Open mouth food chewing: what's the deal?

1 hour ago, joebrown said:

IMO most Thais eat with their mouths open. But as TIT most Thais cover their mouths whilst using a toothpick. How strange!

Well they use a tissue, using a toothpick, or hand, to cover their face because of the risk of pinging bits of grub across the table into someone's eye.

I've been banned from restaurants for this awful trait.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There has been a lot of people mention low class etc.  As an Aussie this is a little beyond me.  Can someone please explain what this means and how it compares to the other terms I've heard.... Middle class and presumably there is a high class as well. 

Are there any high class farang in Thailand and if so... Why.  Are you all  Hooray Henry's?  

Perhaps I should start a separate thread on this because there seems to be a lot of pretentious Wally's on this forum. 

Chewing with your mouth open..... So what!! 

13 hours ago, Briggsy said:

This reflects my experience too. Thais are taught in school not to eat with their mouth open. They have lengthy lessons on behaviour, how to sit, how to stand, how to eat, etc. And for the most part, they don't eat with their mouth open.

Could it be Chinese tourists?

There is a visible difference between Thais and Chinese. I do hope no-one has 'they all look the same to me' syndrome.

Yes, both nationalities eat with their mouths open.

So what? If you want western table manners you know where to find them. Eventually the realisation will hit home that an entire nation isn't going to change to suit you. I understand it's a long road and you'll never see the end of it. Tough testicles.

Not aimed at you Briggsy, I was just commenting on your Chinese bit. Aimed at soistalker who appears to have anger management problems.

1 minute ago, Traubert said:

There is a visible difference between Thais and Chinese. I do hope no-one has 'they all look the same to me' syndrome.

Yes, both nationalities eat with their mouths open.

So what? If you want western table manners you know where to find them. Eventually the realisation will hit home that an entire nation isn't going to change to suit you. I understand it's a long road and you'll never see the end of it. Tough testicles.

Not aimed at you Briggsy, I was just commenting on your Chinese bit. Aimed at soistalker who appears to have anger management problems.

There is a huge difference between any of the SEA people amongst themselves as well as the Chinese. 

The Myanmar people are no great fans generally speaking.

The elite Myanmar people are unfortunately but that seems to be changing.  I think they may have woken up to the potential debt trap.  A few Chinese proposals have been knocked back recently. 

I was once informed during a dinner in Texas, that I had my knife and fork in the wrong hands.

I pointed out which side of the plate they were when the table was laid. My apologee said 'he's doing it the European way,' I replied 'I'm doing it the right way, we were using cutlery when you were eating chunks of buffalo hacked off with tomahawks. By the way, it's a fork, not a shovel.'

Silence ensued.

Everywhere is different in etiquette.

1 hour ago, emptypockets said:

Quite.  Where I live in Isaan I can honestly say I've never seen a Thai eat beef. 

Fully agree, none of my wife’s family or our Thai friends eat beef. 

I worked part time as a waiter with a Thai and a couple of Lebanese brothers back in the mid 70s. (in USA)

On breaks we would all tell our "weird culture "stories .

The Thai guy had everyone rolling on the floor when he told us about the fights that would break out in "Thai" restaurants regularly because Thais take it as an insult to be stared at while they are eating . He said that all it took was a glance and the place would turn into a western saloon fight.( Including a well dressed little kid biting him on his leg) He admired the fact that US restaurant patrons were so well behaved.

I've been travelling (off and on) to Thailand since 1995 and with that in mind I can honestly say that in 24 years I have never sat and watched a Thai eat food. Even at private dinners in the homes of Thai friends with their families.

In a restaurant I am mainly keeping an eye on my own food to avoid biting into any extra winged or crawling protein that was not listed on the menu.

1 minute ago, Mitkof Island said:

Love the Thai bashing. What bar stool do you live under?

just stating a fact, try reading what the post is titled and what its about before you try to be smart , cos your just making yourself look even dummer.

2 hours ago, Seth1a2a said:

I worked part time as a waiter with a Thai and a couple of Lebanese brothers back in the mid 70s. (in USA)

On breaks we would all tell our "weird culture "stories .

The Thai guy had everyone rolling on the floor when he told us about the fights that would break out in "Thai" restaurants regularly because Thais take it as an insult to be stared at while they are eating . He said that all it took was a glance and the place would turn into a western saloon fight.( Including a well dressed little kid biting him on his leg) He admired the fact that US restaurant patrons were so well behaved.

I've been travelling (off and on) to Thailand since 1995 and with that in mind I can honestly say that in 24 years I have never sat and watched a Thai eat food. Even at private dinners in the homes of Thai friends with their families.

In a restaurant I am mainly keeping an eye on my own food to avoid biting into any extra winged or crawling protein that was not listed on the menu.

Absolutely!

