Poor internet speeds

oporhatch

Thanks alot for all your input .

I am not sure what the cost of the package I have is ,  but I will take note of a previous comment about improving my package to improve my speeds.

Also in answer to a question previously I use ExpressVPN and I am the only one on the channel as  nobody else in the village has 5gh capability  (according to Analiti)   

I am going to keep monitoring for a couple of weeks, to see if a trend appears (ie dips certain times/days) etc

Today it has been ok and I notice through analiti app..it is stating I am getting 169mbps instead of the normal 150mbps -  again analiti probably just uses  a internal thailand ping method .  Maybe the increase today !! is for the reduction yesterday .....

As today I am watching the same IPTV services that buffered yesterday , without any buffering today 

again thanks for all you inputs  -   I am sure many people go through this same process of getting their infrastructure correct to get the best results out of internet TV etc

Once I get more statistics/information  I will make a decision on my next steps and I am quite happy to pay for it.

regards

Oporhatch        

Very much depends where you live and the quality of the infrastructure, plus the amount of traffic.

We have TOT Fibre 2U 200/100 (Bht900) here in Hat Yai speeds are plenty enough for my needs but you can see what you lose connecting internationally and then using a VPN.

8427187193.png

That's the local connection to Bangkok (Ookla)

ifvcqE_FH.aMRHSIjfe.png

Connection to Singapore (Testmy.net)

BIzyt8Hz8.vYRIOewiV.png

Connection to Singapore via NordVPN (Testmy)

That's from the laptop via the Wifi not a LAN connection, results improve with a LAN connection.

Why are so many people using VPNs ? Is it to get around geo-blocking, watch home country TV etc ?

Thailands connections to the outside world are not that great sometimes, why add a VPN to the equation unless its absolutely nessisary.?

I dont know why people have so much trouble understanding their internet speed. You pay for a connection of a certain speed, if there is no speed restriction or traffic between you and the source/destination, thats the speed you will get, if the cable between turkey and france is full, you are sharing it with others and your speed will be slowed. If the server at the other end is uploading at 10 Mbps, that is the top speed for that data/download.  Its the same as a car, it will do 150 kph on a road with no traffic or speed limits, otherwise you are stuck in traffic or subject to the speed limit of the road. Its like going to the car dealer and asking why you can only go 30 kph in Bangkok, when your car can go 130 kph.

I was downloading a torrent last night from south america and it was downloading at 50 Mbps (my package speed), so obviously a clear route to south america and the server was sending at 50 Mbps. I am watching a torrent this morning from Singapore and its downloading at 100 kBps, so there is either a lot of traffic on the Thai singapore route or (as I suspect) the singapore server is only sending at 100 kBps. Neither has much to do with the speed I pay for with TOT (except the maximum).

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

I dont know why people have so much trouble understanding their internet speed.

Internet speed is sold around people not really understanding what they need or how it works. Eventually everyone will catch up and the 'super fast' sales pitches will be less effective.

People should consider how much demand is placed on their home internet before paying for premium services.

Internet speed testing should be added to the 'need for perfection' list in OCD documents. 

Reboot your router weekly, make sure your WiFi channel isn't being used by other routers near you, do 3 or 4 speedtests in a row to get a more accurate average, also at different times throughout the day, choose a server on the same network as you (CAT) and as near as possible. Traceroute to find any bottlenecks to your destination ping. Use 5G if your device and router support it. A cheap device (lower end Android phone) will likely not have the specs to do substantial WiFi speeds. My iPads consistently outperform my A series (second to best spec) Samsungs.

how are you connected to vpn: on a router, if so what router? Routers cannot manage OpenVPN cipher decryption with any degree of efficiency. You need a router with a good processor and hardware acceleration. Only a few home router can provide this.

If the iptv server is in the USA and many are, connecting to a HK server is your best bet, avoid singapore.

On 7/18/2019 at 2:08 AM, bahtboy said:

Using the link to testmy.net provided by oporhatch in his OP I have just done a speed test and the results were 15.2 mbps down and 4.1 mbps up. I then did another test with speedtest.net (Ookla) and got 36.33 down and 11.92 up. So why the discrepancy? I am with TOT on a vdsl of 30/10. Can someone please explain?

try this one;

http://speedtest.adslthailand.com

On 7/17/2019 at 1:37 PM, ezzra said:

Not sure where you are, but i get 150+ ( i'm paying for 200) mgb with AIS 5th generation fiber and so far so good no complaints, cost 750 b. month,

for people who uses internet often it's worth it..

Sorry, not trying to go off topic. I'm with TOT/AIS for the last 15 years and I'm still on 150 Mbps Fiber for 150 Mbps down, and 50 Mbps upload. 

It looks like I've got to go to their office and knock on the table!

What I dislike is how they treat their old customers. They can't just upgrade you, you have to go to them and complain.

But switching to CAT wouldn't be wise. I pay the same amount. 

I've tried the link and got some weird speeds. The London server slowed my Nord VPN down like hell. 

Internet speed VPN London.png

Internet speed without VPN.png

9 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Sorry, not trying to go off topic. I'm with TOT/AIS for the last 15 years and I'm still on 150 Mbps Fiber for 150 Mbps down, and 50 Mbps upload. 

What I dislike is how they treat their old customers. They can't just upgrade you, you have to go to them and complain.

But switching to CAT wouldn't be wise. I pay the same amount. 

I've tried the link and got some weird speeds. The London server slowed my Nord VPN down like hell. 

Internet speed VPN London.png

Internet speed without VPN.png

Why not switch to 3bb?

