Open mouth food chewing: what's the deal?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, soistalker said:

I can't eat out in restaurants anymore as everyone is chewing their food with their mouths open. Walking down the street it is even worse. Is this not considered rude in Thailand?

Yes, expats are really uncouth. Better to eat in a Thai restaurant.

Have observed Thais slurping, smacking, and literally shoveling as much food as possible into their mouths at one time...

This does not keep me from eating out...I find it quite amusing once you get over the initial shock...????

20 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I'm feeling left out here cause It has no effect on me. Haven't really paid it much attention.

I agree. Who cares how the people on the neighbor tables eat?

What I find annoying are all those people who wave around with their phones in their hands to take picture of themselves eating something. It looks stupid but it seems most of them don't register that fact.

From time to time if I see them like that I take out my phone and wave it around and I grin like a maniac and say click, click, click. Most of the time they look a little strange but then they get the message.

Mrs is enthralled each night, watching her heroes on youtube; many vying to out eat each other.

All trying to shove as much pla ra, or raw beef or other into their gobs!

A closed mouth gets in the way

my earliest memory of open mouth eaters was in malaysia; where the oldies all get about, with betel nut fragments flayling about between chews

I've lived here for almost 15 yrs., eat out at least once a day, and I've never noticed anyone eating with their mouth open or walking down the street eating with their mouth open. Then again, I'm not looking for it either. Who are you, the open-mouth food eater monitor?

1 minute ago, gjoo888 said:

I've lived here for almost 15 yrs., eat out at least once a day, and I've never noticed anyone eating with their mouth open or walking down the street eating with their mouth open. Then again, I'm not looking for it either. Who are you, the open-mouth food eater monitor?

This reflects my experience too. Thais are taught in school not to eat with their mouth open. They have lengthy lessons on behaviour, how to sit, how to stand, how to eat, etc. And for the most part, they don't eat with their mouth open.

Could it be Chinese tourists?

3 minutes ago, gjoo888 said:

Try looking around.. It's very common.

I came to the conclusion a long time ago, the chewing with the mouth open, was to suck in as much air as possible while eating food laced with chili. It helps to cool the tongue, you know.????

2 hours ago, gjoo888 said:

Who are you, the open-mouth food eater monitor?

No, I am not. Who I am is someone who was raised by parents who required proper table manners. This meant not chewing with our mouths open, not making sounds whilst eating or drinking, not ripping food apart with hands like a caveman, and certainly no noises from burping or flatulence. These necessities I taught to my children. If your parents did not instill these table manners in you, and you dont care if others eat like pigs or dogs, then that is you and your experience. 

At to those who deny that this is a widespread thing, you are either liars or have poor eyesight.

17 minutes ago, soistalker said:

No, I am not. Who I am is someone who was raised by parents who required proper table manners. This meant not chewing with our mouths open, not making sounds whilst eating or drinking, not ripping food apart with hands like a caveman, and certainly no noises from burping or flatulence. These necessities I taught to my children. If your parents did not instill these table manners in you, and you dont care if others eat like pigs or dogs, then that is you and your experience. 

At to those who deny that this is a widespread thing, you are either liars or have poor eyesight.

Totally agree with you, trying to teach my daughter table manners and at almost 5 she is getting there.

Oh and the wife is getting alot better using a knife and fork 555

3 hours ago, henry15 said:

Its typical for Isaan People with low education.

in 12 years of school and through 2 academic degrees I've never had nor heard of closed mouth chewing classes. I did however hear of different cultures in different places. I know that a simple hand gesture in one place can mean something peaceful and in another that same gesture means something very offensive. There is no such thing as "better" or "worse" culture - just different. You chose to live in a country with different culture that you are used to, not lower than yours

Seems pretty common throughout Thailand. Very common with Chinese people too. I don't believe they are taught that it is rude to do so, so they just do it. My wife's sister takes it to another level and it's rather disgusting but oh well. Just join in and do it too. It's kind of funny when you do because they look at you kind of strange for doing exactly what they are doing.

Thai children are raised with zero discipline for the most part. Keeping their mouth shut in class, obeying rules of the road, things like that are not important in Thai society. Kids can do or say whatever they want, whenever they want. Spankings are unheard of. They grow up into adults with the same mentality and are generally a “me first” attitude. At least that has been my observations over the past seven years.

Thais learning to wai at every opportunity and saying na krab at the end of every sentence is their concession to politeness. Driving the wrong way on a street because going to the next U turn is too much trouble or pushing someone out of the way when they want to change lanes is quite acceptable. I seriously doubt most kids raised in Thailand have ever been taught how to eat politely in front of others. In fact I doubt Thai parents teach their kids by way of discipline ANYTHING.

1 hour ago, soistalker said:

You say your parents taught you proper table manners. Why are showing bad manners by looking around the restaurant at other people and ignoring the friends, family at your own table. I’d say your the one who requires some re-education in table manners. 

12 minutes ago, Kurtf said:

Thai children are raised with zero discipline for the most part. Keeping their mouth shut in class, obeying rules of the road, things like that are not important in Thai society. Kids can do or say whatever they want, whenever they want. Spankings are unheard of. They grow up into adults with the same mentality and are generally a “me first” attitude. At least that has been my observations over the past seven years.

Thais learning to wai at every opportunity and saying na krab at the end of every sentence is their concession to politeness. Driving the wrong way on a street because going to the next U turn is too much trouble or pushing someone out of the way when they want to change lanes is quite acceptable. I seriously doubt most kids raised in Thailand have ever been taught how to eat politely in front of others. In fact I doubt Thai parents teach their kids by way of discipline ANYTHING.

With all these, what made you stick in Thailand for 7 years? Where do you originate from and is that place worse than this?

5 minutes ago, ravip said:

Never noticed any open mouthed, smacking eating. But half dressed sweaty people in restaurants and other public places are disgusting and are seen frequently.

Yes and it’s usually the grumpy old expats ???? 

Archived