Clock Time all over the place

ignis

Been happening for some months, so change the Motherboard battery 2 week ago..  still the same...

eg @ 06:15 this morning the time on PC said 10:30, now is 10:15 and the PC clock says it is 01:55............ Yes it is set to Bangkok time zone.... Yes many times I have change the clock in settings to correct time, sometimes this will keep the correct time all day, other days will be slow or be in front, date is always correct..

Any ideas why ? what to do ?

Perhaps some software changes it? If the bios battery works and windows can connect to a time server (you can try to force a sync) and it still gets changed then perhaps a software changes it - can be something running in the foreground or background. 

Just now, Beggar said:

Perhaps some software changes it? If the bios battery works and windows can connect to a time server (you can try to force a sync) and it still gets changed then perhaps a software changes it - can be something running in the foreground or background. 

No idea.......... Moved the clock in the room so can see it from PC  ..  it is now 11:15, the PC says it is 03:58.  so in 1 hour the PC clock has gained yet another hour.

If you don't need the PC start the PC and try to get into the bios. Set the correct time and leave the bios and without going into windows switch it off. Next time when you start it check first if the time in the bios is still correct before windows is started. So you know if the board creates the time problem or not. Also try to force in windows the update of the time from a time server. Perhaps a firewall blocks this. And the next thing would be to find out which software creates perhaps this problem. 

56 minutes ago, Beggar said:

If you don't need the PC start the PC and try to get into the bios. Set the correct time and leave the bios and without going into windows switch it off. Next time when you start it check first if the time in the bios is still correct before windows is started. So you know if the board creates the time problem or not. Also try to force in windows the update of the time from a time server. Perhaps a firewall blocks this. And the next thing would be to find out which software creates perhaps this problem. 

Looked in the Bios, the time is not correct + the date says 14/01/2014....  ??  I need to change that ?

On 7/18/2019 at 7:24 AM, Beggar said:

Yes

Many thanks..

Spent the last 3 hours trying, well got it off 2014 and is 2019 but no matter how many times I try it will always reset to Friday 19 July 2019...........  well now say's 00:05 on 20 July 2019.. maybe changed 30 + times to Thursday 18 !!!  Help ? 

any idea what this could mean ? AMD Motherboard and FX CPU are old, real old at least 11 years old.... cannot remember when I built this PC. [Believe Window 8 was new, upgraded long ago to Win 10]

Rest is up to date, new case [ AZZA 10 fans] about 3 months old + added new CPU paste and new CPU Cooler, + gave all a good clean  - Thermaltake  850 PSU,  I put in about 6 months ago and a new Graphics card about a year ago...  Got a new deal from TRUE so from yesterday now have 300/100 fiber.. 

Any advice or help please

Does it reset when you don't go into windows already and stay only on bios level or later when windows is started? Don't worry we will find a fix in the worst case using the internet and an atomic clock. But first we should look on your local PC level if we can fix anything there. If it changes in windows check the time zone again and try to force an update using a time server there. 

14 minutes ago, Beggar said:

Does it reset when you don't go into windows already and stay only on bios level or later when windows is started? Don't worry we will find a fix in the worst case using the internet and an atomic clock. But first we should look on your local PC level if we can fix anything there. If it changes in windows check the time zone again and try to force an update using a time server there. 

Many thanks

Synchronize your time, tap on sync now.  DONE

Yes so far appears to work and the PC clock now say's 13:10  18/7/2019

Up date:  nothing much changed, but found out that every evening when shutting down to go to bed... Then in the morning PC starts at that shutting down time............  eg: start up at 6 am, PC clock shows 22:15 the night before date... Yes I always go to bed around 10 pm..

Synchronize time every morning.................. any help as to why ? or what to do to fix

On 7/20/2019 at 1:54 PM, ignis said:

Up date:  nothing much changed, but found out that every evening when shutting down to go to bed... Then in the morning PC starts at that shutting down time............  eg: start up at 6 am, PC clock shows 22:15 the night before date... Yes I always go to bed around 10 pm..

Synchronize time every morning.................. any help as to why ? or what to do to fix

Hi ignis,

Assuming you got your BIOS time corrected, I would suggest you go into Services and change Windows Time service from the default manual to automatic startup type and see if this makes a difference. To do this (one of many ways) press Windows key + r, type services.msc and scroll down to Windows Time. You should see something like this:

time-1.jpg.cd3af88254fae6f77dc49db532a043fa.jpg

If you double-click on the Windows Time line, you should get the next box open. (Alternately you can right-click and click on Properties) 

time-2.jpg.8a617f14e87a2d390d4a6a9cad49b79c.jpg

On the startup type click on the down arrow and select Automatic and then apply. If the service isn't started, click Start and then OK. NOTE: this will likely show as Automatic (Trigger start); this is OK.

If this doesn't make any difference, I would run sfc.exe (System File Checker) to make sure there are no corrupt system files. (Windows key + r, type sfc.exe)

Last thing i would try would be to setup a new user profile (with admin rights) and test the time from that profile. Hope that will help a bit.

