BANGKOK
humdrumdays

Should I continue health insurance or gamble?

I'm mid 60s and have been here for the past 10 years on a retirement extension. I pay about 40k a year for health insurance. In patient cover only and 1m baht cover. So far have only claimed about 100k for a two night stay, nothing serious.

With the current exchange rates I am considering stopping it. But with sod's law as soon as I stop paying something is bound to happen! Any thoughts? thanks

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

For just over 3k per month, I’d keep it just in case, compare being covered to be admitted to a decent private hospital to being stuck in a government hospital ward that you’d still have to pay for anyway..... keep it 

Edited by lemonjelly
  • Like 1

if I was in the op's shoes I'd go for a complete physical and blood work check from top to bottom at the best in Thailand, then I would make the call..

Unless your loaded with money and can weather any long term illness, I would say keep the insurance and follow what Sheryl suggested policy wise.

We all know of at least a couple of examples of youtubers in Thailand who took the insurance-less gamble. Of course there is always GoFundMe🛌

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40k for only 1 mil baht cover seems very expensive?

I'm 50 and looking for insurance, in-patient only, cover for maybe 3-4 mil a year. If anyone knows of a GOOD co that offers this for a fair price pls free to let me know.