Foreigners to be barred from running small businesses

geovalin

1 hour ago, KhunKenAP said:

Read the first post. This looks like something reported in the Cambodia News not Thailand.

Yes as usual many jump at the chance to bash again!!!Shows how smart they are.!!!

3 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

I personally have not met any retired expats aspiring to become a rickshaw driver

Don't knock till you've tried it Bubba.  It's great exercise and you meet only the finest people.

"He noted that foreigners who live and work in the Kingdom will also have to contribute $360 annually to the economy."

You're setting the bar high, Cambodia. I recently spent more than that, just by visiting Phnom Penh for three days.

6 hours ago, dutchdude said:

maybe it's an attempt to stop the Chinese invasion

I hope so, but I am sure the Chinese vendors in China's Special Economic Zone (Sihanoukville) will be allowed to continue - "business as usual"!

The entire Asean region in my view is moving in the wrong direction in terms of the policies that are being enacted by the governments. They've had the opportunity to send their countries in a positive direction by attracting foreign investment, technology, etc. and because of greed they've sold out to the highest bidder and now are going to be stuck in with the results of these bad decisions for a long time. 

"... or that the foreigners have expert skills which Cambodian people do not"...

They can walk and chew gum at the same time and also most are able to resist the urge to toss their used plastic bag and trash at the first available footstep. That's two. No change coming. It's currently $180 a year for a foreign employee exemption. An increase to $360 sounds like the change. The tuk tuk / rickshaw, barber, street vendor categories will be to prevent Vietnamese and Chinese nationals primarily. Everyone take a breath.

14 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Thank god no foreigners allowed to drive taxis....there are enough cheats and crooks amongst the majority of Official Thai taxi/tuk tuk drivers...

Do you know how many "Official Thai taxi/tuk tuk drivers..." there are in Cambodia? Just curious.

21 hours ago, mike787 said:

Oh this is a surprise?  Really?  Thailand doesn't want foreigners, why do you think BJ was invented.  Why do you think Thai immigrations laws are stronger & more effective than China's and Trump's wall combined.

Cambodia, not Thailand

14 hours ago, 4737 Carlin said:

The Cambodians really do have an inflated sense of their countries' appeal. Nobody in their right mind would choose to live in Cambodia over Thailand.

its nothing to do with cambodians. cambodia is a dictatorship that makes its own laws without any public input

Archived