15 hours ago, chrisinth said:

Hi ignis,

Assuming you got your BIOS time corrected, I would suggest you go into Services and change Windows Time service from the default manual to automatic startup type and see if this makes a difference. To do this (one of many ways) press Windows key + r, type services.msc and scroll down to Windows Time. You should see something like this:

time-1.jpg.cd3af88254fae6f77dc49db532a043fa.jpg

If you double-click on the Windows Time line, you should get the next box open. (Alternately you can right-click and click on Properties) 

time-2.jpg.8a617f14e87a2d390d4a6a9cad49b79c.jpg

On the startup type click on the down arrow and select Automatic and then apply. If the service isn't started, click Start and then OK. NOTE: this will likely show as Automatic (Trigger start); this is OK.

If this doesn't make any difference, I would run sfc.exe (System File Checker) to make sure there are no corrupt system files. (Windows key + r, type sfc.exe)

Last thing i would try would be to setup a new user profile (with admin rights) and test the time from that profile. Hope that will help a bit.

Many thanks

'you got your BIOS time corrected'  well at long last maybe -- this morning the Year and Month were correct, and only 1 hour slow, so adjusted that again, so will see.  at least is is not 5 years out now, or 2 days ahead. before changing this was OK for the day but on restart would change itself..

Getting a habit in the mornings to go into BIOS... this morning date and year correct but 4 hours 45 mins behind..  ?  

Accident on the main road, all companies repairing the lines since 7:30 this morning [got message on mobile] ..  Internet just come back on...  the clock is now only 1 hour 20 mins behind..

Sounds like you just have a bad clock on the board.  It happened to me once about 15 years ago....a brand new Gigabyte motherboard....clock would lose a couple hours everyday.  Took the board back to the store; store gave me a new motherboard....it worked fine.

9 hours ago, lungbing said:

Are you sure the new battery you put in was a good one?

Good question. bought new in blister pack, next time in Town will buy another and see....  

Out of interest ? before going to bed the PC clock was the right time !!  Did nothing..........  This morning BIOS Clock was again 4 hrs 45 min slow + PC Clock.  at this moment the PC clock shows 4 hrs and 7 min slow.. so during the day catches up..

8 hours ago, Pib said:

Sounds like you just have a bad clock on the board.  It happened to me once about 15 years ago....a brand new Gigabyte motherboard....clock would lose a couple hours everyday.  Took the board back to the store; store gave me a new motherboard....it worked fine.

That is a thought, as said before my Gigabyte motherboard is 11 years old..

When you stop using the computer in the evening shut windows down and go into the bios. Set there the correct data. Next day in the morning go into the bios before you go into windows and check if the time is correct. Just to find out if your board is the problem or windows, 

why don't you start with giving the motherboard make/model   I wasn't aware AMD made  mb's

and did you say this is windows 8 ?

pretty sure if your bios isn't keeping time,  no  need to  bother with  hoping  windows 8  will ,   newer mb's don't even have batteries anymore, maybe time to spend a few bucks

2 hours ago, mooping20Baht said:

why don't you start with giving the motherboard make/model   I wasn't aware AMD made  mb's

pretty sure if your bios isn't keeping time,  no  need to  bother with  hoping  windows 8  will ,   newer mb's don't even have batteries anymore, maybe time to spend a few bucks

As said in post 18...... Gigabyte motherboard  = No 970A-D3P  No onboard graphics [AM 2 new in the day]

As said in Post 7.......... Windows 10 for some years = 10 Pro 64 bit..

As for 'maybe time to spend a few bucks'   Yes been looking = New Motherboard [AM4] + CPU [Ryzen 5 or 7] + Ram 16 GB DDR 4]   can do myself but still around 16.000 baht for a so so spec.

Just to replace the Main/Motherboards = not an option as only every seen low end AM2 'new' Main/Motherboards + with only 2 or 4 Sata connections [I use 6]  So the New AM4 board = must have new CPU and Memory as different

4 hours ago, mooping20Baht said:

No need to buy a new motherboard. In the worst case a small Freeware can set the correct time at every startup from an atomic clock server. This would be the easiest option. But first we should look at the board, at windows and perhaps some software. At the moment it is not clear to me where the problem is created. This is why I asked to check only the board clock in the Bios at different times without using any operating system in between. 

UPDATE:  BIOS yesterday date + year fine just 4 hours 45 mins slow......... did nothing did not change time, noticed during the day the time court up, and before evening meal was correct time.......

This morning BIOS date: 01/01/2014........... day Wednesday 00:03.. ?

changed - exit & Save, restarted in BIOS it said 26/07/2019.... but day Wednesday 06:05 ? went into Windows the date and day was correct but time 4 hours 45 min slow  

Edit: today is Friday 26  Not Wednesday.....  here the BIOS is not correct, but Windows is.

