UK SIM

sometime

51 minutes ago, Stubby said:

It's being rolled out this year, I believe.

Its all to do with the EU Garbage

The Payment Services Directive 2 (or PSD2 for short) is a piece of European Union (EU) legislation that aims to make banking safer, more transparent and innovative. The legislation includes Strong Customer Authentication (SCA), which requires you to confirm it's you when you pay for things or service your account online. PINsentry is one of the options to help verify your identity, giving you greater security and peace of min

Edited by sometime
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, sometime said:

Its all to do with the EU Garbage

The Payment Services Directive 2 (or PSD2 for short) is a piece of European Union (EU) legislation that aims to make banking safer, more transparent and innovative. The legislation includes Strong Customer Authentication (SCA), which requires you to confirm it's you when you pay for things or service your account online. PINsentry is one of the options to help verify your identity, giving you greater security and peace of min

Well, Barclays have been using Pin Sentry for a long time already so what is now going to change?

I must admit that I am thoroughly confused about this.  Do I need a UK SIM in my phone or not? 

So far as I can tell, the only time that the virtual Pin Sentry needed a SIM was to set it up in the first place.  Barclays sent me an SMS - which needed data services turned on in order to receive - in order to register my phone with their phone app.  Now it just works with wifi - or seems to.

The card reader Pin Sentry, which I also have, works without a phone - you stick your debit card in the slot, give it your access PIN and it produces a OTP that you enter into the online app on your PC so what, if anything, has this to do with a UK SIM card?

Maybe all will become clear.  I certainly hope so as I wouldn't want online banking to stop working.  I need to do my monthly transfers to keep Immigration happy!

15 minutes ago, doctormann said:

Well, Barclays have been using Pin Sentry for a long time already so what is now going to change?

I must admit that I am thoroughly confused about this.  Do I need a UK SIM in my phone or not? 

So far as I can tell, the only time that the virtual Pin Sentry needed a SIM was to set it up in the first place.  Barclays sent me an SMS - which needed data services turned on in order to receive - in order to register my phone with their phone app.  Now it just works with wifi - or seems to.

The card reader Pin Sentry, which I also have, works without a phone - you stick your debit card in the slot, give it your access PIN and it produces a OTP that you enter into the online app on your PC so what, if anything, has this to do with a UK SIM card?

Maybe all will become clear.  I certainly hope so as I wouldn't want online banking to stop working.  I need to do my monthly transfers to keep Immigration happy!

You need a UK sim to receive the OTP.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

I had a problem with a new UK sim a couple of years ago and I couldn't activate it whilst in Thailand. This may have changed, try it and find out

You don't activate the SIM in the phone, you go on the website enter and activate it online. Once the SIM is registered and active you put in a phone and connect. It'll connect anywhere there's a network with an agreement with Giffgaff's carrier which is O2.

That's my understanding.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

You need a UK sim to receive the OTP.

No idea. Nationwide have had a nag screen when accessing accounts online reminding you to update your details and ensure you have a current mobile number. I gave it my UK number, didn't think to try using my Thai number. probably best to keep complications down to a minimum.

3 minutes ago, Stocky said:

No idea. Nationwide have had a nag screen when accessing accounts online reminding you to update your details and ensure you have a current mobile number. I gave it my UK number, didn't think to try using my Thai number. probably best to keep complications down to a minimum.

I was told that OTPs could not be sent to overseas numbers.

With Nationwide it is arguably better not to try and advise a foreign number.

On 7/26/2019 at 3:41 AM, neilltaylor19 said:

Check out" 1p mobile " for uk sim, you only have to top up £10 every 90 days to keep it active , i like you need it for most online banking and transactions.By the way they email you to remind you when to top up.I used a relatives address in the u.k for delivery and got posted out here.

Sent from my ASUS_Z012DB using Tapatalk

You dont have to top every 90 days if you buy a £1 giffgaff sim just make a charageable call or receive one....£10 initial top would last years

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 2:20 PM, sometime said:

To use UK online banking / Credit card you will need to have a UK mobile number

You already enter your security details to gain access to Online Banking, for example your Personal ID and Security Number, Registration Number or 5-digit PIN.

The new regulation asks us to add an additional check to confirm it’s you. You can do this one of the following two ways:

CE5F21E0522EA8156CAFDF07E97954BB
By having our personal mobile banking app. When you log on to Online Banking you’ll be referred to the mobile app, which will simply ask you to use your fingerprint, face or Security Number as the additional check that it’s you. You can then continue to use Online Banking as you normally do.

CE5F21E0522EA8156CAFDF07E97954BB
By using One Time Passcode (OTP). If you don’t have a smart phone, we’ll send an OTP to your mobile phone as the additional check that it’s you.

Whichever way you choose, we’re only using the mobile banking app or the OTP to help confirm it’s you. You can continue to use your personal Online Banking as normal once the check has been completed.

Please folks, don't get too panicky about this requirement for a UK SIM. Read the article above which makes it clear that you can use either an OTP or a mobile app. (for which an OTP is not required)

I already have the Nationwide mobile app and although the facility isn't available yet, I'm assured it will be coming soon.

I'm sure that all banks are aware that they have overseas customers for whom a UK mobile phone account is not a practical option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stubuzz said:

How long did it take for your giffgaff sim to arrive? I ordered mine 10 days ago and it still isn't here!

I had mine delivered to a UK address then posted over to Thailand and that took 2 weeks, some other mail came it with was in the post one month.

2 hours ago, stubuzz said:

How long did it take for your giffgaff sim to arrive? I ordered mine 10 days ago and it still isn't here!