22 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I dont know why people have so much trouble understanding their internet speed. You pay for a connection of a certain speed, if there is no speed restriction or traffic between you and the source/destination, thats the speed you will get, if the cable between turkey and france is full, you are sharing it with others and your speed will be slowed.

That covers how it works within Thailand but once you leave the LOS it becomes a very different matter. Thai ISPs impose speed limits on international traffic to reduce costs. So even if the cable between Thailand and (say) the USA is empty, your bits of data may still be throttled.

For example: I get 250Mbps within Thailand consistently but I am lucky to get 10% of that outside of Thailand. And to some places at some times of day I am lucky to get 1% of it. It's all due to traffic shaping and throttling.

22 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Why are so many people using VPNs ? Is it to get around geo-blocking, watch home country TV etc ?

Thailands connections to the outside world are not that great sometimes, why add a VPN to the equation unless its absolutely nessisary.?

I use a VPN to access geo-locked servers sometimes, but I can often get significantly better bandwidth to non geo-locked servers in (say) the UK by using a VPN to Singapore as the peering arrangements between Thailand and Singapore are pretty good.

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

That covers how it works within Thailand but once you leave the LOS it becomes a very different matter. Thai ISPs impose speed limits on international traffic to reduce costs. So even if the cable between Thailand and (say) the USA is empty, your bits of data may still be throttled.

For example: I get 250Mbps within Thailand consistently but I am lucky to get 10% of that outside of Thailand. And to some places at some times of day I am lucky to get 1% of it. It's all due to traffic shaping and throttling.

I get what you are saying but how do they save money ? One person at full speed or one person at half speed still uses the same amount of data, it just takes longer. 

If I have a whole lot of data at one end of a cable and users at the other end, I cant see how slowing the data down will cost less.

I think its more to do with dedicated bandwidth for different traffic, which is all to do with the gateway and the ability to control traffic, ie turn off facebook when there is a coup etc. 

Have a look at this easy to follow (lol) map of the gateway, you can see that there are dedicated bandwith for facebook etc for each ISP and to each country. Each type of traffic has dedicated bandwidth per ISP.

http://internet.nectec.or.th/webstats/show_page.php?py0HA8wH8+a7AIaRsDo/prnHnBJzfoE5torm+SGClYgtIvnFfL3IdzOJfMVZO5zr3LRTcgpVLUIe+KO/pRDLICwmSumM5BHH4dRIOGTHUTePGmso2VazjsJ82Hj/aDyb

As you can see, if you are with 3bb and going to dropbox, its a dedicated 10G link for that traffic, 100 people all uploadin a big file and it will slow, VPN to SG then go to dropbox, and your data is going on a different path, not as congested.

image.png.ce1c570029f7a2fdffcefbcde07e5df1.png

I was contemplating upgrading for more Mbps -  however I am of a similar thought , would it make any difference if the gateway out into the world from Thailand is the slow down or ISP throttling

yesterday I witnessed a reduction in mbps of 30% to 90mbps between 18:30 and 21:00  (which I know is peak time )

However at this point my IPTV services started to Buffer.....did not do a testmy.net test -  however the 30% reduction and busy time probably caused the buffering.  I noticed after about 21:30 my internal internet speed increased by 15% more than I subscribe for, which was probably to balance the speed allocation out to reach near my subscribed value .

I use CAT  and believe the only other provider around here is TOT.

Questions :-   should I upgrade the subscription .......50 bhat to go from 150 to 250 -   however if throttling and the gateway are issues  =  what effect would that have.

Are there better ISP out there which do not have the issues that I believe take place above

regards 

10 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

I use the TOT eService website last time I upgraded, though looking at it now there's no longer an option to change your package from within the eService website, you have to do it from the main Fiber 2U screen and select 'Upspeed'.

Curiously the package we're on 200/100 for Bht900 is shown as being Bht1,200 on the website link from 'Upspeed', but checking the lastest promo I see the prices are very different. I need to give them a call and change my package, again. Can drop back to Bht700 and get 200/200.

table_top-speed.png

10 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I get what you are saying but how do they save money ? One person at full speed or one person at half speed still uses the same amount of data, it just takes longer. 

If I have a whole lot of data at one end of a cable and users at the other end, I cant see how slowing the data down will cost less.

They pay for a set amount of international bandwidth and they dont want to pay more. If there are many users then the only way to serve them all is to throttle the individual bandwidth for each. So that's what they do.

As you point out, they can also throttle particular services and particular ports, and they can also shape the traffic in all sorts of other ways.

The ISPs that work that way usually offer more expensive packages that are throttled/shaped less for international use. So the end user can just pay more and get better international connectivity if he wants.

"Up to you", as they say.

10 hours ago, oporhatch said:

if the gateway out into the world from Thailand is the slow down or ISP throttling

yesterday I witnessed a reduction in mbps of 30% to 90mbps between 18:30 and 21:00  (which I know is peak time )

However at this point my IPTV services started to Buffer.....did not do a testmy.net test -  however the 30% reduction and busy time probably caused the buffering. 

Surely that 90mbps speed test must be to a server within Thailand? 90mbps is more than enough for any IPTV streaming service that I have ever heard of so you should not be having any buffering issues with that much bandwidth, unless the IPTV server is outside Thailand in which case you should do a speed test to that country to see what you are really getting internationally.

Yes....the services are based on USA and Canada....which I understand could be the issue.  I am currently looking at 

other IPTV services (nearer to thailand ) and will be testing them out over the next couple of weeks

regards 

Archived