What part of Bangkok would be good for cycling and walking? Light traffic.

bender92

You can go for a really long walk along Saen Saep canal. Go up one of the sois from Sukhumvit road, eg soi 55 from Thong Lo BTS, and head east. Interesting around Muslim area past Ramkamhaeng airport link station, people cross canal on small boats attached to cable powered by a man on a bicycle. If you go far enough you can get to the aeroplane graveyard.

Also walk along Phra Kanong canal, quite pretty. Start from On Nut BTS, walk north to On Nut road, east along On Nut road and north up one of the sois, think 17 or 19, explore.

Google maps and Maps ME show some of the parts of the canals with walking paths.

Do have to watch out for the odd motorbike, especially at peak commuting times.

If you walk to the end of Suk. soi 10, there is a footbridge that takes you into Sirikit Park area but you can also follow the path through the old tabacco monopoly area all the way down to the end of Suk soi-4.

Best walking and cycling is Bang Krachao...Go to Bearing BTS, short ride from there to ferry pier that crosses to Bang Krachao.  Very busy on weekends as there is also a very popular market there.

https://migrationology.com/bang-krachao-bangkok-bike-tour/

When in BKK we jog at Lumpini Park,  Wachirabenchathat Park or Benjakiti Park. They have cycling tracks in these parks also. Haven’t tried Queen  Sirkit or Benjasiri Park yet. Would even attempt to cycle or jog on the streets of BKK

4 hours ago, dddave said:

If you walk to the end of Suk. soi 10, there is a footbridge that takes you into Sirikit Park area but you can also follow the path through the old tabacco monopoly area all the way down to the end of Suk soi-4.

Best walking and cycling is Bang Krachao...Go to Bearing BTS, short ride from there to ferry pier that crosses to Bang Krachao.  Very busy on weekends as there is also a very popular market there.

https://migrationology.com/bang-krachao-bangkok-bike-tour/

Yrs, I've been to that island, very peaceful.

12 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

You can go for a really long walk along Saen Saep canal. Go up one of the sois from Sukhumvit road, eg soi 55 from Thong Lo BTS, and head east. Interesting around Muslim area past Ramkamhaeng airport link station, people cross canal on small boats attached to cable powered by a man on a bicycle. If you go far enough you can get to the aeroplane graveyard.

Also walk along Phra Kanong canal, quite pretty. Start from On Nut BTS, walk north to On Nut road, east along On Nut road and north up one of the sois, think 17 or 19, explore.

Google maps and Maps ME show some of the parts of the canals with walking paths.

Do have to watch out for the odd motorbike, especially at peak commuting times.

Thanks I will check that out.

Railway Park at Chatujak is lovely...3km cycle track and places to walk. Good early.

Rent rickety bikes there for 30 baht a day or take your own. 

Cheap, peaceful and pleasant day out with plenty of wildlife esp monitors, butterflies, insects, birdlife etc.

I rescued an owl there a few months back.

Rooster

On 7/17/2019 at 6:12 PM, Youlike said:

Bangkok is not suitable for cycling....it's very very dangerous...

What a load of rubbish.  There are plenty of places a person can safely go cycling.   

A great place for a bike ride or a walk is written about in this article - https://www.wheresidewalksend.com/prapadaeng-green-lung-bangkok/

Another nice place is Rama 9 Park.

On 7/18/2019 at 4:34 AM, ddye123 said:

Isn't there a long bike track that circumnavigates the BKK Airport? Several miles I believe.

You're thinking of Skylane (alias "Happy and Healthy Bike Lane", see https://www.facebook.com/skylanethailand/), a 23.5 km pristine bicycle path around Suvarnabhumi airport.  It's a wonderful biking "path" if you just want to exercise.  The views are rather monotonous, however, and it's all quite in the open (no shade), so can be hot.  It's free to bike there, but you do need to first register and they give you a "bracelet" to allow you to enter.  Best to Google it and learn more before you go for the first time.  I go there often to train, and appreciate it very much.  BUT... the biggest drawback IMHO is that it's quite difficult to get there by any means other than a car.  Biking there from central BKK means about 25 kms each way, so biking 50 kms (round trip) to Skylane already depletes me enough so that it's tough for me to do more than 1 or 2 rounds of Skylane.  It would be great if the Airlink allowed one to get on with a bicycle, but sadly this isn't the case.

On 7/17/2019 at 2:34 PM, ddye123 said:

Isn't there a long bike track that circumnavigates the BKK Airport? Several miles I believe.

Yes, there is.  It's approximately 23km around.  It is very flat and kind of boring.  No traffic though so that's good.

Just north of the Rama IX Park there is a park called Nong Bon.  You enter on Soi 43.  There is a good cycling, running, and walking track around the park.  One lap is about 4km when the construction is completed.  Right now it's about 3.5 km per lap.  

you can take your bike on the commuter trains, get off at lat krabang (hua takhe station?  not sure, it's been a while!), just outside the airport entrance on lat krabang rd.

or continue on to chachoensao or aranyaprathet if you have time and want to make a weekend of it.

3 hours ago, oceaneyes said:

Catch the airport link to Bann Tap Chang and explore the klongs around here. I live around here and have about 50km or more of paths I run or bike on. 

Are there longtail boats there that you hire to explore the Klongs?  There is one at the Phra Khanong canal that for B20 takes you all the way to Sri Nakarin.  There are a lot of walkways along the canal that provide access to houses there which are fun to explore.

On 7/18/2019 at 7:50 PM, Jane Dough said:

Railway Park at Chatujak is lovely...3km cycle track and places to walk. Good early.

Rent rickety bikes there for 30 baht a day or take your own. 

Cheap, peaceful and pleasant day out with plenty of wildlife esp monitors, butterflies, insects, birdlife etc.

I rescued an owl there a few months back.

Rooster

Sounds really interesting.  How accessible is this from Morchit BTS or the MRT?

Archived