The rich in Thailand still getting away with it! Victims in "Praewa" crash said they got nothing

webfact

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The army is there to protect the elite, the powerful, the super wealthy, those in power, and those that are connected. This is a tough nation for a common man or woman to live in, as their rights are not well regarded, nor protected. It is up to this family, to do everything in their power to shame the perpetrator of the manslaughter of these students, and her callous family. Nine corpse Praewa should be made to suffer, in whatever way is possible. Social media is a good place to start. 

The sad thing is, I doubt she or her family regard this as more than an inconvenience for them. Because that is the cultural norm in a highly segmented social structure. Would be different if any of the victims had been of equivalent or higher social standing.

They provided her with a car, knowing full well she was underage, had no license and no insurance. They let her drive around anyway. They tried to use family connections to make the case disappear, and then complained bitterly at the small amount of community service punishment; complained when the probation service said she had to do the community service at an approved hospital and not the one she wanted where a relation was in charge; and complained again when the courts stopped her from driving again for x years - petitioning for the ban to be lifted.

At no time has she or her family shown any responsibility or remorse. Just an annoyance at the inconvenience. But again, that's the social norm for hiso's.  

Until such times as families of wealth and connections aren't allowed to behave like this, the justice system has no chance. Many here are simply above the law, and many more believe they are also too. 

11 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

The sad thing is, I doubt she or her family regard this as more than an inconvenience for them. Because that is the cultural norm in a highly segmented social structure. Would be different if any of the victims had been of equivalent or higher social standing.

They provided her with a car, knowing full well she was underage, had no license and no insurance. They let her drive around anyway. They tried to use family connections to make the case disappear, and then complained bitterly at the small amount of community service punishment; complained when the probation service said she had to do the community service at an approved hospital and not the one she wanted where a relation was in charge; and complained again when the courts stopped her from driving again for x years - petitioning for the ban to be lifted.

At no time has she or her family shown any responsibility or remorse. Just an annoyance at the inconvenience. But again, that's the social norm for hiso's.  

Until such times as families of wealth and connections aren't allowed to behave like this, the justice system has no chance. Many here are simply above the law, and many more believe they are also too. 

I think the only acceptable form of justice would be to burn her and her family alive in a vehicle, let them have their smartphones so they can send their last message before they die.

17 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

This is the accepted behaviour of those you so vehemently defend in many of your posts that I simply cannot comprehend! 

45 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

This is the accepted behaviour of those you so vehemently defend in many of your posts that I simply cannot comprehend! 

Do you really think the rich on the other side of the political spectrum are any different ?

Nobody defends these kind of things people just have a political preference. I mean take Charlem (other side of the political spectrum) his son got away with murder in front of witnesses. So tell me how are the rich on the other side so different.

I am appalled by the actions of people like that not what side they are on.

1 hour ago, ratcatcher said:

image.jpeg.c47084a51a967c80ad1926252589a2f9.jpeg

This is Orachorn (Praewa) Thepasadin Na Ayuttaya (showing sincere remorse).

With persons of her elevated status, you don't just take matters into your own hands.

These are the Thais that bind. Protected from the top on down.

While she hasn't been properly punished for her crime - at least she was whacked quite a few times with the Ugly Stick. I'd bet she was a ladyboy and not a good looking one at that.

The Thai court system have no teeth....a proper awards not recommends....

authorities can freeze assets and transfer them to awarded victims....but it doesn’t work this way in thailand 

the rich run the show...there is no third party to mediate or arbitrate or award....this IS a problem 

4 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

The notion or should I say fantasy of justice anywhere is sadly mostly a myth.

after 62 years of life I hold little hope of ever hearing of justice being done.

This terrible travesty and shameless behaviour by Thai rich and there psychologically falsely-empowered children is another example of no justice.

i live in a 1st world country where just like in Thailand if you have money justice is nearly always in your favour of those with means as good litigatory help costs fortunes to get. Poor always nearly, nearly always get the short end of the stick.

A false equivalence. In most Western countries you will be prosecuted by the criminal justice system which will be entirely independent of any civil redress which would be paid for by the guilty party’s insurer with little involvement by their own customer. In fact a criminal prosecution will aid any civil proceedings as it establishes liability. In UK causing serious injury or death by dangerous driving will land you a 14 year sentence and there are examples of that happening.

3 hours ago, RobboR said:

If that had been my family member and seeing her utter utter contempt & complete lack of remorse, I would definitely have taken matters into my own hands

Don't you know your place, peasant.

The rich are superior people.

If that had been one of my kids killed by this rich tearaway, I would arrange for 9mm justice, a lot cheaper and more final than any court here, thats for sure.

See how she pays her way out of that !

5 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Cannot the courts order forfeiture of assets of the family to pay the compensation and all associated costs for the claimants?

They probably can. They won't, because of the family name...

As far as i am awared if she was 16, than also the person from whom car was had to be responsible. Normally you cannot just give or borrow keys to a 16 year old Teenager. The second thing is definetely it should somebody take matters in own hands. 
There were different reports regarding her age. Some said 15, but were quickly changed to 16.
Who knows what the truth is?

