UK SIM

sometime

All UK banks are are moving to two-factor authentication to support the regulatory changes taking place called Strong Customer Authentication (SCA). That means using auto-generated codes with short expiry times to protect against of the rise in scams and scammers. I will need it even for logging in to the account, and not only for transactions.

Folks, please let me know if you have any suggestions on the UK SIM card issue [emoji6] 
sounds like am OTP is sufficent. A card reader isn't essential for that

My Barclays Online Banking needs the usual account name and password plus a one-time code that is generated either by a 'Pin Sentry' card reader or by a virtual 'Pin Sentry' that is part of the Barclays mobile app, which works just fine with a Thai SIM at the moment. 

I've not had any notification from Barclays that anything is about to change but I guess that it might do.  Seems crazy to me that I would maybe need a UK SIM in order to use International Online Banking from Thailand. I appreciate the need for security but it all gets quite silly when the system is so secure that it's almost impossible to use.

The current Barclays system works OK but you do need to be quite a fast typist as the time allowed to input the code generated by the 'Pin Sentry' is rather short.  Sometimes takes me several attempts!

1 hour ago, doctormann said:

My Barclays Online Banking needs the usual account name and password plus a one-time code that is generated either by a 'Pin Sentry' card reader or by a virtual 'Pin Sentry' that is part of the Barclays mobile app, which works just fine with a Thai SIM at the moment. 

I've not had any notification from Barclays that anything is about to change but I guess that it might do.  Seems crazy to me that I would maybe need a UK SIM in order to use International Online Banking from Thailand. I appreciate the need for security but it all gets quite silly when the system is so secure that it's almost impossible to use.

The current Barclays system works OK but you do need to be quite a fast typist as the time allowed to input the code generated by the 'Pin Sentry' is rather short.  Sometimes takes me several attempts!

From Barclaycard email, could be just the credit card and not the banking, but my Santander bank only wants a UK number

Check your mobile number’s up to date
It’s important that we have your correct UK phone number, so you can confirm it’s you when you’re shopping online. You can check your number through Barclaycard online servicing, the Barclaycard app or by calling 0800 151 0900.
Edited by sometime

4 minutes ago, sometime said:

From Barclays email

Check your mobile number’s up to date
It’s important that we have your correct UK phone number, so you can confirm it’s you when you’re shopping online. You can check your number through Barclaycard online servicing, the Barclaycard app or by calling 0800 151 0900.

I don't have a UK number, only a Thailand one, but everything is still working at the moment.

I don't do online shopping apart from very occasional use of my debit card.

Barclaycard terminated my CC account as I no longer have a UK address.

On 7/17/2019 at 2:20 PM, sometime said:

To use UK online banking / Credit card you will need to have a UK mobile number

You already enter your security details to gain access to Online Banking, for example your Personal ID and Security Number, Registration Number or 5-digit PIN.

The new regulation asks us to add an additional check to confirm it’s you. You can do this one of the following two ways:

CE5F21E0522EA8156CAFDF07E97954BB
By having our personal mobile banking app. When you log on to Online Banking you’ll be referred to the mobile app, which will simply ask you to use your fingerprint, face or Security Number as the additional check that it’s you. You can then continue to use Online Banking as you normally do.

By using One Time Passcode (OTP). If you don’t have a smart phone, we’ll send an OTP to your mobile phone as the additional check that it’s you.

Whichever way you choose, we’re only using the mobile banking app or the OTP to help confirm it’s you. You can continue to use your personal Online Banking as normal once the check has been completed.

I have a UK account with NatWest and a Thai phone. This month I paid my insurance from my UK account and all worked OK. OTP sent to my Thai phone as normal.

One difference maybe - I do not use any phone apps. Just the on-line banking from my laptop.

Just a few minutes ago I logged onto my Barclays account in the way that I usually do - account/password/OTP from Pin Sentry phone app.  Everything normal.

I checked my notifications and there was one that was saying something about additional checks when doing online shopping.  This is about Barclays needing to send a OTP to confirm identity and the advice is to make sure that your contact details are up to date.  Nothing specific to needing a UK phone number though.

I don't generally do online shopping from my Barclays account - just use it as a portal for getting pensions paid into my Thai account.  Hopefully, the existing Pin Sentry - real or virtual - will continue to work.  I guess that I'll find out soon enough.

I’m still a tad confused—it’s an age thing—so perhaps someone a bit more savvy can help?

The question is this:

Can I get a UK sim card, put it into any Thai mobile, and receive text messages to it, from the UK? I only need it for the changes to online banking.

Thank you in advance,
|

Stubby

1 minute ago, Stubby said:

I’m still a tad confused—it’s an age thing—so perhaps someone a bit more savvy can help?

The question is this:

Can I get a UK sim card, put it into any Thai mobile, and receive text messages to it, from the UK? I only need it for the changes to online banking.

Thank you in advance,
|

Stubby

YES, if the phone is unlocked it can take any sim.

