Chevy Captiva problem..

Hi people's 

Auto transmission issue with a 2008 Captiva. Will not go into drive consistently. Ok into reverse, park and neutral but struggling with drive selection. If left in neutral for 30 secs, it will engage drive no problem but shifting direct from park to drive is a no go !! 

My guess would be transmission fluid low or needs changing but I have no experience with autos, I'm a manual kinda guy ????

Any thoughts or experience on this from the guys that know stuff ??

Check the fluid level first, check handbook for procedure, but if it is the normal way, start the car, let it idle, go through all the gears whilst stationary, the put in "park", pull out the stick and wipe it, put it back totally and pull out as quick as you can and check the level on the stick markings.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Chevrolet/Captiva/transmission/index.shtml

10 minutes ago, transam said:

I forgot. When you check the level use white tissue, look at the colour and smell the fluid. Should be pink, not dark red or brown and have a sweet smell, not a burnt smell...

As ATF should.. It seems a lot of these transmission fluids are not easy to access !! It's the sister in law's car, she's taking it to a garage tomorrow anyway as it needs a fuel diagnostic check.. I'll go with her and make sure they check the auto fluid too... 

1 minute ago, cornishcarlos said:

As ATF should.. It seems a lot of these transmission fluids are not easy to access !! It's the sister in law's car, she's taking it to a garage tomorrow anyway as it needs a fuel diagnostic check.. I'll go with her and make sure they check the auto fluid too... 

As the ride is over 10 years old inquire how often the trans fluid has been changed, if at all. The fluid is the trans life blood...

3 minutes ago, transam said:

As the ride is over 10 years old inquire how often the trans fluid has been changed, if at all. The fluid is the trans life blood...

Yup, I have a feeling it will never have been changed !! Trouble is, for the first 8-9yrs she was in Bangkok, so all servicing done there. Doubt she would have kept the service reports but I'll ask...

Be careful with Auto trans fluid. I changed mine in my civic a few years ago, as it was out of the regular service routine and hadn't been changed for a number of years. Changed the fluid at Bquik. A few days later I had a leak coming from the seals on the auto box. I took it to an independent garage and had to drop out the box and change the seals. Not an easy job. The cleaning agents, as I've read, may have loosened the gunk on the old gasket, causing it to leak. I think it cost about 5000 baht to do that job. 

1 minute ago, DavisH said:

Be careful with Auto trans fluid. I changed mine in my civic a few years ago, as it was out of the regular service routine and hadn't been changed for a number of years. Changed the fluid at Bquik. A few days later I had a leak coming from the seals on the auto box. I took it to an independent garage and had to drop out the box and change the seals. Not an easy job. The cleaning agents, as I've read, may have loosened the gunk on the old gasket, causing it to leak. I think it cost about 5000 baht to do that job. 

Box seals can harden with age/heat but you have got to be very unlucky for it to happen. A gasket, as you quote, is a different matter, usually tightening the screws fixes it, but not always..The thing is you were right to change the fluid as your 5000bht probably would have been peanuts if you hadn't..

54 minutes ago, transam said:

Box seals can harden with age/heat but you have got to be very unlucky for it to happen. A gasket, as you quote, is a different matter, usually tightening the screws fixes it, but not always..The thing is you were right to change the fluid as your 5000bht probably would have been peanuts if you hadn't..

I sold that car not long ago for 230K. 2014 model with 250K kms on it. Had a few issues with it but it was pretty reliable overall. Bought the crv. 

Trans fluid should be changed every 40th KM. That's a max according to Toyota. Might be different on other lumps. But if you take that as an average you'll be fine. If I was doing all my driving in BKK, I would look at every 30th as it gets a real bashing in heavy traffic.

As Trans has said T/fluid is the life blood of any auto box. 

24 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Trans fluid should be changed every 40th KM. That's a max according to Toyota. Might be different on other lumps. But if you take that as an average you'll be fine. If I was doing all my driving in BKK, I would look at every 30th as it gets a real bashing in heavy traffic.

Well she is up over the 200k mark now, so the ATF must be a right mess if never changed ????

54 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Ford Ranger shows 195,000km on website for auto transmission oil

6 hours ago, Samuel Smith said:

One of the reasons they (Ford) suffer with dodgy trans problems I suspect.

Some of the things Toyo have on their 40th KM service list, are wheels off change round, clean check brakes, grease prop, Engine oil ditto filter, Gearbox, rear axel. Front axel, splitter box (those last two if 4X4) oil change. How Ford can say 190th+ I don't know. Best of luck if you go that long. 

13 hours ago, Samuel Smith said:

Yep, many rides can go on for ever with the same fluid, really depends on the box type/design.

CVT auto is a different ball game though, totally different animal, where early change is a good idea...

8 hours ago, fredob43 said:

One of the reasons they (Ford) suffer with dodgy trans problems I suspect.

Some of the things Toyo have on their 40th KM service list, are wheels off change round, clean check brakes, grease prop, Engine oil ditto filter, Gearbox, rear axel. Front axel, splitter box (those last two if 4X4) oil change. How Ford can say 190th+ I don't know. Best of luck if you go that long. 