Sent from my SM-C710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Justice Ministry ready to help “Praewa” victims over lack of compensation

By The Nation

800_16327ff20855565.jpg

Wealthy teenager “Praewa” leans against a road barrier and uses her phone to send messages just moments after causing the fatal crash of December 27, 2010.

Deputy Permanent Secretary of the Justice Ministry, Tawatchai Thaikyo, has expressed his readiness to help those injured in the fatal road accident involving wealthy teenager Orachorn “Praewa” Devahastin Na Ayudhya nearly nine years ago.

“Praewa” was aged just 17 when she crashed into the back of a public van operating the Thammasat University-Victory Monument route in Bangkok in December 2010, killing nine people and wounding six others.

Some of the survivors said on social media earlier this week that they still hadn’t received any compensation, although the Supreme Court finalized the civil case against Praewa on May 8 and ordered her, her parents and the person who lent her the car to pay large sums to the wounded and deceased.

Since the defendants had reportedly not obeyed the court’s order, Tawatchai said the victims could submit a request to a court to issue a legal execution warrant and seize the defendants’ assets instead. He therefore urged the victims to seek help from the Legal Execution Department or the Justice Ministry joint service centre.

The defendants, who didn’t show up to hear the Supreme Court verdict, should have paid the compensation within 30 days but there has been no progress nor any response from them. The lack of action prompted outrage on social media and a revival of the hashtag #แพรวา9ศพ (Praewa Nine Bodies).

Among those voicing his sadness at the defendants’ Iack of action was one of the survivors, Warunyoo “Tintin” Ketchoo, who was 20 at the time. 

He wrote on Twitter that while he sustained serious bodily injuries his biggest pain was that the defendants had still not paid any compensation.

“I understand that you didn’t mean to cause the crash, as it was an accident,” he tweeted. “But what to do afterwards, as humans should treat one another, is more important than lawsuits. That amount of money [in compensation] in exchange for being in a crash like that, who would ever want such a deal?”

According to court documents, Praewa has since the accident changed her name twice, first to “Buabucha Devahastin Na Ayudhya”, then “Rawinpirom Arunwong”. 

She is also apparently leading a happy life, having got married in 2014 to a notable politician, a former member of a sub-committee of the National Legislative Assembly’s Standing Committee on Local Administration. That is according to a 2014 post by a Thai Facebook user, who attended the wedding. 

Praewa has never been in prison over the crash, having received only a four-year suspended sentence. She was also ordered to serve 138 hours of community service, which she completed in 2016, and banned from driving until the age of 25. 

The families of the wounded and deceased filed a civil lawsuit against the defendants, initially demanding a total of Bt113 million, plus 7.5 per cent annual interest until the completion of payments. That has since shrunk to Bt19.8 million, plus interest, or about Bt80,000-Bt1.4 million to each victim. 

An insurance company has, however, paid a total of Bt10 million to the victims as per 13 civil lawsuits.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30373108

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand  2019-07-17

1 hour ago, Lucius verus said:

I remember when this happened. The young girl sat on the bridge talking to her friends or family on her cellphone while 9 kids were dying down below.

No point getting angry about this.

Thai don't care.

They're devout Buddhists.

I don’t think they are devout Buddhists .... maybe only in name. They ain’t fooling those up there. Karma will deal with them individually. Only a matter of when. 

12 hours ago, ocddave said:

Nine people dead, and not a single family member has decided to take justice into their own hands? Astonishing, I would've enacted justice soon after the farce of a court case, eye for an eye.

The average Thai is too passive. One more reason the elites get away with what they do.

20 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

That's one of the major problems here, once you win a case for compensation, how to actually get that compensation paid ?? It's very hard to enforce without taking them to court again...

Little people loose, big people don't give a rat's a.s

I such a case as this I would for the first time ever contribute to a go-fund-me plan to employ a decent honest lawyer to pursue the driver & her insurance company for compensation to at least that recommended by the court plus aggravated damages from not paying up todate. Problem being where would one find a competent honest lawyer willing to take on a high society lawyer.

17 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

The irony is that the family name has a "Na" in it. Untouchable.

Untouchable by whom? Or does it really mean in this day and age or current context untouchable as in unclean, not worthy and not to be associated with?

16 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The army is there to protect the elite, the powerful, the super wealthy, those in power, and those that are connected. This is a tough nation for a common man or woman to live in, as their rights are not well regarded, nor protected. It is up to this family, to do everything in their power to shame the perpetrator of the manslaughter of these students, and her callous family. Nine corpse Praewa should be made to suffer, in whatever way is possible. Social media is a good place to start. 

Exactly.................a dedicated Thai language web site...........or a Hi So publication like Hello magazine that dishes out dirt.

16 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Everyone in Thailand thinks they are above the Law...................

16 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

image.jpeg.c47084a51a967c80ad1926252589a2f9.jpeg

This is Orachorn (Praewa) Thepasadin Na Ayuttaya (showing sincere remorse).

With persons of her elevated status, you don't just take matters into your own hands.

These are the Thais that bind. Protected from the top on down.

She looks well fed to me......................

Archived