The rich in Thailand still getting away with it! Victims in "Praewa" crash said they got nothing

webfact

The rich in Thailand still getting away with it! Victims in "Praewa" crash said they got nothing

2pm.jpg.ffb11cfa905fa6fdc73d1b499d61ba9d.jpg

Thai caption: I've seen her once in nine years

The debate about the rich in Thailand being allowed to get away with crime and not take responsibility for serious accidents has been stoked again. 

It is nearly nine years after a deadly crash that saw nine people killed in a Thammasat University van that was hit by then 16 year old Orachorn "Praewa" Thephasadin Na Ayudhya.

She did no prison time. Just some hours of community service. 

Victims hoped to get compensation. 

Some got nothing from the family of a tearaway teen vilified as "Nine Corpse Praewa" in Daily News. 

One who was injured with severely broken bones took to Twitter to say they could keep quiet no longer such was their frustration at the case. They are one of many unsatisfied in the case.

"TintinWarunyoo" spoke of how the person who caused the accident and her family had failed to take responsibility for what happened. 

She said she was lucky not to die but she had been dealt with with almost total indifference and had met Praewa once in nine years. 

She was even taunted by their family lawyer, she claimed. 

A compensation sum was agreed that was less than recommended by the court but she decided to accept to put the matter behind her.

But even that was not paid and she was told that the family would give her half . When she complained the lawyer told her to "see us in court". 

"Big mistakes should lead to the taking of big responsibility," she tweeted in Thai. 

It seems that the rich and famous in Thailand still laugh their heads off at that idea. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-07-17

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lower than pond scum. In a civilized country a person regardless of social or wealth status simply wouldn't be able to get off so leniently when 9 people have died as a result of one's reckless behaviour.

Simply, a diabolical legal system should bear the most scorn as it is clearly not serving the interests of the victims of criminal actions, or society at large.

A sickening story, gets worse every time it's updated 

9 minutes ago, webfact said:

"Big mistakes should lead to the taking of big responsibility," she tweeted in Thai. 

It seems that the rich and famous in Thailand still laugh their heads off at that idea.

Exactly, "heads off" is the way to do it.

3 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

Thailand....'Hub' of Injustice !

The notion or should I say fantasy of justice anywhere is sadly mostly a myth.

after 62 years of life I hold little hope of ever hearing of justice being done.

This terrible travesty and shameless behaviour by Thai rich and there psychologically falsely-empowered children is another example of no justice.

i live in a 1st world country where just like in Thailand if you have money justice is nearly always in your favour of those with means as good litigatory help costs fortunes to get. Poor always nearly, nearly always get the short end of the stick.

What nasty little sh*ts she and her family seem to be. If this is representative of the people who control this country, then there is no hope. The is the type of situation where someone like the PM should intervene, at least to say something, but somehow I doubt this will happen.

25 minutes ago, Katipo said:

What nasty little sh*ts she and her family seem to be. If this is representative of the people who control this country, then there is no hope. The is the type of situation where someone like the PM should intervene, at least to say something, but somehow I doubt this will happen.

Cannot the courts order forfeiture of assets of the family to pay the compensation and all associated costs for the claimants?

34 minutes ago, giddyup said:

It's not just Thailand. Just watched a doco where a rich guy in the US murdered his wife but was released on a million dollars bail pending trial. Needless to say he disappeared never to be seen again. Could a poor person been able to afford a million bucks bail?

The key difference is that in Thailand, this outcome is the rule - the 99% certainty. 

In the US, the greater majority of murderers are dealt justice of the law. 

1 minute ago, RobboR said:

If that had been my family member and seeing her utter utter contempt & complete lack of remorse, I would definitely have taken matters into my own hands

I remember this case, I am still completely surprised she is still breathing. I think in the West she would have been brought to court with a bulletproof vest on, and whisked away in a hurry after every court appearance, she certainty wouldn't be smugly travelling around like a spoiled princess. 

The army is there to protect the elite, the powerful, the super wealthy, those in power, and those that are connected. This is a tough nation for a common man or woman to live in, as their rights are not well regarded, nor protected. It is up to this family, to do everything in their power to shame the perpetrator of the manslaughter of these students, and her callous family. Nine corpse Praewa should be made to suffer, in whatever way is possible. Social media is a good place to start. 

48 minutes ago, doggie1955 said:

Just leave it to Karma",  one day Karma will handle it.

Unfortunately this karma myth seems to have taken hold, there is no such thing. Or do you think it was the karma of the people in the van to all get killed by a stupid 16 year old? This little madam refused to even do a few hours of community service unless she could chose where to do it, and they let her- at her uncles Hospital!

Civil settlements are too intertwined with criminal action here. The police seem very involved helping people get settlements and if it is deemed sufficient it seems that criminal charges are less than they should be. These issues should be very separate.

54 minutes ago, doggie1955 said:

Just leave it to Karma",  one day Karma will handle it.

No, it won’t. There’s no such thing and that exact idiot belief is part of the problem.

As far as i am awared if she was 16, than also the person from whom car was had to be responsible. Normally you cannot just give or borrow keys to a 16 year old Teenager. The second thing is definetely it should somebody take matters in own hands. 

1 minute ago, MBFC1960 said:

As far as i am awared if she was 16, than also the person from whom car was had to be responsible. Normally you cannot just give or borrow keys to a 16 year old Teenager. The second thing is definetely it should somebody take matters in own hands. 

image.jpeg.c47084a51a967c80ad1926252589a2f9.jpeg

This is Orachorn (Praewa) Thepasadin Na Ayuttaya (showing sincere remorse).

With persons of her elevated status, you don't just take matters into your own hands.

These are the Thais that bind. Protected from the top on down.

21 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

The key difference is that in Thailand, this outcome is the rule - the 99% certainty. 

In the US, the greater majority of murderers are dealt justice of the law. 

The greater percentage of murderers in the US can't afford a million dollars bail. Being rich buys you a better defense wherever you come from, but agreed Thailand has taken it to a sickening level.

39 minutes ago, ocddave said:

Nine people dead, and not a single family member has decided to take justice into their own hands? Astonishing, I would've enacted justice soon after the farce of a court case, eye for an eye.

The rich here seem to be untouchable even against payback. Like you say I couldn't sleep at night if someone had taken a loved one and walked away scot free.

37 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

Ten posts are already up. Little late on the deflection.  :thumbsup:

Not deflecting, just pointing out that the rich get preferential treatment wherever you come from.

Archived