Anyone taken the Nongkhai-Laos shuttle train?

Not sure which sub-forum to post this question. Mods please move if needed ????

I'm relocating from Nong Khai to Laos.  I have a few boxes of personal goods, 2 TV screens and a bicycle to take with me.

Frankly, it is a major hassle to hand-carry these through NK Thai immigration, onto the bridge bus and then through Lao immigration.

It seems better to load them onto the shuttle train at NK railway station, stamp out of Thailand at the station, go over the bridge on the train, stamp into Laos at the small railway station just over the bridge and then be met by a private car and driver to take me up to Luang Prabang, (I'm not struggling on the public bus thank-you!).

Has anyone used this shuttle train?  I read a travel blog from an Indian guy who said it was all very easy.

1 minute ago, inThailand said:

Can't you just hire a taxi with your possessions in tow from Nong Khai, go through immigration and drive up to LP? 

Actually yes, this is the solution that I've chosen.  I have booked a private car to come over the bridge from Laos, enter Thailasnd, pick m,e up with my boxes, go back through Thai and Lao customs and then drive up to LP.

I couldn't find anyone on the Thai side willing to do this, and it makes sense to use a left-hand drive Lao car anyway.

7 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Just curious why you are moving from Thailand to a less-developed country, although i'm told Luang Prabang is nice. It's an interesting move.

It's the first step before Andorra...

8 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Just curious why you are moving from Thailand to a less-developed country, although i'm told Luang Prabang is nice. It's an interesting move.

Having lived in Burma for the past 5 years, and having recently returned to Thailand, I think I prefer to live in 'less-developed' countries.  I previously lived in LP around 2012/13 and very much enjoyed the locality, (but not the job at the time).

In a nutshell, I'm tired of the uncertainties in Thailand, and tired of being treated by the government and immigration like a prisoner out on bail.  My Elite visa is coming up for renewal and I'm not prepared to shell out 500,000 baht, nor am I willing to put 800,000 baht in the bank.  In Laos or Burma (or many other countries), I only need to renew my visa once a year, don't have to do 90 day reports, don't have to have $$$ in the bank blah blah blah ????

My choice was wittled down to relocating back to Laos or relocating back to Andorra (where I lived in the 90's).  After investigation, I discounted Andorra (for the moment), because of the fiscal statements needed while I am still working.  Once retired, I might move back to Andorra, but for now it's Luang Prabang.

8 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Read his posting history.... Interesting if a little sad.  Got burnt in Thailand big time by multiple Thai wives.  Make your own conclusions. 

8 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Read his posting history.... Interesting if a little sad.  Got burnt in Thailand big time by multiple Thai wives.  Make your own conclusions. 

Not quite correct.  Got burnt by one Thai wife and bounced back.  Got burnt by drug dealers and corrupt local police and bounced back.

If you're looking for a sad, broken man, you're looking at the wrong person.  Those events made me a stronger person. and sad isn't in my vocabulary. 

So yes, make your own conclusions.

10 hours ago, simon43 said:

Having lived in Burma for the past 5 years, and having recently returned to Thailand, I think I prefer to live in 'less-developed' countries.  I previously lived in LP around 2012/13 and very much enjoyed the locality, (but not the job at the time).

In a nutshell, I'm tired of the uncertainties in Thailand, and tired of being treated by the government and immigration like a prisoner out on bail.  My Elite visa is coming up for renewal and I'm not prepared to shell out 500,000 baht, nor am I willing to put 800,000 baht in the bank.  In Laos or Burma (or many other countries), I only need to renew my visa once a year, don't have to do 90 day reports, don't have to have $$$ in the bank blah blah blah ????

My choice was wittled down to relocating back to Laos or relocating back to Andorra (where I lived in the 90's).  After investigation, I discounted Andorra (for the moment), because of the fiscal statements needed while I am still working.  Once retired, I might move back to Andorra, but for now it's Luang Prabang.

I can very much relate to your current situation. Have you considered Vietnam at all? Its a country I’m currently considering. I prefer Buddhist countries though. Vietnam is often loud and chaotic. I think i will go check out Luang Prabang. Visited there about 20 years ago. Being able to “self medicate” fairly easily and freely is also one of the factors i take into considerations. Lao is good for that.

19 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Just IMO, It's more laid back, the people treat me as a local (discounts in shops, bars - I never ask for), can go home with a Lao girl easier for free (not a hooker), Beerlao, good expat community, less rules than Thailand (ie smoking, vaping etc) and things are improving slowly re roads, trains, etc

But there are cons, roads are terrible, lots of things are more expensive, there are no chain restaurants/shops here (good/bad depending on your persepctive), the rules we do have are pretty odd (no flags except for Lao & communist ones, no tattoo shops - seems to be getting ignored more now though, no sex with a Lao partner before marriage - never been a problem for me but I know 3 couples that got caught).

A lot of people who end up here tried Thailand and first and then come here when they get married & are a bit older it seems but there's a lot of younger expats here too 20's and 30's.

8 hours ago, Exilerunner said:

BTW, I came in on the shuttle train from Laos this week and there was a customs check on the Thai side. Everyones luggage was searched. Just FYI.

I decided to go out of Thailand by private Lao car.  Any luggage searches shouldn't be a problem - I'm not smuggling drugs or dildos....

Archived