I ordered a GiffGaff SIM on 26 July and there is, as yet, no sign of it arriving.  Probably lost in the Thailand postal system.  Actually, I haven't received any post whatsoever for three weeks so maybe the system is broken!  I contacted Thailand Post by email and actually got a reply but it wasn't much use.  They wanted a tracking number which, of course, I don't have. 

Interestingly, I received an email from GiffGaff today to remind me to activate the SIM that I don't have!  I replied to their email to say that I don't yet have the SIM and to ask if maybe they could send another by registered mail.  It appears though that their mail in-box is not monitored and their 'help' page isn't a lot of help either!

36 minutes ago, stubuzz said:

When applying for the sim, it suggests 5-7 days to reach Thailand. I might order another.

That sounds a bit optimistic - even EMS takes about a week and normal registered post more like two weeks,  Just my experience - maybe depends where you live.

I'm thinking of ordering another SIM as well but are you allowed two?  I guess that we'll find out.

5 minutes ago, doctormann said:

That sounds a bit optimistic - even EMS takes about a week and normal registered post more like two weeks,  Just my experience - maybe depends where you live.

I'm thinking of ordering another SIM as well but are you allowed two?  I guess that we'll find out.

I have had 4 at one time with gift gaff no issues.

Just remember to send yourself an SMS every few months if you don't use it. They will email you after 6 months of no activity before they close it. To keep it alive you need to make a call or send an SMS.

• Thanks 1

If you're struggling to receive a Giffgaff Sim I would suggest that you get a local to buy a £1 sim in Premier or Tesco and post it themselves to Thailand....GG are notoriously shight at sending out sims to wherever despite being the number 1 network now

On 7/26/2019 at 9:42 AM, Stubby said:

Thanks Pilotman. I might try the giffgaff SIM as mentioned in the previous post. It would be great to hear from someone who's already done that. If not, I might be the first to report back.

I've been using GiffGaff for several years as my UK mobile number in Thailand. It works well., never had any problems.

When I registered with an FX finance company several years ago they needed a UK mobile AND landline number then sent part of the registration code to the landline, part to the mobile with the final part via email. I already had a UK landline number on SKYPE and got a GiffGaff sim for the mobile.I always receive OTP's etc here in Thailand.

I bank with Lloyds and have registered my UK landline, mobile plus my Thai mobile numbers with them. When they need OTP verification they give you a four digit number on the screen along with an option of which if the three phone numbers I want them to use ( using the app or PC) then they phone you to input that number on the phone. I've used all three at various times in the past to confirm they all work properly here.

Recently, when I've logged onto Lloyds (I always use the app with fingerprint recognition) the opening page has been the option to check my phone details ready for the increased security 'coming soon' so it's not up and running yet.

For those wanting to get a GiffGaff sim I can confirm you can register, activate and top up the sim via their website on line from Thailand. But it appears they don't like sending sim cards directly to Thailand. In the last three/four years I've tried ordering about five for friends here, but none have arrived. Each time I've had to order again and send them to my daughter in the UK then get her to post them to me. To keep the sim active, as others have said, you must SEND at least one text or make a phone call at least once every six months (receiving texts/calls doesn't count).

All in all, I find it works very well.

And of course, If you need to go back to the UK at any time it's automatically usable from the moment you land. I paid for a 'goody bag' on line just before I leftand was able to make 'I've arrived' calls while taxiing on the plane.

Edited by sumrit
  • Like 1

I'm still waiting for my GiffGaff SIM - ordered three weeks ago.

I did, subsequently, receive an email from GiffGaff to say that the SIM was on its way.

More recently, I received another email reminding me to activate the SIM that I hadn't received!

It may have just disappeared into the Thai postal system as that has been extremely unreliable lately.

I'll probably order another one.

15 minutes ago, doctormann said:

I'm still waiting for my GiffGaff SIM - ordered three weeks ago.

I did, subsequently, receive an email from GiffGaff to say that the SIM was on its way.

More recently, I received another email reminding me to activate the SIM that I hadn't received!

It may have just disappeared into the Thai postal system as that has been extremely unreliable lately.

I'll probably order another one.

I also received emails confirming the sims were 'on their way', Five emails and five sims failed to arrive. 

Once you have a sim it works very well and costs virtually nothing to keep active permanently.

Save yourself some time and just get GiffGaff to send the sim to somebody in the UK and get them to post it to Thailand, you can do everything else on line.

In fifteen years I've never lost any post using the Thai postal system, but never received the post from GiffGaff. For some reason they just won't post to Thailand. Although, once you have a sim, as soon as you turn your phone on, you get a text from GiffGaff 'welcoming you to Thailand and informing you of their charges for making/receiving calls, text and data' so they don't have a problem with their sim being used here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sumrit said:

I also received emails confirming the sims were 'on their way', Five emails and five sims failed to arrive. 

Once you have a sim it works very well and costs virtually nothing to keep active permanently.

Save yourself some time and just get GiffGaff to send the sim to somebody in the UK and get them to post it to Thailand, you can do everything else on line.

In fifteen years I've never lost any post using the Thai postal system, but never received the post from GiffGaff. For some reason they just won't post to Thailand. Although, once you have a sim, as soon as you turn your phone on, you get a text from GiffGaff 'welcoming you to Thailand and informing you of their charges for making/receiving calls, text and data' so they don't have a problem with their sim being used here.

Update:  My GiffGaff SIM has just this minute arrived, along with all my other missing mail that the postie has been hanging on to for the last month!

Anyway, it seems as though GiffGaff do indeed send their SIMS out to Thailand.  I shall now try to activate it.

7 hours ago, doctormann said:

GiffGaff SIM successfully activated.  Roams with DTAC.

yes mine does in pattaya.....sms are free to receive as always even on roaming (not to send obviously think its 30p)

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...