BANGKOK
oporhatch

Poor internet speeds

I have been pulling my hair out over the last few days (not that I have any !!) .   Increased my bandwidth to 150mbps on the thought I would be able to use my VPN when streaming  IPTV Services . By the way I am with CAT.

My Streaming experience from last year performance to this year has nose dived ....last year I nearly had it all sorted, except the standard VPN degradation issue I was experiencing when using it , hence I thought the upgrade in bandwidth would enhance my degradation level .

What I have found ........

No VPN to the outside of Thailand I am getting a far reduced Mbps  (forget sites like OOKLA states 150mbps)  I used https://testmy.net/....

The conclusion I have proven is if I set the VPN to say Singapore (which gives me about 50/60mpbs) my download streaming experience of IPTV services and other APK's

improves greatly .

My overall thought is that for instance Singapore is overall a more major internet Hub and therefore faster access overall to for instance IPTV Services being hosted 

from Canada and the US...................or is my ISP throttling me and if so how can I prove it !!

Any thoughts, comments , insights , experiences that anybody would like to share with me  - would be much appreciated

regards

Opor 

Not sure where you are, but i get 150+ ( i'm paying for 200) mgb with AIS 5th generation fiber and so far so good no complaints, cost 750 b. month,

for people who uses internet often it's worth it..

I am out in the sticks near the cambodian border -  I had to subsidise the installation fee for the village, just that I could 

get internet 

I think only CAT is out here  - I am not sure ..

When the SA KAEO internet man comes round he runs a standard speedtest which states 150mbps....I think my issue is when I leave Thailand -  I also notice that it is worse between the 18:30 and 20:30....proabably standard.  Last year I had 100mbps and my streaming experience etc was 80% to the good.....with a change to an andriod box and the extra MB I thought I was going tp get it up higher ..instead I am currently sitting at about 40%

My missus hates all the aggro I give her about internet speed.....but maybe I will look to change to another supplier if possible   

regards   

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

What are you paying to cat per month you do not say. just because you pay for say 150 does  not mean you are not sharing with 50+ others on your node

I have cat and I only share with 4 others =5 with me but it costs you and if you do not have the funds then one has to put up with whats supplied and more and more are going onto your node daily slowing it down and playing games

Edited by whiteman

CAT has 2 level of services. Home user and business packages. If you are on the basic and most common home package you’ll be sharing with many others. If you go to a higher priced package you will share with fewer users as you will only share with users on the same package. I recently switched from a CAT business package to the highest priced home package and it’s very good. It is also possible the issue is with your VPN or TV streaming service.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

OP, you can stream a 1080 movie with speeds as low as 5-10 Mbps so not much to do with your connection speed. Probably more to do with VPN and traffic at the remote end. 

Its not a local wifi issue is it, you and 3-4 neighbours are on the same channel ?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, oporhatch said:

When the SA KAEO internet man comes round he runs a standard speedtest which states 150mbps....I think my issue is when I leave Thailand -  I also notice that it is worse between the 18:30 and 20:30....proabably standard. 

When the technicians do speed tests they do them to Bangkok as that is all that they will guarantee. Speeds outside of Thailand will invariably be slower and with cheaper packages will probably be very slow.

Singapore is somewhat different as the peering arrangements are usually better to there, so that is where you should set your VPN exit point to.

• Like 1

We are with TOT -on their 750 Baht per month as opposed to 650 Baht standard -at times it is soooooo slow- only option offered is the 1200 Baht package. Friends use 3BB but seem to have even more problems. I'm not sure what Oporhatch means by changing VPN.  here in Tha Bo Nong Khai area. Bit of a duffer on that. Also CAT AIS don't seem to see these companies (systems?) Any advice gratefully received.

2 days of school holidays doesn't help, millions of kids playing computer games! 

• Like 2

I live in a rural area and I'm on a TOT 100/50 plan. Using a VPN connected to Australia I consistently get speeds of 32 down and 16 up which is easily enough for streaming movies, live sports etc.

Posted (edited)

I think, since there are limited connections from Thailand to the international internet, the service providers limit the speed to outside for private users to favor businesses (Japanese companies). I once called True and complained and the speed immediately improved. I think AIS, because it is a Singapore based company, have to follow international standards, they are restricted from limiting the speed for any customer. My wife's relatives in BKK have AIS and when we visit them the speed is always reliably high.

Edited by AlQaholic

(1) Rural parts vs The Big Smoke (2) 95% of the service providers' customers have no interest in anything outside Thailand & in any case no non-Thai/Khmer/Lao language skills.

Using the link to testmy.net provided by oporhatch in his OP I have just done a speed test and the results were 15.2 mbps down and 4.1 mbps up. I then did another test with speedtest.net (Ookla) and got 36.33 down and 11.92 up. So why the discrepancy? I am with TOT on a vdsl of 30/10. Can someone please explain?

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, bahtboy said:

Using the link to testmy.net provided by oporhatch in his OP I have just done a speed test and the results were 15.2 mbps down and 4.1 mbps up. I then did another test with speedtest.net (Ookla) and got 36.33 down and 11.92 up. So why the discrepancy? I am with TOT on a vdsl of 30/10. Can someone please explain?

testmy.net by default runs a test to servers in Japan. Speedtest.net will find a local server. So basically the results you got show the difference between downloading a file from a Thai server compared to one outside the country. As mentioned above there are limited connections from Thailand to the international internet and that slows things down.

Edited by Kron
  • Like 1