Poor internet speeds

oporhatch

I have been pulling my hair out over the last few days (not that I have any !!) .   Increased my bandwidth to 150mbps on the thought I would be able to use my VPN when streaming  IPTV Services . By the way I am with CAT.

My Streaming experience from last year performance to this year has nose dived ....last year I nearly had it all sorted, except the standard VPN degradation issue I was experiencing when using it , hence I thought the upgrade in bandwidth would enhance my degradation level .

What I have found ........

No VPN to the outside of Thailand I am getting a far reduced Mbps  (forget sites like OOKLA states 150mbps)  I used https://testmy.net/....

The conclusion I have proven is if I set the VPN to say Singapore (which gives me about 50/60mpbs) my download streaming experience of IPTV services and other APK's

improves greatly .

My overall thought is that for instance Singapore is overall a more major internet Hub and therefore faster access overall to for instance IPTV Services being hosted 

from Canada and the US...................or is my ISP throttling me and if so how can I prove it !!

Any thoughts, comments , insights , experiences that anybody would like to share with me  - would be much appreciated

regards

Opor 

Not sure where you are, but i get 150+ ( i'm paying for 200) mgb with AIS 5th generation fiber and so far so good no complaints, cost 750 b. month,

for people who uses internet often it's worth it..

I am out in the sticks near the cambodian border -  I had to subsidise the installation fee for the village, just that I could 

get internet 

I think only CAT is out here  - I am not sure ..

When the SA KAEO internet man comes round he runs a standard speedtest which states 150mbps....I think my issue is when I leave Thailand -  I also notice that it is worse between the 18:30 and 20:30....proabably standard.  Last year I had 100mbps and my streaming experience etc was 80% to the good.....with a change to an andriod box and the extra MB I thought I was going tp get it up higher ..instead I am currently sitting at about 40%

My missus hates all the aggro I give her about internet speed.....but maybe I will look to change to another supplier if possible   

regards   

What are you paying to cat per month you do not say. just because you pay for say 150 does  not mean you are not sharing with 50+ others on your node

I have cat and I only share with 4 others =5 with me but it costs you and if you do not have the funds then one has to put up with whats supplied and more and more are going onto your node daily slowing it down and playing games

CAT has 2 level of services. Home user and business packages. If you are on the basic and most common home package you’ll be sharing with many others. If you go to a higher priced package you will share with fewer users as you will only share with users on the same package. I recently switched from a CAT business package to the highest priced home package and it’s very good. It is also possible the issue is with your VPN or TV streaming service.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

OP, you can stream a 1080 movie with speeds as low as 5-10 Mbps so not much to do with your connection speed. Probably more to do with VPN and traffic at the remote end. 

Its not a local wifi issue is it, you and 3-4 neighbours are on the same channel ?

13 hours ago, oporhatch said:

When the SA KAEO internet man comes round he runs a standard speedtest which states 150mbps....I think my issue is when I leave Thailand -  I also notice that it is worse between the 18:30 and 20:30....proabably standard. 

When the technicians do speed tests they do them to Bangkok as that is all that they will guarantee. Speeds outside of Thailand will invariably be slower and with cheaper packages will probably be very slow.

Singapore is somewhat different as the peering arrangements are usually better to there, so that is where you should set your VPN exit point to.

We are with TOT -on their 750 Baht per month as opposed to 650 Baht standard -at times it is soooooo slow- only option offered is the 1200 Baht package. Friends use 3BB but seem to have even more problems. I'm not sure what Oporhatch means by changing VPN.  here in Tha Bo Nong Khai area. Bit of a duffer on that. Also CAT AIS don't seem to see these companies (systems?) Any advice gratefully received.

I think, since there are limited connections from Thailand to the international internet, the service providers limit the speed to outside for private users to favor businesses (Japanese companies). I once called True and complained and the speed immediately improved. I think AIS, because it is a Singapore based company, have to follow international standards, they are restricted from limiting the speed for any customer. My wife's relatives in BKK have AIS and when we visit them the speed is always reliably high.

(1) Rural parts vs The Big Smoke (2) 95% of the service providers' customers have no interest in anything outside Thailand & in any case no non-Thai/Khmer/Lao language skills.

16 minutes ago, bahtboy said:

Using the link to testmy.net provided by oporhatch in his OP I have just done a speed test and the results were 15.2 mbps down and 4.1 mbps up. I then did another test with speedtest.net (Ookla) and got 36.33 down and 11.92 up. So why the discrepancy? I am with TOT on a vdsl of 30/10. Can someone please explain?

testmy.net by default runs a test to servers in Japan. Speedtest.net will find a local server. So basically the results you got show the difference between downloading a file from a Thai server compared to one outside the country. As mentioned above there are limited connections from Thailand to the international internet and that slows things down.

1 hour ago, vincent13 said:

I live in a rural area and I'm on a TOT 100/50 plan. Using a VPN connected to Australia I consistently get speeds of 32 down and 16 up which is easily enough for streaming movies, live sports etc.

I live in a rural area NE of Surin and have 3BB 200/200 Fiber. I stream Aus TV and I just tested my connection and my speeds are 167.1 down/150 up with a 17ms ping connecting to 7plus.

