Class act: Thai teacher learns how to make English lessons fun

Jonathan Fairfield

3 hours ago, connda said:

That's a start to break the monotony of classic Thai rote teaching which is both ineffective and simply plain boring.  So - kudos.  It's a start in the right direction.

If it works then well done, better than the proverbial Thai teacher quoting from a book and watching all the kids dying of sheer boredom.

If they pay attention for a while longer and ask questions then good luck, at least the teacher is saying lets have fun rather than cow-down to me like I'm some sort of god!

Bravo to the teacher for trying something different,wait and see if the results are positive or not,if not try something else.For all the nay sayers there's more to education than boring lessons.If nothing else he's teaching kids to think outside the box and have fun doing it which is sorely needed here in Thailand.Thanks for rekindling smiles in the land of smiles.People perform much better when they are enjoying themselves.

8 minutes ago, Mackstask said:

That's the problem here in Thailand's schools, everything has to be fun, fun, fun. Nothing is ever taken serious, especially when it comes to learning English. That's why their so crap at it.

I discern you have never been a teacher.  That's not why they are so bad at it.  (you aint so good yourself) The reason Thai children can't speak English is because of incompetent Thai college English professors.  One has to start somewhere. 

If the teacher can't speak English the students are not going to be able to speak English.  It would be a relatively easy problem to solve if there was a need to solve it.  However, there is no need to speak English because all of you English speakers are going home because you can't afford to live in Thailand.  The mobile phone will translate nicely and accurately soon eliminating the need entirely.  

40 minutes ago, nickstav said:

"Keeping them stupid at the lower levels keeps me in work when they get older...". What a horrible, horrible thing to say about children. 

Horrible or not, fact is, that's exactly what's happening! Not just in the English classes either. 

The educational system here is failing the kids, year after year, decade after decade and nothing has been/is being done about it. Sorry if that's too horrible a thought to fathom. 

7 minutes ago, djayz said:

Horrible or not, fact is, that's exactly what's happening! Not just in the English classes either. 

The educational system here is failing the kids, year after year, decade after decade and nothing has been/is being done about it. Sorry if that's too horrible a thought to fathom. 

Sorry, what's horrible is that you revel in it. 

23 minutes ago, nickstav said:

Sorry, what's horrible is that you revel in it. 

I most certainly do not! 

I merely pointed out that, later in life, they realise that their English language skills are not good enough to get them into a university abroad or a higher salary/promotion, then they come to private language centers to do some serious study in the hope it'll give them a better chance. 

Thanks to that, I'm in full-time employment with WP and visa, doing a job I enjoy and am good at.

I most certainly am grateful, for the above mentioned reasons, but I don't revel in it. 

2 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

Also learning from them, is (should be) an important aspect of History lessons but it (errors/mistakes) cannot be taught here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My problem has always been not learning from my mistakes but I do get better at making them!I might even turn professional.

32 minutes ago, djayz said:

I most certainly do not! 

I merely pointed out that, later in life, they realise that their English language skills are not good enough to get them into a university abroad or a higher salary/promotion, then they come to private language centers to do some serious study in the hope it'll give them a better chance. 

Thanks to that, I'm in full-time employment with WP and visa, doing a job I enjoy and am good at.

I most certainly am grateful, for the above mentioned reasons, but I don't revel in it. 

Well, I'm relieved to hear that you don't revel in it. Let's just leave it at that. Peace.

So the teacher took the focus away from teaching English and turned the classroom into a one man show with all of the attention on him. I am sure this was fun for a few minutes. Can't wait to see what he does tomorrow.

7 hours ago, z42 said:

Style over substance. And what learning is taking place? And could (considerable) time spent applying make up have been better spent on preparing materials?

Just looks like a cheap gimmick to me. And for the record i am a qualified, licenced teacher with 13 years experience across 3 continents, so I am in a position to comment

OMG!!! The amount of negative comment here. Enough to make normal people cry at your constant unrelenting criticism. Can't you just shut up and go back under your stones?

25 minutes ago, stubuzz said:

So the teacher took the focus away from teaching English and turned the classroom into a one man show with all of the attention on him. I am sure this was fun for a few minutes. Can't wait to see what he does tomorrow.

He won't be in because he needs a day off to get the Makeup off. 