In the US, my Dodge Ram recommended transmission fluid/filter change is 120,000 miles which is up about where Ford Thailand says the Ranger transmission service should be. If the truck was doing a lot of hauling and towing, Dodge recommended the fluid/filter change be done at 60,000 miles. Can't imagine the need to change the fluid/filters at 40,000 km especially on an SUV with only 2-up most of the time. I think it is down to technologies and different AT manufacturers? Who makes the Toyota AT anyway?

FWIW, the transmission on my Dodge cratered in the parking lot at an Olive Garden at around 105,000 miles. The bulk of that was long city commute driving (it was Houston!) with maybe 3 or 4 long (2-3 day) interstate trips a year.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

In the US, my Dodge Ram recommended transmission fluid/filter change is 120,000 miles which is up about where Ford Thailand says the Ranger transmission service should be. If the truck was doing a lot of hauling and towing, Dodge recommended the fluid/filter change be done at 60,000 miles. Can't imagine the need to change the fluid/filters at 40,000 km especially on an SUV with only 2-up most of the time. I think it is down to technologies and different AT manufacturers? Who makes the Toyota AT anyway?

FWIW, the transmission on my Dodge cratered in the parking lot at an Olive Garden at around 105,000 miles. The bulk of that was long city commute driving (it was Houston!) with maybe 3 or 4 long (2-3 day) interstate trips a year.

Toyo don't recommend filter change in auto box. Just oil change.

I did say in my OP that others might be different. It's just that the new boxes seem to require more frequent changes. What with the extra 24/7 heat here added to the fact that it only cost peanuts to do why not. (My old one used to cost around 3th bht to do a full 40th km service at Toyo) New one not done 30th yet so cant say on that. Whatever I don't think it's a bad idea anyway.

N/B. How many Toyo auto box problems do you read about, must tell you something.

3 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Toyo don't recommend filter change in auto box. Just oil change.

I did say in my OP that others might be different. It's just that the new boxes seem to require more frequent changes. What with the extra 24/7 heat here added to the fact that it only cost peanuts to do why not. (My old one used to cost around 3th bht to do a full 40th km service at Toyo) New one not done 30th yet so cant say on that. Whatever I don't think it's a bad idea anyway.

N/B. How many Toyo auto box problems do you read about, must tell you something.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Toyota use Aisin auto's, well my 4x4 auto box was. My 1988 V6 Volvo also used an Aisin/Warner box, that car had 200,000 miles on the clock with perfect fluid colour and smell and I didn't change it very often....

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Toyota use Aisin auto's, well my 4x4 auto box was. My 1988 V6 Volvo also used an Aisin/Warner box, that car had 200,000 miles on the clock with perfect fluid colour and smell and I didn't change it very often....

I also had the same Toyo gear box as you had in my last Tuna. The new 6 speed one is a totally different kettle of fish. Changes a lot more often than old box, also slows the lump down that's something the old one didn't do. In sports mode even more, so works harder. Toyo used to recommend 40th oil change for the old one. So the same in the new set up doesn't seem over the top to me. It's in their book so that's what I do. 

As I have said only cost peanuts to do here. And a lot cheaper than a new box.  

So update time..Sister in law found an independent garage that just does Chevy motors, recommended by couple local people. So I went with her this morning and we were in n out in 90 mins !! 

Issue with not going into drive was a broken bush on the transmission lever on top of the g/box.. Asked them to change oil anyway, can only do 50% (4 litres) without doing a full flush. So will change again soon to be safe. The guy told us should be changed every 40k so confirms what Fredob said before.. Also did the diagnostics check, fixed a dodgy airbag sensor plug and changed AC filter behind glove box... All up, 2300 baht ????

Transmission oil on was at its limit 

1563425981411.thumb.jpg.300ec74598cc6d7db19552995e5e3e26.jpg

1563425983442.jpg

4 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

So update time..Sister in law found an independent garage that just does Chevy motors, recommended by couple local people. So I went with her this morning and we were in n out in 90 mins !! 

Issue with not going into drive was a broken bush on the transmission lever on top of the g/box.. Asked them to change oil anyway, can only do 50% (4 litres) without doing a full flush. So will change again soon to be safe. The guy told us should be changed every 40k so confirms what Fredob said before.. Also did the diagnostics check, fixed a dodgy airbag sensor plug and changed AC filter behind glove box... All up, 2300 baht ????

Transmission oil on was at its limit 

1563425981411.thumb.jpg.300ec74598cc6d7db19552995e5e3e26.jpg

1563425983442.jpg

If that's the fluid out the trans, it is in a shit state....

When the fluid is drained there is probably more litres than drained left in the box, mainly in the converter....If me I would take the stick out and check the colour, if it is still dark do another drain. If that garage has the hydraulic purge system to get 95% out I would do it...

Do not use a generic transmission fluid, no matter what they claim on their label. TF have a lot of very special testing done, lubricity just one among them. Just as important is compatibility with friction materials, solenoids and seals - the latter refers not only to the leaks you can see from the outside, but also internal seals.

Color is not as important as is the smell (color depends on the new stock and varies from manfkt to manfkt) - if there is a burned smell, your transmission is probably toast.

2 hours ago, mistral53 said:

if there is a burned smell, your transmission is probably toast

The transmission isn't toast, it's working fine.. Changes smoothly with no evident slipping on hard acceleration. She might have caught it just in time but will swap out the fluid again in another week... She only has Thursdays off ????

Archived