PM expresses Concern about Drought Situation

webfact

PM expresses Concern about Drought Situation

629bda74b08dad441f31b912837a521b.jpg

BANGKOK, 17 July 2019 (NNT) - The Prime Minister has instructed relevant agencies to follow up on people’s suffering as a result of the drought problem and called on citizens to use water sparingly.

Deputy Spokesperson of the Office of the Prime Minister, Lt. Gen. Werachon Sukondhapatipak disclosed today that Prime Minister Gen. Prayut Chan-o-cha has been closely monitoring the drought situation because there is a lack of rain in some areas and people and farmers don’t have enough water for farming and consumption.

The Prime Minister has instructed the Ministry of the Interior, the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives and other related agencies to work with government officials and volunteers to follow up on the difficulties being faced by people and provide assistance to them in each area.

The officials have been instructed to inspect and urgently solve the problems in provinces that have been declared an Emergency Assistance Drought-affected Zone. The provincial governors have been ordered to accelerate proactive work in provinces where there is a growing water shortage.

The Prime Minister has also called on farmers to follow the instructions of officials on storing water for their own use. Those who have not started farming are asked to postpone doing so until it rains again. It is expected that it will rain again after September. The PM has instructed the agencies responsible for water management in reservoirs, water pumping and water distribution to allocate water to the public and continually create awareness of the regulations that members of the public and farmers should follow.

nnt.jpg

The problem is that the farmers will have lost a whole cropping season, if it rains after September. It will only help for the farmers with government irrigation systems. For some it is 1 year without income. In our area the corn is planted but need rain within a week to avoid the need for replanting. At the same time the farmers need to combat the fall army worm. Not a good farming year.

It is also expected that it will rain after today!I hope he is not trying to say it's not going to rain before October!

Sent from my SM-A730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

A drought right slap bang in the middle of the rainy season?! 

It never ceases to amaze me how a country with the same two recurring problems, drought and flooding, can't come up with a solution to these isses. Is there no way for them to catch and hold rain water when it rains and release it during dry spells? I'm talking about on the lower/local level. 

We are doing okay here in Wichianburi [Phetchabun province over 500ml for the year,but it has been sporadic,several very hot dry days followed by large downpours,however the fields behind my house have been planted and are a beautiful emerald green. Just i have noticed for the wet season unusually hot days.

19 hours ago, webfact said:

Those who have not started farming are asked to postpone doing so until it rains again. It is expected that it will rain again after September.

Maybe the farmers could have holidays in Pattaya or Phuket? And all will be the best in the best of all worlds !

Farmers have no money? Why? Everybody have money here in Thailand. 

22 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

It is also expected that it will rain after today!I hope he is not trying to say it's not going to rain before October!

I've looked at Accuweather, and no rain is forecast through to the end of August in my area of Kalasin province. There is the usual 'thunderstorms in the area' forecast, but that has meant next to nothing over the past six weeks and means as much over the next six. A couple of days of showers are listed, with temperatures forecast to be mostly around 34 degrees throughout the next several weeks.

There is going to be one hell of a problem. It's a ticking time bomb. I'm kind of hoping that Thailand has to dig into its massive foreign reserves to buy rice in, and that might weaken the Baht. Selfish of me I know, when farmers could be starving.

8 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I've looked at Accuweather, and no rain is forecast through to the end of August in my area of Kalasin province. There is the usual 'thunderstorms in the area' forecast, but that has meant next to nothing over the past six weeks and means as much over the next six. A couple of days of showers are listed, with temperatures forecast to be mostly around 34 degrees throughout the next several weeks.

There is going to be one hell of a problem. It's a ticking time bomb. I'm kind of hoping that Thailand has to dig into its massive foreign reserves to buy rice in, and that might weaken the Baht. Selfish of me I know, when farmers could be starving.

Accuweather forecast, for my area,a 43% chance of rain at 5pm yesterday.

It p!ssed down for 3 hours from 4pm !

6 hours ago, carabaothai said:

Maybe the farmers could have holidays in Pattaya or Phuket? And all will be the best in the best of all worlds !

Farmers have no money? Why? Everybody have money here in Thailand. 

The farmers, already have Holidays in Pattaya , Phuket, and any other place that they think its possible to earn or scam money from doing Building work Etc.

Why do you think all the building work is such a poor standard ?

Its not because these people are trained, its because they are not.

My Daughters Home Room Teacher even has a Prawn Farm as an extra income

Archived