Jump to content
BANGKOK
bender92

What part of Bangkok would be good for cycling and walking? Light traffic.

Recommended Posts

Bangkok is not suitable for cycling....it's very very dangerous...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Used to do a lot of walking in Soi Cowboy, now that I have become an "elderly", I am cycling up and down the Soi to attract more attention.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can go for a really long walk along Saen Saep canal. Go up one of the sois from Sukhumvit road, eg soi 55 from Thong Lo BTS, and head east. Interesting around Muslim area past Ramkamhaeng airport link station, people cross canal on small boats attached to cable powered by a man on a bicycle. If you go far enough you can get to the aeroplane graveyard.

 

Also walk along Phra Kanong canal, quite pretty. Start from On Nut BTS, walk north to On Nut road, east along On Nut road and north up one of the sois, think 17 or 19, explore.

 

Google maps and Maps ME show some of the parts of the canals with walking paths.

 

Do have to watch out for the odd motorbike, especially at peak commuting times.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lumpini Park, Queen Sirkit Park, Benjasiri Park 🙂

I wouldnt take my chances walking/jogging/cycling anywhere else 🙂

Not to mention the pollution (see PMI levels) in certain areas at times of the year.

https://aqicn.org/city/bangkok


Find a large park near you and be safe.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't there a long bike track that circumnavigates the BKK Airport? Several miles I believe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you walk to the end of Suk. soi 10, there is a footbridge that takes you into Sirikit Park area but you can also follow the path through the old tabacco monopoly area all the way down to the end of Suk soi-4.

Best walking and cycling is Bang Krachao...Go to Bearing BTS, short ride from there to ferry pier that crosses to Bang Krachao.  Very busy on weekends as there is also a very popular market there.

https://migrationology.com/bang-krachao-bangkok-bike-tour/

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

King Rama IX Park for running/walking, cleanest park in BKK probably.

 

Sri Nakhon Khuean Khan Park And Botanical Garden and the surrounding "peninsula" for cycling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When in BKK we jog at Lumpini Park,  Wachirabenchathat Park or Benjakiti Park. They have cycling tracks in these parks also. Haven’t tried Queen  Sirkit or Benjasiri Park yet. Would even attempt to cycle or jog on the streets of BKK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dddave said:

If you walk to the end of Suk. soi 10, there is a footbridge that takes you into Sirikit Park area but you can also follow the path through the old tabacco monopoly area all the way down to the end of Suk soi-4.

Best walking and cycling is Bang Krachao...Go to Bearing BTS, short ride from there to ferry pier that crosses to Bang Krachao.  Very busy on weekends as there is also a very popular market there.

https://migrationology.com/bang-krachao-bangkok-bike-tour/

Yrs, I've been to that island, very peaceful.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

You can go for a really long walk along Saen Saep canal. Go up one of the sois from Sukhumvit road, eg soi 55 from Thong Lo BTS, and head east. Interesting around Muslim area past Ramkamhaeng airport link station, people cross canal on small boats attached to cable powered by a man on a bicycle. If you go far enough you can get to the aeroplane graveyard.

 

Also walk along Phra Kanong canal, quite pretty. Start from On Nut BTS, walk north to On Nut road, east along On Nut road and north up one of the sois, think 17 or 19, explore.

 

Google maps and Maps ME show some of the parts of the canals with walking paths.

 

Do have to watch out for the odd motorbike, especially at peak commuting times.

 

 

Thanks I will check that out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Light traffic in Bangkok really.I wouldn’t ride a bicycle anywhere in Thailand.

Even riding a motorcycle chances are you will get hit sooner than later.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Railway Park at Chatujak is lovely...3km cycle track and places to walk. Good early.

 

Rent rickety bikes there for 30 baht a day or take your own. 

 

Cheap, peaceful and pleasant day out with plenty of wildlife esp monitors, butterflies, insects, birdlife etc.

 

I rescued an owl there a few months back.

 

Rooster

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/17/2019 at 6:12 PM, Youlike said:

Bangkok is not suitable for cycling....it's very very dangerous...

 

What a load of rubbish.  There are plenty of places a person can safely go cycling.   

A great place for a bike ride or a walk is written about in this article - https://www.wheresidewalksend.com/prapadaeng-green-lung-bangkok/

Another nice place is Rama 9 Park.

Edited by seancbk
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...