5 hours ago, ignis said:

UPDATE:  BIOS yesterday date + year fine just 4 hours 45 mins slow......... did nothing did not change time, noticed during the day the time court up, and before evening meal was correct time.......

This morning BIOS date: 01/01/2014........... day Wednesday 00:03.. ?

changed - exit & Save, restarted in BIOS it said 26/07/2019.... but day Wednesday 06:05 ? went into Windows the date and day was correct but time 4 hours 45 min slow  

Edit: today is Friday 26  Not Wednesday.....  here the BIOS is not correct, but Windows is.

Did you try this from #19

When you stop using the computer in the evening shut windows down and go into the bios. Set there the correct data. Next day in the morning go into the bios before you go into windows and check if the time/date is still correct. Just to find out if your board is the problem or windows.

Again - don't let the the OS start between these 2 Bios checks. This way you can check your board clock. If the time/date of the board is not correct - you also said you will try a different battery. Did you do this? If you have a voltage meter then check the battery with this. 

Is your system overclocked? 

17 hours ago, Beggar said:

Did you try this from #19

When you stop using the computer in the evening shut windows down and go into the bios. Set there the correct data. Next day in the morning go into the bios before you go into windows and check if the time/date is still correct. Just to find out if your board is the problem or windows.

Again - don't let the the OS start between these 2 Bios checks. This way you can check your board clock. If the time/date of the board is not correct - you also said you will try a different battery. Did you do this? If you have a voltage meter then check the battery with this. 

Is your system overclocked? 

When you stop using the computer in the evening shut windows down and go into the bios. Set there the correct data. Next day in the morning go into the bios before you go into windows and check if the time/date is still correct. Just to find out if your board is the problem or windows........  YES  =   was correct day and year but 4 hours 45 slow.....  Next morning was back to BIOS date: 01/01/2014........... day Wednesday 00:02..

Windows Date and time Correct...

different battery. Did you do this?....  Not yet, can go to Amon again 16 km trip, but this new battery came from there, so when I go into Bang Yai will get one there 35 km trip.. will need to go shopping next week..

Is your system overclocked?   NO

Tried again last night and this morning with same results..

On 7/26/2019 at 8:26 AM, ignis said:

So the problem seems to be the board. Try a new battery - every 7-Eleven should have it. If it still doesn't work you could try some freeware. Here is a link with a lot of description and download options for freeware. 

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/synchronize-clock-windows-10-with-internet-atomic-time/

The Freeware part starts in the middle of the page.

Update:

New Panasonic battery fitted Sunday......  now is Thursday and still no change must go into Bios every morning and reset, as always reads 01/01/2014.. time as always in Bios 00:02..........  Windows time = the time that the PC was switched off the night before, but the date is correct..  [eg yesterday switched off at Wednesday 22.05 on 31/07/2019.......... this morning time showing was 22:10 but date was 01/08/2019..  ??

Bios = change date + time, re enter Bios without starting Windows = sometimes still says the 01/01/2014, but the time is correct ? other times shows it has the new date.. [ yesterday re entered Bios 3 times before starting and the date 31/7/2019 was showing every time, yet this morning was 01/01/2014 again]

The Gigabyte website + motherboard manual say to update/flash Bios to always have the latest.....  reading many Tech sites says if PC is working do not Flash Bios

Worth trying to Flash Bios ? or an other idea please ?

3 hours ago, ignis said:

The Gigabyte website + motherboard manual say to update/flash Bios to always have the latest.....  reading many Tech sites says if PC is working do not Flash Bios

Worth trying to Flash Bios ? or an other idea please ?

If I understand you correctly it worked before with the existing Bios version. So a new Bios might not change anything. Flashing a new Bios can be risky. You have a Gigabyte board? Then perhaps it has a backup Bios already to reduce this risk. Mine has. 

What you could also try is what I advised before already - in the evening shut Windows down and go in the Bios and set the correct data. Leave the Bios and go into it again to make sure that the settings are correct for sure. In the morning check the data in the Bios again without using Windows in between. But this time shut the PC down but leave the power on. It will be in standby mode and the power supply and not the battery will support the board clock. 

Let me know the result. If it still doesn't work perhaps one of the freeware options I sent you might be the final fix. 

Re - 'shut the PC down but leave the power on. It will be in standby mode and the power supply and not the battery will support the board clock. '

No idea if that will work.. most nights + in the day time the electric will go out, eg: last night woke up fans not working in bedroom was 02:33, got up came down stairs and 15 or so mins later it came back on...  PC Bios was 01/01/2014....   electric has just come back on again after 15 mins out, PC switch on and Bios was correct both date and time.  Guess that means if electric is only out for 10 mins then the Bios stays correct.. 

Perhaps your board is damaged or the contacts to your battery have a problem. The boards are produced to keep the time without a correction by the internet - not all PCs are connected to it. An easy fix might be to try the freeware I told you. Look at it and let me know what you think. 

Archived