BANGKOK 17 August 2019 17:31

My old Sim from the UK that I use for banking etc OTPs stopped working so now with the new rules I have to get a UK SIM.

Any suggestions on a good pay as you go network in the UK that work fine over here?

I do know that the EE pay as you go requires a 15 pounds a month top up that is out of the question.

Thanks

Giffgaff works fine for me, just need to send an SMS every few months to keep alive. I've two SIMS, wife and I use them on trips to the UK, calls between Giffgaff phones are free.

• Like 1

Where did you read the mad tale of EE needing £15 per month? 

Needless to state, you have it wrong.

In fact, you should choose EE, as with EE it is impossible to accidentally use data abroad, as you need to buy a data package to do so.

So don't buy a data plan and let it Roam without data. You can still send/receive SMS and calls.

All you need to do to keep it alive is to send a text msg every three or six months.

The mistake you have made is that you have been looking at SIM that already have a package attached, as a sales gimmick.

To prevent this, buy one without a bundle already added(£1 at small independent shops) or just text STOP PACK to 150 to remove any bundles attached to the SIM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JamJar said:

Where did you read the mad tale of EE needing £15 per month? 

Needless to state, you have it wrong.

In fact, you should choose EE, as with EE it is impossible to accidentally use data abroad, as you need to buy a data package to do so.

So don't buy a data plan and let it Roam without data. You can still send/receive SMS and calls.

All you need to do to keep it alive is to send a text msg every three or six months.

The mistake you have made is that you have been looking at SIM that already have a package attached, as a sales gimmick.

To prevent this, buy one without a bundle already added(£1 at small independent shops) or just text STOP PACK to 150 to remove any bundles attached to the SIM.

On Amazon reviews https://www.amazon.co.uk/EE-Trio-Card-Prloaded-Credit/product-reviews/B06X9C8PXF/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar

22 minutes ago, SteveK said:

What new rules?

To use UK online banking / Credit card you will need to have a UK mobile number

You already enter your security details to gain access to Online Banking, for example your Personal ID and Security Number, Registration Number or 5-digit PIN.

The new regulation asks us to add an additional check to confirm it’s you. You can do this one of the following two ways:

CE5F21E0522EA8156CAFDF07E97954BB
By having our personal mobile banking app. When you log on to Online Banking you’ll be referred to the mobile app, which will simply ask you to use your fingerprint, face or Security Number as the additional check that it’s you. You can then continue to use Online Banking as you normally do.

CE5F21E0522EA8156CAFDF07E97954BB
By using One Time Passcode (OTP). If you don’t have a smart phone, we’ll send an OTP to your mobile phone as the additional check that it’s you.

Whichever way you choose, we’re only using the mobile banking app or the OTP to help confirm it’s you. You can continue to use your personal Online Banking as normal once the check has been completed.

• Thanks 1

On 7/17/2019 at 7:42 AM, sometime said:

So don't buy that SIM.

Don't you have any friends in the UK who can send you a normal £1 SIM.

If not, try https://www.giffgaff.com/free-sim-cards

• Like 1

I went for O2 mobile.

Top up with £10 and make one call, or send one text, per month to keep it live.

4 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

I went for O2 mobile.

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-As-You-Go/Sim-inactivity-policy/m-p/1125907#M8723

A chargeable call or text every 6 months is sufficient to keep the sim active. However, a top up is also needed every 999 days

• Like 1

When you activate just opt to pay as you go, you don't need to go for a package (goodybag).

• Thanks 1

I have EE. It does not need a £15 a month auto top up.  Just top up as needed, online.  O2 is the same. 

3 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I have EE. It does not need a £15 a month auto top up.  Just top up as needed, online.  O2 is the same. 

Depends on whether it has a package pre-applied. Easy enough to remove the package.

7 hours ago, JamJar said:

Depends on whether it has a package pre-applied. Easy enough to remove the package.

I removed the first package offered after it ran out.  Then its just top up as needed. 

On 7/19/2019 at 12:16 AM, Jip99 said:

I went for O2 mobile.

Out of curiosity how do you make the £10 top-up? I found myself unable to use my UK credit card for this purpose since this required me to enter a UK postcode which I was unable to do since the billing address was my Thai one. So having no other means of executing top-ups I had no option other than to chuck my O2 SIM card once the balance on it had run out.