Parts of Thailand facing their worst drought in 50 years

Jonathan Fairfield

Parts of Thailand facing their worst drought in 50 years

s1.jpg

Caption: Worst drought in 50 years

Sanook reported that farmers in some parts of the north and north east of Thailand were facing their worst drought in living memory. 

Particularly bad with rivers and reservoirs 10% below the levels of the same time last year is the area of Lamphun in the far north. 

Farmers are being urged to collect rainwater over the next two months because there won't be enough to go round from the usual sources.

Areas of Khon Kaen and Nakhon Ratchasima are also facing the worst drought in 50 years. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-07-17

Frightening.

One hot and dry day follows the other.

Pumps are running high.

And then you read the news about terrible monsoon rains in South Asia.

Deviation from normal rainfall since Jan 1:

DepRAIN1Jan160719.gif

1 hour ago, terminatorchiangmai said:

How about the rain making project with planes ?

Or is this only done when its to late already and there are no more clouds in the sky ?

Edited 27 minutes ago by terminatorchiangmai

They probably sold the small fleet of aircraft to buy the submarines. 

I haven't heard much at all about the activities of this aircraft fleet for a long time now

4 hours ago, terminatorchiangmai said:

How about the rain making project with planes ?

Or is this only done when its to late already and there are no more clouds in the sky ?

"rain making" works only when saturised clowds are present and only need a condensation nucleous to form rain drops. 

In our village all the Yai say they have never seen the river dry. It has been dry for 7-8 months. Rice is withering brown and crisp. Last year was 50% normal rice yield. This year there may not be any. Maybe no income for a lot of families. 

5 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Frightening.

One hot and dry day follows the other.

Pumps are running high.

We are not as badly off as you up here but there is still no rain (9 days now) for the dry land rice to grow. Luckily we have a well for our own 2 rai garden.

6 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Areas of Khon Kaen and Nakhon Ratchasima are also facing the worst drought in 50 years. 

Yet officials in charge are still taking the monthly pay-cheque

yesterday i was driving from Chantaburi in eastern to chiangrai in northern....from 6 o’clock morning to 10 pm about 1100 kilometers and crossed about 20 provinces! 

But not find only a bit rain ! Sun and dry ???? 

after 17 years stay here  first time find rainy season same this ????

I was not happy when i got flooded in upper BKK but now I am happy I live there at least there is always enough water. For those provinces near the river their rice will be worth a lot more as the other provinces can't produce. 

People are talking about more dams, that might be good but if there is no rain dams won't help much. I hope they put in action some plans for the future. But farmers should also think about different crops or giving it up totally. Water for human consumption first then for agriculture. 

The government should of course compensate the farmers for this bad year that is the least they can do. 

16 hours ago, DepDavid said:

In our village all the Yai say they have never seen the river dry. It has been dry for 7-8 months. Rice is withering brown and crisp. Last year was 50% normal rice yield. This year there may not be any. Maybe no income for a lot of families. 

Yep, wifey's village 90Kms north from Korat is really suffering, no rain means no rice = no income for families = no food on the table, i really feel for the people. 

I dont understand this, I looked up the 10 year average for rainfall for Buri Ram last nightas I was in a discussion with the g/f who is there while Im stuck in Oz and found that wettest months are August and September in most years, 2014 was terrible all round, so dont see the problem unless August gives very little.

23 hours ago, DepDavid said:

Maybe less smoke pollution this burn off season ???????? coff coff.

Archived