I have a slower internet speed than you with AIS fibre (50/20 mbps) and use ExpressVPN. I am mainly through a Los Angeles server so I can watch live F1 races. I stream this from my iPhone to Apple TV. Aside from the lower download though the VPN I have had no problems. Other times I use the Singapore server.

The only time I notice a very slow response is when I am at the shopping centre or other areas that have AIS SuperWiFi. Pretty obvious I guess. Then I sign out of my VPN but have to be careful not to use my bank apps or other private apps.

1 hour ago, tweedledee2 said:

I live in a rural area NE of Surin and have 3BB 200/200 Fiber. I stream Aus TV and I just tested my connection and my speeds are 167.1 down/150 up with a 17ms ping connecting to 7plus.

I have the same in Kalasin province, but my laptop is a few years old and will only give me 100/100. At least, that was the technician's explanation when he came to test it. He didn't get 200 on his laptop, but not far short. But 100 is more than adequate anyway.

On the VPN thing (I use VPN Unlimited), I'm told by my tv supplier that Hong Kong is also good, although the go-to country is Singapore. I usually get around 30 when I test with testmy.net with 50mps set as the size to test and connecting to London as I am instructed to do by my tv supplier, and 100 when I test with 3BB. Considering I live in a village, although on a main road, I think it's close to a miracle how good and reliable my internet is. I used to have CAT, but that was unreliable and I had to go to Kalasin 50 kms away to see them. 3BB are just down the road and super efficient.

3 hours ago, vincent13 said:

I live in a rural area and I'm on a TOT 100/50 plan. Using a VPN connected to Australia I consistently get speeds of 32 down and 16 up which is easily enough for streaming movies, live sports etc.

I'm in Phetchabun using TOT (150 I think) and have a lot of trouble viewing KAYO Sports in the evening. Lots of buffering. I have two VPNs.The subscription one NordVPN in slower than the free one HolaVPN. I am convinced that the problem is the VPN rather than with TOT but don't know what to do about it. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Get 3BBB.........I pay for 10O Mbps........when they upgraded to 200, they gave me 200 at no additional charge.......

when I do ADSL Thailand speed test, I am typically getting 220-240 and sometimes only 140-180...........which is way more than ya need to stream video with no starts n stops

CAT is the wholesaler you are getting it direct from them - just make sure you have fibre optic even its costing a lot to install its really incredibly fast

I had fibre in the north and it was insanely quick - vpn should also not slow down at all do not route to singapore thats just adding lag route to europe to get on the main ring and you will be good

Best just buy a private vpn you own and not to rent a third party service - $5 a month on digital ocean then you know you dont have to share it with a billion people and have direct connection 

6 minutes ago, Captain 776 said:

Do NOT use OOKLA for speed test, gives much lower numbers.

Try using ADSL Thailand u will get higher results

ADSL is terribly slow he must pay for fibre to get the desired performance worth the investment

On topic answer; last few days Internet seems to be slow in more than 1 place (I had issues in CNX and now also told that there is some slowdown in Vientiane since a few days). Perhaps some maintenance or issues.

For speeds you should be fine with as little as 5-10 Mbps, as long you actually get that speed on servers abroad. That is the question, local measured speed say nothing at all.

Might also be that a cable was hit, near your village, as cable management is super Pro here.

I was having trouble using VPN for video, then someone recommended smartdnsproxy.com.  I tried it and seemed to have better luck.  I've been using it for a few years now, and don't recall ever not being able to stream.  And pretty much no buffering.  Before with VPN the evenings were few and far between when I could stream.

You can select DNS servers closest to your country, I selected Singapore and Tokyo.  It's about the same cost as a VPN, and they offer VPN service as well.  Maybe give it a shot, it seemed to end my aggravation.  Good luck.

It's  likely your VPN.... I have ADSL from 3BBB, nominally rated at 50down/20 up. ADSL is fine, although fiber would be nice it isn't necessary for streaming. Besides they said they can't install in the condo.????

I use Express VPN.

Using Speedtest.com (OOKLA) the speeds

Ping (ms)        Down (Mbps)           UP (Mbps)

vpn off (Bangkok)       16                      65.5                     22

VPN on Singapore       42                    61.5                       19

VPN on Hong Kong     68                     60.6                      16

VPN on Los Angeles   240                    59.7                      3.7

VPN on London          218                    57.6                      5.6

The site you use for testing the speeds is irrelevant as long as you use it consistently.  It doesn't appear that anything is being throttled in or out of Thailand.  I regularly connect to Los Angeles to stream and watch US tv that is blocked outside of USA (netflix, amazon, networks).  For day  to day, i connect to singapore or hong kong for anonymity and security.

Try a different VPN    they are not all created equally.  Good luck

4 hours ago, Kron said:

testmy.net by default runs a test to servers in Japan. Speedtest.net will find a local server. So basically the results you got show the difference between downloading a file from a Thai server compared to one outside the country. As mentioned above there are limited connections from Thailand to the international internet and that slows things down.

Most helpful. Thank you Kron.

1 hour ago, Captain 776 said:

Do NOT use OOKLA for speed test, gives much lower numbers.

Try using ADSL Thailand u will get higher results

Sorry to say but Ookla always gives a higher reading than testmynet. But whatever the speedtest results are, it will not make any difference to your internet speed.

Archived