My daughter has a Thai phone, which she uses with a UK sim when in the UK and changes over when she comes here to visit. She banks with her mobile.  

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1

Just now, Pilotman said:

YES 

Thank you, pilot man.

Can I order a SIM online, or does someone from the UK have to post one to me. An earlier poster said something about they have to be activated in the UK to work.

I bank with Lloyds and they have been warning me for sometime now that they are required to increase the security for online purchases effective from sometime in September 2019, all UK registered banks have to do the same due to the new regulations that will come in to force.

I downloaded their mobile app, along with my UK credit card mobile app (MBNA which is now part of Lloyds) whilst here in Thailand, but could not get the apps registered due to location and lack of a UK mobile number.

Luckily I had a UK trip planned, so whilst in the UK I had a giffgaff SIM delivered, activated this online with a one time only Goodybag, as I needed a UK number for 4G data anyway.

I then had to register this UK number with both Lloyds and MBNA via online banking.

Once the mobile number was registered, I then managed to get both of the mobile apps registered, this takes an automated call from both to the UK number, as you have to key in the PIN that appears on the mobile app during the phone call.

Once this is completed, then the apps work regardless of the UK SIM, so on WiFi or through the Thai number 4G network whilst in Thailand.

One thing to note, you must put credit on to the giffgaff SIM for it to roam in Thailand, there is no need to have a Goodybag, in fact if you are not in the UK, that is a waste of money.

As others have mentioned, you do need to send a SMS from the giffgaff SIM once every 6 months to keep it alive, I do believe they will send an email to remind you of this if it is getting close.

I would imagine that all of this can be done whilst in Thailand by having the giffgaff SIM delivered to here, activating it online (which will let you know the number) and placing credit on to it, you would have to make sure there is enough credit on it to be able to receive the call from your bank for activating the mobile apps if they work as per Lloyds.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Thank you, pilot man.

Can I order a SIM online, or does someone from the UK have to post one to me. An earlier poster said something about they have to be activated in the UK to work.

I don't think you can buy online,  I imagine that you need someone to buy it for you in the UK and send it over. Not sure if even that will work, as in these days of terrorism, the authorities in all countries are very sensitive about sims being delivered around the world, so it may get picked up by the postal service. You can try. but best to get someone to bring one over for you.  The previous poster may also be right in the activation. 

Edited by Pilotman

4 minutes ago, Mattd said:

I bank with Lloyds and they have been warning me for sometime now that they are required to increase the security for online purchases effective from sometime in September 2019, all UK registered banks have to do the same due to the new regulations that will come in to force.

I downloaded their mobile app, along with my UK credit card mobile app (MBNA which is now part of Lloyds) whilst here in Thailand, but could not get the apps registered due to location and lack of a UK mobile number.

Luckily I had a UK trip planned, so whilst in the UK I had a giffgaff SIM delivered, activated this online with a one time only Goodybag, as I needed a UK number for 4G data anyway.

I then had to register this UK number with both Lloyds and MBNA via online banking.

Once the mobile number was registered, I then managed to get both of the mobile apps registered, this takes an automated call from both to the UK number, as you have to key in the PIN that appears on the mobile app during the phone call.

Once this is completed, then the apps work regardless of the UK SIM, so on WiFi or through the Thai number 4G network whilst in Thailand.

One thing to note, you must put credit on to the giffgaff SIM for it to roam in Thailand, there is no need to have a Goodybag, in fact if you are not in the UK, that is a waste of money.

As others have mentioned, you do need to send a SMS from the giffgaff SIM once every 6 months to keep it alive, I do believe they will send an email to remind you of this if it is getting close.

I would imagine that all of this can be done whilst in Thailand by having the giffgaff SIM delivered to here, activating it online (which will let you know the number) and placing credit on to it, you would have to make sure there is enough credit on it to be able to receive the call from your bank for activating the mobile apps if they work as per Lloyds.

Thanks for that, Mattd, I'll check the giffgaff SIM option ????

Check out" 1p mobile " for uk sim, you only have to top up £10 every 90 days to keep it active , i like you need it for most online banking and transactions.By the way they email you to remind you when to top up.I used a relatives address in the u.k for delivery and got posted out here.

Sent from my ASUS_Z012DB using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

I don't think you can buy online,  I imagine that you need someone to buy it for you in the UK and send it over. Not sure if even that will work, as in these days of terrorism, the authorities in all countries are very sensitive about sims being delivered around the world, so it may get picked up by the postal service. You can try. but best to get someone to bring one over for you.  

Thanks Pilotman. I might try the giffgaff SIM as mentioned in the previous post. It would be great to hear from someone who's already done that. If not, I might be the first to report back.

1 minute ago, neilltaylor19 said:

Check out" 1p mobile " for uk sim, you only have to top up £10 every 90 days to keep it active , i like you need it for most online banking and transactions.By the way they email you to remind you when to top up.I used a relatives address in the u.k for delivery and got posted out here.

Sent from my ASUS_Z012DB using Tapatalk

Thanks, Neiltaylor19, that could be an option. 

