint, face or Security Number as the additional check that it’s you. You can then continue to use Online Banking as you normally do.

CE5F21E0522EA8156CAFDF07E97954BB
By using One Time Passcode (OTP). If you don’t have a smart phone, we’ll send an OTP to your mobile phone as the additional check that it’s you.

Whichever way you choose, we’re only using the mobile banking app or the OTP to help confirm it’s you. You can continue to use your personal Online Banking as normal once the check has been completed.

• Thanks 1

On 7/17/2019 at 7:42 AM, sometime said:

So don't buy that SIM.

Don't you have any friends in the UK who can send you a normal £1 SIM.

If not, try https://www.giffgaff.com/free-sim-cards

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

I went for O2 mobile.

Top up with £10 and make one call, or send one text, per month to keep it live.

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-As-You-Go/Sim-inactivity-policy/m-p/1125907#M8723

A chargeable call or text every 6 months is sufficient to keep the sim active. However, a top up is also needed every 999 days

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I have EE. It does not need a £15 a month auto top up.  Just top up as needed, online.  O2 is the same. 

Depends on whether it has a package pre-applied. Easy enough to remove the package.

7 hours ago, JamJar said:

Depends on whether it has a package pre-applied. Easy enough to remove the package.

I removed the first package offered after it ran out.  Then its just top up as needed. 

On 7/19/2019 at 12:16 AM, Jip99 said:

I went for O2 mobile.

Top up with £10 and make one call, or send one text, per month to keep it live.

Out of curiosity how do you make the £10 top-up? I found myself unable to use my UK credit card for this purpose since this required me to enter a UK postcode which I was unable to do since the billing address was my Thai one. So having no other means of executing top-ups I had no option other than to chuck my O2 SIM card once the balance on it had run out.

5 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Out of curiosity how do you make the £10 top-up? I found myself unable to use my UK credit card for this purpose since this required me to enter a UK postcode which I was unable to do since the billing address was my Thai one. So having no other means of executing top-ups I had no option other than to chuck my O2 SIM card once the balance on it had run out.

This can be pretty hit or miss. I sometimes pay a US account that demands a US Zip Code using a credit card that's not from the US. I just look up a common zip code (such as 90210) and use that. I've never had a problem but that's not to say it will work every time. I use SW1A 1AA as my UK postcode for registering for ITV etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OJAS said:

I have a UK address that I use. I think I topped up online.

4 hours ago, OJAS said:

Erm.....https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-Top-Up-O2-UK/123749429576 (Also works for Giff-Gaff)

and that is only if they required a U.K postcode; https://www.o2.co.uk/topup

5 hours ago, OJAS said:

On the Giffgaff site they say to top up you can use paypal

9 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Asda mobile works well as payg, no regular monthly amount, i use it for OTPs and send a text every 6 months

Tesco same as....a 40 pence SMS every six months keeps it active :thumbsup:

suggest O2 Classic Pay As You Go...... top-up £10 to start and no more ever required (unless you need it) 

other thing is changing the phone number with UK banks..... card reader usually required even now

Edited by directstep
add info

Good morning, forum.

I can confirm that this is the way forward now for UK banking.

My UK bank has told me that they'll soon need a UK phone number from all their customers. It's so that they can text a verification code to customers who use online banking. It's part of their improved security measure—apparently. They said text and email verification is something that all UK banks are now putting in place.

WOT, NO UK MOBILE NUMBER!

The problem is I don’t have a UK mobile number. I’ve been living in Thailand for many years now and haven't needed one, or at least I didn’t, until now. But I do use my UK banking services on a regular basis. One way around this is to ask someone in the UK if I could use their mobile number. They could then text or email the verification code whenever they get it. It’s a bit of an ask, though, so I’d sooner not if there's another way.

I have read the posts about getting a UK SIM, but how does that work? Do you just put it into any Thai mobile phone and Bobs your uncle?

VOIP NUMBERS?

I’ve looked at Skype VIOP, but they only provide landline numbers, not mobile, so that won’t work. The bank is very specific that it must be a UK mobile number. I think they start with (07) but could be wrong. Anyway, if anyone has any ideal or potential workaround, please let me know. I'm borderline backward, so plain English, please ????

Stubby

Edited by Stubby

Good morning, forum.

I can confirm that this is the way forward now for UK banking.

My UK bank has told me that they'll soon need a UK phone number from all their customers. It's so that they can text a verification code to customers who use online banking. It's part of their improved security measure—apparently. They said text and email verification is something that all UK banks are now putting in place.

WOT, NO UK MOBILE NUMBER!

The problem is I don’t have a UK mobile number. I’ve been living in Thailand for many years now and haven't needed one, or at least I didn’t, until now. But I do use my UK banking services on a regular basis. One way around this is to ask someone in the UK if I could use their mobile number. They could then text or email the verification code whenever they get it. It’s a bit of an ask, though, so I’d sooner not if there's another way.

I have read the posts about getting a UK SIM, but how does that work? Do you just put it into any Thai mobile phone and Bobs your uncle?

VOIP NUMBERS?

I’ve looked at Skype VIOP, but they only provide landline numbers, not mobile, so that won’t work. The bank is very specific that it must be a UK mobile number. I think they start with (07) but could be wrong. Anyway, if anyone has any ideal or potential workaround, please let me know. I'm borderline backward, so plain English, please [emoji6]

Stubby
Which UK bank? i have 3 banks and they use 3 different security measures.

One thing about a UK sim is it may need to be activated in the UK

8 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Which UK bank? i have 3 banks and they use 3 different security measures.

One thing about a UK sim is it may need to be activated in the UK

All UK banks are are moving to two-factor authentication to support the regulatory changes taking place called Strong Customer Authentication (SCA). That means using auto-generated codes with short expiry times to protect against of the rise in scams and scammers. I will need it even for logging in to the account, and not only for transactions.

Folks, please let me know if you have any suggestions on the UK SIM card issue ????