BANGKOK 17 August 2019 18:49

If you're struggling to receive a Giffgaff Sim I would suggest that you get a local to buy a £1 sim in Premier or Tesco and post it themselves to Thailand....GG are notoriously shight at sending out sims to wherever despite being the number 1 network now

On 7/26/2019 at 9:42 AM, Stubby said:

Thanks Pilotman. I might try the giffgaff SIM as mentioned in the previous post. It would be great to hear from someone who's already done that. If not, I might be the first to report back.

I've been using GiffGaff for several years as my UK mobile number in Thailand. It works well., never had any problems.

When I registered with an FX finance company several years ago they needed a UK mobile AND landline number then sent part of the registration code to the landline, part to the mobile with the final part via email. I already had a UK landline number on SKYPE and got a GiffGaff sim for the mobile.I always receive OTP's etc here in Thailand.

I bank with Lloyds and have registered my UK landline, mobile plus my Thai mobile numbers with them. When they need OTP verification they give you a four digit number on the screen along with an option of which if the three phone numbers I want them to use ( using the app or PC) then they phone you to input that number on the phone. I've used all three at various times in the past to confirm they all work properly here.

Recently, when I've logged onto Lloyds (I always use the app with fingerprint recognition) the opening page has been the option to check my phone details ready for the increased security 'coming soon' so it's not up and running yet.

For those wanting to get a GiffGaff sim I can confirm you can register, activate and top up the sim via their website on line from Thailand. But it appears they don't like sending sim cards directly to Thailand. In the last three/four years I've tried ordering about five for friends here, but none have arrived. Each time I've had to order again and send them to my daughter in the UK then get her to post them to me. To keep the sim active, as others have said, you must SEND at least one text or make a phone call at least once every six months (receiving texts/calls doesn't count).

All in all, I find it works very well.

And of course, If you need to go back to the UK at any time it's automatically usable from the moment you land. I paid for a 'goody bag' on line just before I leftand was able to make 'I've arrived' calls while taxiing on the plane.

Edited by sumrit
  • Like 1

I'm still waiting for my GiffGaff SIM - ordered three weeks ago.

I did, subsequently, receive an email from GiffGaff to say that the SIM was on its way.

More recently, I received another email reminding me to activate the SIM that I hadn't received!

It may have just disappeared into the Thai postal system as that has been extremely unreliable lately.

I'll probably order another one.

15 minutes ago, doctormann said:

I'm still waiting for my GiffGaff SIM - ordered three weeks ago.

I did, subsequently, receive an email from GiffGaff to say that the SIM was on its way.

More recently, I received another email reminding me to activate the SIM that I hadn't received!

It may have just disappeared into the Thai postal system as that has been extremely unreliable lately.

I'll probably order another one.

I also received emails confirming the sims were 'on their way', Five emails and five sims failed to arrive. 

Once you have a sim it works very well and costs virtually nothing to keep active permanently.

Save yourself some time and just get GiffGaff to send the sim to somebody in the UK and get them to post it to Thailand, you can do everything else on line.

In fifteen years I've never lost any post using the Thai postal system, but never received the post from GiffGaff. For some reason they just won't post to Thailand. Although, once you have a sim, as soon as you turn your phone on, you get a text from GiffGaff 'welcoming you to Thailand and informing you of their charges for making/receiving calls, text and data' so they don't have a problem with their sim being used here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sumrit said:

I also received emails confirming the sims were 'on their way', Five emails and five sims failed to arrive. 

Once you have a sim it works very well and costs virtually nothing to keep active permanently.

Save yourself some time and just get GiffGaff to send the sim to somebody in the UK and get them to post it to Thailand, you can do everything else on line.

In fifteen years I've never lost any post using the Thai postal system, but never received the post from GiffGaff. For some reason they just won't post to Thailand. Although, once you have a sim, as soon as you turn your phone on, you get a text from GiffGaff 'welcoming you to Thailand and informing you of their charges for making/receiving calls, text and data' so they don't have a problem with their sim being used here.

Update:  My GiffGaff SIM has just this minute arrived, along with all my other missing mail that the postie has been hanging on to for the last month!

Anyway, it seems as though GiffGaff do indeed send their SIMS out to Thailand.  I shall now try to activate it.

7 hours ago, doctormann said:

GiffGaff SIM successfully activated.  Roams with DTAC.

yes mine does in pattaya.....sms are free to receive as always even on roaming (not to send obviously think its 30p)

• Thanks 1