Teaching in Thailand (and perhaps worldwide) is definitely being dumbed down. Even at university level, 'students' are treated as primary-school kids. I was amazed (and still am) at the childishness of some of the activities that university students are asked to engage in (walking around the classroom to look for little notes of information stuck up on classroom walls; drawing silly little pictures - on and on it goes). 

My view is if you have to run around the classroom in outrageous makeup and masks to get the kids just a little bit more interested in the lesson - it's time to pack up and go home! The extra amount the kids learn via this 'methodology' will likely be negligible - not worth all the theatrics and drama.

Thais really need to understand that many things in life - and studying is one of those things - are not all about 'fun, fun, fun'. Some things require hard work and sustained EFFORT. Thais are not noted for that, I'm sorry to say.

I dread to think how utterly dumbed down and puerile, infantile beyond belief, the face of Thai 'education' will become in a few years' time. Heaven help us - and Heaven help the Thais!

P.S. Remember how the Thai 'journalists' dressed up as little children a few years ago on Children's Day and let Prayut 'play' with them? That is what you get when you normalise and 'legitimise' the notion of treating an entire nation as little infants - year upon year upon year. We see the results.

The best teacher is consider the most popular teacher regardless if they actually teach anything or not. This is why they have student votes for most popular teacher at some Thai schools and present them at a ceremony. The students cheer as the young teacher dances their way up stage and is given some award. This is pretty much the first thing that is argued not to do when I started my education degree. If a teacher dressed in a chicken suit and danced in front of the students and juggled every class that teacher would be "the best." The strict old veteran teacher who has mastered classroom beahaviour is not valued and is usually seen shaking their head at this. That is why they never smile. 

I'm just wondering what's being taught. The only engagement and skill I see being used might be listening. Just looks like a stunt. If the entire course revolves around the teacher's excuse to dress in drag, that's an issue. Every teacher knows or should how deadly too much lecturing ruins learning. Classroom should be a place for learning and a bit of fun great but I think if this is typical there's nothing going on. I do applaud his energy and use of English in the class. Most Thai teachers is just reading and grammar.

22 hours ago, lust said:

Thai teaching English... 

The teacher is doing what he's paid to do.....Entertain! For one hour the students are happy, isn't that all the Thai govt. want?

When I learned French at school many years ago, I was lucky enough to be taught by a teacher who had studied and lived in France, as well as French exchange teachers. Fifty years later I still remembered enough to get by when I spent six weeks there. 

How many Thai teachers of English have spent any time in an English-speaking country? The poor kids would be better off just watching English language movies rather than copying the accent of their Thai teachers. 

Interactive teaching is great, but I suspect this teacher’s method has more to do with indulging his own personal proclivities than  effective teaching.

On 7/17/2019 at 3:50 PM, Myran said:

Ugh, I'm getting flashbacks to Dead Poets Society and all the "fun" teachers it spawned.

As more of an introvert by nature, the classes I appreciated most at school were those that were well thought out, where the teacher had sound knowledge and authority, and was able to structure a lesson well. Showmanship counts for little unless it occurs naturally on the back of these qualities. It's always seemed misplaced to favour extrovert behaviour when a good half of the population isn't that way inclined by nature, and cultures like Thailand aren't that way as a whole. A philosophy of "he who shouts loudest wins" seems particularly ill-suited to this part of the world.

Regarding the contrived jollity and enthusiasm in the movie, these things can't be faked, and it could even cause long term harm forcing some people to be outgoing against their nature. Let's not forget also that Robin Williams' struggles with bipolarism eventually pushed him to take his own life.

3 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

As more of an introvert by nature, the classes I appreciated most at school were those that were well thought out, where the teacher had sound knowledge and authority, and was able to structure a lesson well. Showmanship counts for little unless it occurs naturally on the back of these qualities. It's always seemed misplaced to favour extrovert behaviour when a good half of the population isn't that way inclined by nature, and cultures like Thailand aren't that way as a whole. A philosophy of "he who shouts loudest wins" seems particularly ill-suited to this part of the world.

Regarding the contrived jollity and enthusiasm in the movie, these things can't be faked, and it could even cause long term harm forcing some people to be outgoing against their nature. Let's not forget also that Robin Williams' struggles with bipolarism eventually pushed him to take his own life.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Throughout my childhood I was constantly pestered at school to "come out of my shell" and basically told that there was something wrong with me.

The teachers who were adamant in forcing students to do wonky things at the front of the class were the absolute worst, while I fondly remember the calm ones who actually had interesting things to say, and who managed to engage the students without clowning around.

Archived