23 hours ago, Stubby said:

I have read the posts about getting a UK SIM, but how does that work? Do you just put it into any Thai mobile phone and Bobs your uncle?

Yep!

I keep two SIMS alive both GiffGaff, they're in a cheap 2 SIM mobile, one usually connects to DTAC the other to TRUE. I just send an SMS once every 4 months to keep them going. Receive sms from banks no problem.

Ordered online, delivered to my UK address whilst on a trip to the UK, registered online and top-up using PayPal.

Just ordered a GiffGaff SIM online, just in case I need one.

We'll see if I can activate it and use it for Barclays Online Banking once it arrives - if it doesn't disappear into the black hole of the Thailand postal system!

1 hour ago, doctormann said:

We'll see if I can activate it and use it for Barclays Online Banking once it arrives - if it doesn't disappear into the black hole of the Thailand postal system!

So, Doctormann, you're attempting to do what Stocky above did, with the only difference being the delivery address. It should be okay - in theory - if registration is online. Good luck with the post. I've had 3 items that never reached me in the last 7 years, 2 from eBay, and 1 from Amazon. Maybe there's a tracking option. Please keep us informed of the outcome.

Stubby

Edited by Stubby
  • Thanks 1

On 7/26/2019 at 10:37 AM, doctormann said:

This is what the Giffgaff SIM came in to the UK address I use.

Very inviting envelope in the Thai post.

IMG_2642.jpg

11 hours ago, sometime said:

Just recieved an email this arrived at my UK address, will it never end

IMG_2685.jpg

I received an email from GiffGaff to say that my SIM is on its way to Thailand.  If it comes in a fancy envelope like yours I think that it will be irresistible to the postie so I'll probably never get it!

I have one of those Pin Sentry readers and also have the virtual version on the Barclays phone app.  I really don't understand just how any additional security measures will work and neither do I understand the need to have a UK SIM in my phone.  The system, as it works now, already involves several security steps, including passing OTPs back and forth between the phone and the PC online banking application.

I don't need data services turned on, on the phone, for this to work, although I did need this when setting up the phone app in the first place.

I'm also puzzled as to how exactly the GiffGaff SIM is supposed to work here in Thailand.  Apparently, I can register it and activate it from here but, once in my phone, how will the Thailand telecomms system recognise it?  I suspect that the phone will just say 'no service'.  We shall see - maybe I'm missing something obvious!

4 hours ago, doctormann said:

I'm also puzzled as to how exactly the GiffGaff SIM is supposed to work here in Thailand.  Apparently, I can register it and activate it from here but, once in my phone, how will the Thailand telecomms system recognise it?  I suspect that the phone will just say 'no service'.  We shall see - maybe I'm missing something obvious!

I would think that a large part of the 'registering on network' process when you turn a mobile phone on involves connecting to the SIM provider's database and confirming the validity of the SIM and that it has funds. So provided you've already registered the SIM online, and topped it up, it'll work.

Edited by Stocky
  • Thanks 1

I would think that a large part of the 'registering on network' process when you turn a mobile phone on involves connecting to the SIM provider's database and confirming the validity of the SIM and that it has funds. So provided you've already registered the SIM online, and topped it up, it'll work.

It will roam and connect to a local network. My Asda UK sim connects to Dtac. This is most likely the reason you need to activate it in the UK

On 7/17/2019 at 8:20 AM, sometime said:

To use UK online banking / Credit card you will need to have a UK mobile number

You already enter your security details to gain access to Online Banking, for example your Personal ID and Security Number, Registration Number or 5-digit PIN.

The new regulation asks us to add an additional check to confirm it’s you. You can do this one of the following two ways:

By having our personal mobile banking app. When you log on to Online Banking you’ll be referred to the mobile app, which will simply ask you to use your fingerprint, face or Security Number as the additional check that it’s you. You can then continue to use Online Banking as you normally do.

By using One Time Passcode (OTP). If you don’t have a smart phone, we’ll send an OTP to your mobile phone as the additional check that it’s you.

Whichever way you choose, we’re only using the mobile banking app or the OTP to help confirm it’s you. You can continue to use your personal Online Banking as normal once the check has been completed.

I use my Thai phone number and am not aware of any rule change with my UK banks. When did this new stipulation start.

50 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

I use my Thai phone number and am not aware of any rule change with my UK banks. When did this new stipulation start.

It's being rolled out this year, I believe.

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
7 hours ago, Stocky said:

It will roam and connect to a local network. My Asda UK sim connects to Dtac. This is most likely the reason you need to activate it in the UK

I gather you can register a sim online, so why would it matter where you were? Or do you mean it's better to put the new sim in a UK phone, and use that? I'm confused.

I gather you can register a sim online, so why would it matter where you were? Or do you mean it's better to put the new sim in a UK phone, and use that? I'm confused.

I had a problem with a new UK sim a couple of years ago and I couldn't activate it whilst in Thailand. This may have changed, try it and find out