BANGKOK

About a year ago I had a few days upon waking and sitting up I felt extremely dizzy and a little nauseous resulting in me laying back down and sleeping a little more.

I went to the hospital and they prescribed some medication, after a couple of days it disappeared.

Now I have similar symptoms only I seem to be getting this during the day time, for example, today I was working on a little diy project which involved kneeling down and looking up under a table.

I immediately felt dizzy, sick, a cold sweat, nausea and my gf said I looked as white as a sheet.

Last time I posted about this some posters suggested some head movement exercises and I tried them thinking they helped but this time no luck .

Is this vertigo ??

Any suggestions for a cure or relief ??

TIA

Andy

As this is all to do with head position it may be BPPV.......crystals in the inner ear shifting to the wrong place and disturbing the balance sensor hair cells.
I have had periods of this and I then avoid lying flat, always keep my head raised a bit when asleep or doing yoga.

There is something very successful ........85%ish if I remember.........called the Epley Manoeuvre. I would prefer that to meds, and it can even be self administered.

You may as well look these up on Youtube as me describe them. Good luck.

Thanks, yes I went to see the doctor just now and he said BPPV, gave me some medication.

I did do the Epley Manoeuvre before and it seemed to help but may have been the medication.

It may well be BPPV but should see a doctor first to rule out more serious cause like cardiac arrythmia or high blood pressure.

BPPV is very common in older people. Avoiding sudden head movements (or whatever movements eeem to trihger it) helps. So foes fixing your gaze on a fixed point straigjt ahead when feelung dizzy.

If prolonged or very frequent then Epley manuever.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thanks Sheryl, as above, I went to the doctor and he confirmed it as BPPV.

I will persevere with the Epley Manoeuvre.

I Have BPPV(Vertigo)

This cured it. Sometimes I have to repeat it.

• Like 1

Thanks to those who have recommended the Epley Manoeuvre, I will take the advice on board.

There is a similar exercise by Dr. Carol Fisher from Colorado that works for me. What I like about her is that she explains what happens to the crystal in your ear with each movement you make. Just google her name.

• Like 2

Scary when this happens.

You can do the half somerault by carol foster. It worked very well for me.

If it is bppv you can check. The check is stated in the online advice. Be careful to have good support when you check, (and when you do the exercise) it can spin you wildly the first time or two

You must find out which ear it is.

The check will tell you.

Read the advice on how to sleep, if i remember with head raised and do not sleep on side that has the ear problem.

Do it for 5 days or so.

Do the exercise when you need to but should not need too often. A couple of times a day was enough for me over a week or two.

Dont repeat it too quickly, you should not need to.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Have you considered low blood pressure? The whitening your partner observed suggest something along that thought train. It could be a combination of BPPV and low blood pressure.

Edited by AlQaholic

Have you considered low blood pressure? The whitening your partner observed suggest something along that thought train. It could be a combination of BPPV and low blood pressure.

I visited the hospital yesterday and my blood pressure was okay, didn’t see the actual result but they did check it twice.

It’s almost exactly a year ago since my last “ episode “ and I seem to remember it was mainly when I woke up in a morning then.
But, my gf did state that I went “ white “ then also.

Posted (edited)

Just to throw this out there for others with similar symptoms, I have had a few bouts of dizziness which pretty much kept me confined to bed for several days at a stretch that I believe were caused by food allergies or toxins in seafood. The first time, which was the most severe, was after eating mussels. Several other milder bouts came after eating those small orange dried shrimps. I also got suspicious that some bad Hellmann's mayonnaise might have been the cause of another episode. Basically, I haven't experienced any problem since I started avoiding those shellfish, and got rid of the jar of suspect mayonnaise. I had no history of vertigo prior to these episodes. I do feel for the OP as vertigo is such an awful feeling.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1