BANGKOK 18 August 2019 22:05
tomster

Non 0 Single entry based on Thai Child From Phnom Penh

Has anybody done one of these recently:

http://www.thaiembassy.org/phnompenh/en/services/7962/86346-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O"-(Thai-Family).html

I just called them and asked if it was OK for a friend to apply for me (I would rather not have to travel to PP and wait for the visa), the guys English was a bit limited but he said yes, no need to come in person.

He then said I should have $1000 / 30,000 THB in a Thai bank which caught me a bit off guard, it's not on the website... And that I also need the Tambien Baan from the mother of my son, also not on the website...!

Is there anything else not on the website that could be asked for when the application is made, from experience?

Thanks in advance.

1 minute ago, fishtank said:

Are you actually in Thailand?

No, in Siem Reap currently.

11 minutes ago, tomster said:

No, in Siem Reap currently.

Ok. That takes care of my comment.

It is a standard requirement to show the equivalent 20k baht to apply for a visa at many embassies and consulate. The $1000 is a Phnom Penh requirement (same to get a tourist visa).

It is normal for a embassy or consulate to want copy of your child's house book registry. Perhaps they assume they are shown in the same house book as the mother.

Even a tourist visa is hard to get in Phnom Penh. I do not suggest going there for any visa.

Hi. 

I applied for this visa in pp in February of this year.

I needed originals of birth cert and showed evidence of cash though my UK bank account. I seem to remember I also had translation of my UK passport to show my name corresponded with the Thai translation on the certificate.

Yes you need child's name on tabian baan.

They also asked for flight details for me.

I wasn't asked for the $1k thing, but I could have offered that, but guess that because my UK funds were adequate, that was enough.

They were rude and unhelpful, but did the whole thing within 24 hours without hassling me further.

15 minutes ago, sureno said:

Hi. 

I applied for this visa in pp in February of this year.

I needed originals of birth cert and showed evidence of cash though my UK bank account. I seem to remember I also had translation of my UK passport to show my name corresponded with the Thai translation on the certificate.

Yes you need child's name on tabian baan.

They also asked for flight details for me.

I wasn't asked for the $1k thing, but I could have offered that, but guess that because my UK funds were adequate, that was enough.

They were rude and unhelpful, but did the whole thing within 24 hours without hassling me further.

Wow.

They actually asked for the orginal of the birth certificate and a translated copy of your passport? Or did you have them with you and you offered them?

They wanted to see flights booked in and out I guess?

4 hours ago, tomster said:

Wow.

They actually asked for the orginal of the birth certificate and a translated copy of your passport? Or did you have them with you and you offered them?

They wanted to see flights booked in and out I guess?

Why do you sound surprised? 

You want apply based on being the father or mother of a Thai child.  I would have thought producing an original birth certificate would be perfectly reasonable. 

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Why do you sound surprised? 

You want apply based on being the father or mother of a Thai child.  I would have thought producing an original birth certificate would be perfectly reasonable. 

Nothing unreasonable about wanting to see the original version of the birth certifcate - just a bit unreasonable saying on the website that a copy will be fine:

"4.      Copy of Marriage Certificate, and Passport and Identity Card of the Applicant’s Thai spouse (Copies of documents must be signed by the Thai Spouse)  or Copy of Birth Certificate of Applicant's Thai Child"

Also nothing unreasonable about asking for a translated copy of a UK Passport apart from on the website it says that is also not required:

"Documents in languages other than Thai or English have to be translated into either Thai or English and notarised by notary organs or relevant diplomatic/consular missions. "

And nothing unreasonable about asking for flights out of the country but again not so reasonable to leave this little fact off the website.

So the very hepful post by @sureno has just saved me a massive load of travelling, stress and money that without him taking 2 minutes of his time to post, I would otherwise have endured.

Hence my Wow comment, and my surprise. 🙂

Edited by tomster

On 7/17/2019 at 2:21 PM, ubonjoe said:

It is a standard requirement to show the equivalent 20k baht to apply for a visa at many embassies and consulate. The $1000 is a Phnom Penh requirement (same to get a tourist visa).

It is normal for a embassy or consulate to want copy of your child's house book registry. Perhaps they assume they are shown in the same house book as the mother.

Even a tourist visa is hard to get in Phnom Penh. I do not suggest going there for any visa.

@ubonjoe

I'm currently in Siem Reap as I posted above. What are the nearby options other than PP that will issue a Non O SE based on Thai child?

TIA.

32 minutes ago, tomster said:

I'm currently in Siem Reap as I posted above. What are the nearby options other than PP that will issue a Non O SE based on Thai child?

The embassy in Vientiane or the consulate Savannakhet Laos.

Penang with 200k baht in the bank.

How about Siagon:

http://www.thaiembassy.org/hochiminh/en/services/2886/46902-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O"---Accompanying-Th.html

Or is that the same as PP - totally ignore what is on the website?

That is the only city near here with a Thai embassy or consulate that I can fly direct to from Siem Reap as far as I can see, maybe KL also.

5 minutes ago, tomster said:

How about Siagon:

That would be OK.

KL would want to see 400k baht in the bank to get one.

You asked about nearby locations so I mentioned 2 of them. It is possible to travel overland to them from Siem Reap.

@ubonjoe

Just looking for an excuse for a couple of days filled with pho, beer saigon and bida halls... 🙂

As always - many thanks for your help. 🙏

On 7/19/2019 at 8:33 AM, ubonjoe said:

Penang with 200k baht in the bank.

They wanted to see 400K in my bank from me in Penang last month. Same visa based on Thai child.

• Like 1