BANGKOK
geovalin

Foreigners to be barred from running small businesses

The Labour Ministry is preparing a directive to bar foreign nationals from self-employment in 10 categories of work, including as managers of human resources or administration in private companies. Heng Sour, a ministry spokesman, yesterday said the other categories included being taxi, tuk-tuk or rickshaw drivers, barbers, street vendors, or running small businesses.

He noted that foreigners who live and work in the Kingdom will also have to contribute $360 annually to the economy. “The jobs which most of them will be barred from is informal work, including driving taxis, tuk-tuks and rickshaws, selling on streets, being barbers, carrying out delivery services or running small businesses,” Mr Sour said. “The ministry is preparing a directive and will issue it soon.”

He said that the ministry will also ban foreigners from taking up positions as managers of human resources or administration in private institutions or enterprises. “In order to receive permission for using foreigners to work with them, the enterprises or institutions have to show that they have given priority to recruiting Cambodians or that the foreigners have expert skills which Cambodian people do not in order to run their businesses,” Mr Sour noted.

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50624564/foreigners-to-be-barred-from-10-types-of-jobs/

• Confused 1

No selling Som Tam

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

''Not allowed to run a small business'' seems to be a pretty broad stroke of the pen.

''He noted that foreigners who live and work in the Kingdom will also have to contribute $360 annually to the economy'' - This seems to be pretty low if running a business.

Edited by userabcd

Posted (edited)

I was thinking of starting this franchise when I employ guys 60+ as gigolo’s down Walking St. Guess I will take my business elsewhere. It had so much potential too.

Edited by ianezy0
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Denim said:

Oh dear. Just when I was in the middle of getting financing for my first tuk tuk. Guess its back to pedal power again for my regular passengers.

Read it again. Rickshaws are also banned.

• Haha 2

Oh this is a surprise?  Really?  Thailand doesn't want foreigners, why do you think BJ was invented.  Why do you think Thai immigrations laws are stronger & more effective than China's and Trump's wall combined.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2