International/Bilingual schools for under 150,000k per year?

davidupatterson

Hey all, 

We've been homeschooling our Filipino 15 year old, but are considering sending him to an international/bilingual school in Chiang Mai or Hang Dong so that he can integrate a little more with kids his age. 

We can't afford well-known schools like Lanna or Grace, but wonder if you have a recommendation for something more affordable for us. We're looking for something with:

• English medium
  • Extracurricular activities/sports are available
  • Under 150,00 THB per year. 

Is this possible? Thanks so much for your help, 

Dave

Sarasas in both CM and Hang Dong has International thai and thai/english- all within your budget. Our 11 y o goes to CM Sarasas and I noticed one opposite Makro in Mae Hia.  Worth a look in my view although I cant speak for International. Our lad has moved from thai only to Thai/english stream and is coping well, enjoying it, learning and being challenged.

There are a number of billingual schools. Ambassador (ABS) and Varee immediately spring to mind. My boys have attended both. 

Quite a few others around. We did look into Satit which is near Kad Farang but too far from where we live (Promenada).

Prince Royal, Montfort, Dara are other options in town. I believe these are geared more to Thai but teach in English too.

Feel free to PM me.

Unfortunately, many of the Thailand International schools are a joke.

The examples I have are US parents living and working in Thailand.

They send their kids to these schools with a goal of sending them to a US high end collegiate experience. They get very high grades here during their enrollment.

But most if not all I know, fail miserably on the S.A.T. test and end up in a much lower end University. 

My point is, the International schools here I believe provide an inferior education for a great cost.

But, do what you want. I think it is a huge waste of money.

There is a school in Chiang Mai Land area called Wichai Wittaya, my daughter went there for a few years when she was young before going to a real international school.  kindergarten and 1st grade.  I just looked they seem to have a English program that seems like you don’t have to speak Thai for your age of child.  I can’t find the price but I paid 90k plus 10k for books and things,    8-9 years ago.

Please see wichai.ac.th

They have more a mix of different kind of foreigners there, a few Sikhs, few Muslims, various Asians, farangs, etc. Less Thai than the other schools listed above.

15 hours ago, stament said:

Where's that near Ruam Chok?

Yearly costs?

On the road away from Mee Chok towards the 700 year stadium in the same grounds as NIS, 3029 I think it is. The Middle Ring road.   It works out about 100,000 thb a year fo the 2 terms. Plus the books and Uniform so about another 5 or so on top.

On 7/19/2019 at 9:37 PM, bkk6060 said:

They send their kids to these schools with a goal of sending them to a US high end collegiate experience. They get very high grades here during their enrollment.

But most if not all I know, fail miserably on the S.A.T. test and end up in a much lower end University. 

My point is, the International schools here I believe provide an inferior education for a great cost.

Let's not be too judgmental. Education is a sensitive topic involving not only money and children, but parents' own educational experience and expectations. What one man sees as a "lower end" school, another might see as a great leap forward. My father was the only of his 8 siblings to go to college, attending at a big public university on the GI Bill (and later grad school), and managed to send all three of his children to excellent colleges and universities (in my case, a top-20 school at the time). Her mom left school at 18, but my wife graduated CMU. (And much to her mom's credit, as an adult she attended college part time and earned her degree after age 50.) 

In my experience, the top few international schools are fine at the younger grades. But when it comes to high school and college prep, they can't compete with a back-home environment where the entire system and peer group are geared towards higher education. By definition, international schools have kids aiming for radically diverse university systems in the US, UK, across Europe, Australia, Taiwan, Korea, Thailand et al. So a good plan is to resettle back home for a few years and, if your are lucky, take advantage of good free public schools (we were lucky to be in a great school district in my home state). Thailand's not going anywhere; it will still be here when or if you return. 

Regarding cost, we paid about $7k or 200K baht a year to CMIS, which I think was good value. The greater investment however was in relocating for a few years back home. But well worth it-- junior got into the school of his choice and I can sleep at night knowing that we provided the best we could.

That uprooting is a great idea but not open to everybody, as, apart from cost/desirability of getting housed in an area that qualifies the child for a good state school (uk), there is also the issue of extended family  responsibilities here to consider, which can not always be handled by just sending cash home. 

Another option is to go to uni in home country-uk in my case, when the time comes.

I know a couple of smart thais who went through the system here at modest schools, did their degrees here, then did a 3 month english brush up college in London, before repeating their degrees in London.

Great experience and education for them, making them far more employable here than their peers. Both have very good jobs now.

Not a one size fits all issue and I will be interested to read experience and ideas from other posters.

10 hours ago, beau thai said:

That uprooting is a great idea but not open to everybody, as, apart from cost/desirability of getting housed in an area that qualifies the child for a good state school (uk), there is also the issue of extended family  responsibilities here to consider, which can not always be handled by just sending cash home. 

Another option is to go to uni in home country-uk in my case, when the time comes.

I know a couple of smart thais who went through the system here at modest schools, did their degrees here, then did a 3 month english brush up college in London, before repeating their degrees in London.

Great experience and education for them, making them far more employable here than their peers. Both have very good jobs now.

Not a one size fits all issue and I will be interested to read experience and ideas from other posters.

You mean they did the same degree again for 3 years but just in English language instead of Thai?

On 7/19/2019 at 11:36 AM, prism said:

Varee's English Program is supposed to limit their class sizes 35 students. Some of the other bilingual schools have very large class sizes. Varee EP program is within your budget. 

I am English and my step daughter Thai.  She attended Varee school from 11 years old and is now at Chiang Mai University.  She did not attend the International program, it was too expensive for me. But within your budget.  I taught her English at home.  The school is good.  She was happy.

On 7/19/2019 at 7:37 PM, bkk6060 said:

I buy a whole set of books to teach my kids after school and on weekends. School is a great social thing, but I'm not sure that's worth the 150K i pay for each of them....

• 1 month later...
On 7/19/2019 at 8:37 AM, bkk6060 said:

Beyond kindergarden level, schools here have been nothing but disappointment. Sorry to say.

And we aren't paying 150,000 a year, more like double that amount.

Friends have their kids at one of the schools that charge 200,000 a year.

Listening to their stories, I rather keep my kids at home then send them there.

Specifically in Chiang Mai, the inflated growth of Chinese families (read: huge additional demand) led schools to increase fees and reduce quality. Some have just realized they can do whatever they feel like and get away with it. More profit to ownership, teachers turnover remains high. Prices creep up towards Bangkok levels.

Waste of money? it's all about alternatives. Thailand isn't the place to go to for high quality education, I think there's no debate about that. Still, if you're here, you have to choose from what you got. Thai schools are much worse in my opinion. Home schooling is good if you have plenty of time on your hands.

Archived