Foreigners to be barred from running small businesses

geovalin

The Labour Ministry is preparing a directive to bar foreign nationals from self-employment in 10 categories of work, including as managers of human resources or administration in private companies. Heng Sour, a ministry spokesman, yesterday said the other categories included being taxi, tuk-tuk or rickshaw drivers, barbers, street vendors, or running small businesses.

He noted that foreigners who live and work in the Kingdom will also have to contribute $360 annually to the economy. “The jobs which most of them will be barred from is informal work, including driving taxis, tuk-tuks and rickshaws, selling on streets, being barbers, carrying out delivery services or running small businesses,” Mr Sour said. “The ministry is preparing a directive and will issue it soon.”

He said that the ministry will also ban foreigners from taking up positions as managers of human resources or administration in private institutions or enterprises. “In order to receive permission for using foreigners to work with them, the enterprises or institutions have to show that they have given priority to recruiting Cambodians or that the foreigners have expert skills which Cambodian people do not in order to run their businesses,” Mr Sour noted.

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50624564/foreigners-to-be-barred-from-10-types-of-jobs/

I personally have not met any retired expats aspiring to become a rickshaw driver to supplement their income...

Stopping small businesses?  What does this mean?  What qualifies as a small business with this government? 

''Not allowed to run a small business'' seems to be a pretty broad stroke of the pen.

''He noted that foreigners who live and work in the Kingdom will also have to contribute $360 annually to the economy'' - This seems to be pretty low if running a business.

12 minutes ago, Denim said:

Oh dear. Just when I was in the middle of getting financing for my first tuk tuk. Guess its back to pedal power again for my regular passengers.

Read it again. Rickshaws are also banned.

Oh this is a surprise?  Really?  Thailand doesn't want foreigners, why do you think BJ was invented.  Why do you think Thai immigrations laws are stronger & more effective than China's and Trump's wall combined.

21 minutes ago, mike787 said:

Oh this is a surprise?  Really?  Thailand doesn't want foreigners, why do you think BJ was invented.  Why do you think Thai immigrations laws are stronger & more effective than China's and Trump's wall combined.

Didn't read the article, huh? 

1 hour ago, Puchaiyank said:

I personally have not met any retired expats aspiring to become a rickshaw driver to supplement their income...

Stopping small businesses?  What does this mean?  What qualifies as a small business with this government? 

Keep your pants on, it’s not this government but in Cambodia ????

Seems the usual whingers' shoulder chips are so big that they can't even read where this is taking place.  I can't wait for one of them to state that this is the last straw, so will be moving to Cambodia.  Thai immigration should rename their policy to "smart guys in, fools out" as that seems to be where it's heading.

30 minutes ago, mike787 said:

Well from my knowledge BJ was invented to provide man with immense pleasure  provided by the woman . 

5 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

Seems the usual whingers' shoulder chips are so big that they can't even read where this is taking place.  I can't wait for one of them to state that this is the last straw, so will be moving to Cambodia.  Thai immigration should rename their policy to "smart guys in, fools out" as that seems to be where it's heading.

so you think whinging about whingers is any better - it isn't

43 minutes ago, mike787 said:

what does that have to do with Cambodia?

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

Read it again. Rickshaws are also banned.

Hell.....missed that. Oh well , hoop and stick with an umbrella it will have to be but I think it will lose me customers.

Archived