BANGKOK

I've heard that the Pig & Whistle has closed. That's a surprise, considering it has been there almost for ever and was the first building on Soi 7 (according to the owner who opened it, when I interviewed him many years ago). I've always eaten there several times, breakfast and dinner, every time I was in Pattaya. Stayed there too more than once.

Anyone know the reason why? Will/has it reopened under new ownership? I did a search here but came up with nothing. Which also surprised me.

The one in Jomtien is still open and doing a roaring trade.

I've heard that the Pig & Whistle has closed. That's a surprise, considering it has been there almost for ever and was the first building on Soi 7 (according to the owner who opened it, when I interviewed him many years ago). I've always eaten there several times, breakfast and dinner, every time I was in Pattaya. Stayed there too more than once.

Anyone know the reason why? Will/has it reopened under new ownership? I did a search here but came up with nothing. Which also surprised me.

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Closed and up for sale.

8 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

according to the owner who opened it, when I interviewed him many years ago)

I knew the original owner fairly well, went to a few parties at his house, nice guy - didn't he pass on some years back, thinking it must be at least 15 years ago?

should have charged 10 baht for the use of a good Western loo, they'd have made a fortune being situated between soi 7 and 8

5 hours ago, CGW said:

I knew the original owner fairly well, went to a few parties at his house, nice guy - didn't he pass on some years back, thinking it must be at least 15 years ago?

I'm embarrassed to say that I don't even remember his name. But he was indeed a nice guy. I was going to write a book about expats running businesses there, but soon realised it was going to cost me more than a book could possibly have made. Most books don't make money and mostly just serve as an ego-boost for the writer.

5 hours ago, CGW said:

No, I don't think so.  I was drinking with him at New Pattaya Plaza 15 years ago.  

I was a little surprised when I saw this, it must be a month now it has been closed. I had been in there not long prior. Not very many customers but usual good standard. The owner perhaps saw the writing on the wall, soi 7-8 has been slowly dying for years, and certainly UK tourists numbers dropping and being squeezed financially by a strong baht. Similarly over on Soi Pothole, the Sea Side restaurant is downsizing, trying to rent out half of it's 2 shop premises. The one off soi 7 closed some time back. (having dogs wandering around when you were eating was unappetizing!).

• Like 1

Anyone remember the Winchester club in Jontiem? that was another seedy dump, went in once.

• Like 1

Just now, Orton Rd said:

Anyone remember the Winchester club in Jontiem? that was another seedy dump, went in once.

You're implication that the Pig and Whistle was a seedy dump is incorrect.  

• Like 2

I'll take your word for it but it would seem an successful pub?

8 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

"The first building on Soi 7" ..... LOL

LOL? Why?

• Haha 1