Professor Pigeon's research suggests that in Thailand it is polite to look at a ladies mouth when she is talking and look into her eyes when you are talking. If she is eating at the same time as she is talking then keep looking just the same. If you are keen on success with the ladies in Thailand you must keep this in mind.

The French use a knife and fork for eating everything; hamburgers, prawns, celery; just everything. 

Have you ever heard the expression "water off a ducks back"? Why are you so upset about what other people are doing? Have you asked yourself this question? Who cares? Why is this affecting both your happiness and your lifestyle? People are constantly saying and doing things that are completely beyond my ability to grasp and understand. So what? It means nothing. 

Firstly, I don't care what others next to my table do neither would that stop me visiting restaurants.
Chewing with open mouth mostly sign of low class or bad education or both.

Besides that what I really hate when people sit cross legged in proper restaurants like they would be eating at home on the floor or elsewhere. Bringing up all the dirt from the floor where other people sit or touch with their hands.

Again, not my table I don't care.

But when those people doing this while eating with me at the same table I will tell them about their inappropriate behaviour.

58 minutes ago, CLW said:

Firstly, I don't care what others next to my table do neither would that stop me visiting restaurants.
Chewing with open mouth mostly sign of low class or bad education or both.

Besides that what I really hate when people sit cross legged in proper restaurants like they would be eating at home on the floor or elsewhere. Bringing up all the dirt from the floor where other people sit or touch with their hands.

Again, not my table I don't care.

But when those people doing this while eating with me at the same table I will tell them about their inappropriate behaviour.

agree 1000000000000000000% with you.

There are some funny buggers on here. "Thais do not eat beef" Struth.

My wife and the rest of the family love it only they eat it marinated, raw.

They think I must be crazy when I cook my share on the BBQ.

Issan folk will eat anything and everything that will not kill them. Well at least in my neck of the woods and generally with their mouth open.

On 7/18/2019 at 4:49 AM, LukKrueng said:

There is no such thing as "better" or "worse" culture - just different. 

Its this kind of nonsense which is creating a world of weak man babies in utter denial that some cultures do in fact exhibit terrible behavior that rightfully deserves to be denounced. 

Some examples.. Female genital mutilation.. Bacha bazi.. Persecution and punishment of people of different sexualities.. Rape culture.. Slavery.. etc etc etc..

• 1 month later...
On 7/18/2019 at 11:34 AM, ravip said:

With all these, what made you stick in Thailand for 7 years? Where do you originate from and is that place worse than this?

I made the mistake of building a home on land my wife owns and I am finding it almost impossible to sell it. I originate from the USA and it is by no means perfect. That being said though, discipline is still applied in most homes there and proper driving etiquette is taught in most high schools. Please someone buy my house on one rai in Mae Thang and I’d be on the next plane back. Fully furnished 7,500,000 Baht.

On 7/18/2019 at 8:43 AM, Briggsy said:

This reflects my experience too. Thais are taught in school not to eat with their mouth open. They have lengthy lessons on behaviour, how to sit, how to stand, how to eat, etc. And for the most part, they don't eat with their mouth open.

Could it be Chinese tourists?

it didn't take long to start Chinese bashing again

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 6:27 AM, White Christmas13 said:

it didn't take long to start Chinese bashing again

You may view my stating that Chinese table manners are poor as "Chinese bashing". However I stand by my statement that Chinese table manners are poor by Western standards. In fact, I first noticed this 32 years ago at university with the Hong Kong students and nothing in the intervening period has changed my mind. 

On 7/25/2019 at 3:30 AM, LivinLOS said:

Its this kind of nonsense which is creating a world of weak man babies in utter denial that some cultures do in fact exhibit terrible behavior that rightfully deserves to be denounced. 

Some examples.. Female genital mutilation.. Bacha bazi.. Persecution and punishment of people of different sexualities.. Rape culture.. Slavery.. etc etc etc..

Yeah sure ...a head hunting culture or a Muslim culture that hacks off womens genitals is superior to a culture that gave us Madam Curie,  Beethoven,  democracy,  Shakespeare.  Such a view, post modernist subjectivity is corrosive rubbish. To believe such views is to be a victim.

15 hours ago, Briggsy said:

You may view my stating that Chinese table manners are poor as "Chinese bashing". However I stand by my statement that Chinese table manners are poor by Western standards. In fact, I first noticed this 32 years ago at university with the Hong Kong students and nothing in the intervening period has changed my mind. 

I never had much interaction with Chinese people before coming to Thailand and my impression of them on average is that they are LOUD and rude.

On 7/20/2019 at 1:19 PM, sherwood said:

Issan folk will eat anything and everything that will not kill them. Well at least in my neck of the woods and generally with their mouth open.

Thanks, that definitely needs qualifying.   Fact is Issan folk can be as varied as the world's general population.

This claim "Issan folk will eat anything and everything that will not kill them" brought a big laugh from the Mrs. with the statement that that must be a silly man to say  such a thing.

Archived