BANGKOK
kerr17

International Pioneers School

Anyone sending their kids to this school?

Looking for some insight reviews on primary and secondary schools with reasonable fees around Sathorn/Silom.

Thanks!

Despite having 'international' in its name, it certainly isn't a real international school. 

11 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

Despite having 'international' in its name, it certainly isn't a real international school. 

Why?

IPS is accredited by a range of national and international organisations:

• The Thai Ministry of Education
  • The Office for National Education Standards and Quality Assessment (ONESQA)
  • Our school is a member of the International Schools Association of Thailand (ISAT)
  • We are a Cambridge Primary and Secondary School as well as a Cambridge Examinations Centre
  • We are an Edexcel Centre
  • We are accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Schools, Western Association of Schools and Colleges. The accreditation status covers the entire school programme from kindergarten through Year 13.

Just now, brewsterbudgen said:

Why?

IPS is accredited by a range of national and international organisations:

• The Thai Ministry of Education
  • The Office for National Education Standards and Quality Assessment (ONESQA)
  • Our school is a member of the International Schools Association of Thailand (ISAT)
  • We are a Cambridge Primary and Secondary School as well as a Cambridge Examinations Centre
  • We are an Edexcel Centre
  • We are accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Schools, Western Association of Schools and Colleges. The accreditation status covers the entire school programme from kindergarten through Year 13.

Having a quick look at the staff profiles on their website suggests that it doesn't have your usual international school staff. Nearly all of the KS2 teachers are Filipino. There is nothing wrong with that, but I wouldn't expect the level of education there to be great.

Also, being an international school teacher in Bangkok myself, I have never heard of the place until this morning. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BobbyL said:

Having a quick look at the staff profiles on their website suggests that it doesn't have your usual international school staff. Nearly all of the KS2 teachers are Filipino. There is nothing wrong with that, but I wouldn't expect the level of education there to be great.

Also, being an international school teacher in Bangkok myself, I have never heard of the place until this morning. 

Cheers. Like the OP, I'm looking at prospective schools for my (British) son.  Due to being a lowly TEFL teacher myself, the top international schools like Patana, Shrewsbury, Harrow, St Andrews, and Bangkok Prep are out of my price range, so I am having to look at some of these mid-range "international" schools.  I've looked at Traill, Ascot and Ekkamai International (my preference is for a UK curriculum), and I have a few more to see.  How bad are they, in your opinion? I'd never heard of Pioneer either, but might put it on my list!

Edited by brewsterbudgen

20 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Cheers. Like the OP, I'm looking at prospective schools for my (British) son.  Due to being a lowly TEFL teacher myself, the top international schools like Patana, Shrewsbury, Harrow, St Andrews, and Bangkok Prep are out of my price range, so I am having to look at some of these mid-range "international" schools.  I've looked at Traill, Ascot and Ekkamai International (my preference is for a UK curriculum), and I have a few more to see.  How bad are they, in your opinion? I'd never heard of Pioneer either, but might put it on my list!

I can't really comment on schools that I know nothing about. Ascott have a very good reputation, but are definitely not cheap. With the likes of Brighton and Wellington also recently opening it seems that the average fees are continuing to rise 🙄

If it is a UK Curriculum school you are looking for then the big thing for me would be ensuring the staff are fully qualified (PGCE / B.Ed and ideally with QTS). By the looks of Pioneers, they follow the UK Curriculum, but seem to employ lots of non - qualified staff to actually teach it. Therefore, that isn't a real international school in my opinion. 

Is your son half Thai? Amnuay Silpa might be worth a look as they do have a very good recruitment policy direct from the UK and are averagely priced. 

I can't really comment on schools that I know nothing about. Ascott have a very good reputation, but are definitely not cheap. With the likes of Brighton and Wellington also recently opening it seems that the average fees are continuing to rise 

If it is a UK Curriculum school you are looking for then the big thing for me would be ensuring the staff are fully qualified (PGCE / B.Ed and ideally with QTS). By the looks of Pioneers, they follow the UK Curriculum, but seem to employ lots of non - qualified staff to actually teach it. Therefore, that isn't a real international school in my opinion. 

Is your son half Thai? Amnuay Silpa might be worth a look as they do have a very good recruitment policy direct from the UK and are averagely priced. 
No, my son is only British. I'm trying to find a school with annual tuition fees of around 300,000. Not easy!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Just now, brewsterbudgen said:

No, my son is only British. I'm trying to find a school with annual tuition fees of around 300,000. Not easy!

Oh, okay. Definitely not easy.

The annual fees in general are extortionate. 

Also looking for schools into that price range.

Garden International in Yen Akart road is also on my list other then the ones you mentioned.

How old is your son?

In younger years it may be worth placing more of a compromise on cost vs reputation for a decent introduction for a child into school... i.e. a half decent international school and then looking to move them elsewhere as they become older (i.e. saving now and for higher costs later once the child is older than 10 years old).

Schools with a better reputation cost a lot, we're talking 500k per year plus. 

Someone mentioned Amnuay Silpa School - IMO its the best Bilingual School in Bangkok, the quality of teachers there compete with the top international schools (Patana, NIST). 

• Like 2

On 7/25/2019 at 12:34 PM, richard_smith237 said:
How old is your son?

In younger years it may be worth placing more of a compromise on cost vs reputation for a decent introduction for a child into school... i.e. a half decent international school and then looking to move them elsewhere as they become older (i.e. saving now and for higher costs later once the child is older than 10 years old).

Schools with a better reputation cost a lot, we're talking 500k per year plus. 

Someone mentioned Amnuay Silpa School - IMO its the best Bilingual School in Bangkok, the quality of teachers there compete with the top international schools (Patana, NIST). 

He's 4 but I'm happy where is now (International Montessori) so he doesn't need to move for another year or two.

I agree with your point, although I want an English only school as neither me or his mother are Thai.

Posted (edited)

Amnuay Silpa is hiring locally now and only paying 50k pm. Top local teachers are making 50-70k. I would have recommended it before for a luk kreung kid, not so much any more.

I have a good, well paid teaching gig but am constantly scouring ads just seeing what's out there. I could swear I saw this school posted on Craigslist. I just tried to search and nothing. I can't be certain.

EIS uses Filipinos for all subjects save for English I was told. In the top 100 EIS ranked 55 I believe. It's a weird mix of local non-intl schools. I'd definitely recommend EIS over Pioneers.

There's also Garden? New Sathorn Int'l. Nothing with Singapore in it's name imo.

Any real international school will cost serious money. Tough to recommend for falang kid on budget. Ekamai comes again to mind.

Edited by Number 6

Amnuay Silpa is hiring locally now and only paying 50k pm. Top local teachers are making 50-70k. I would have recommended it before for a luk kreung kid, not so much any more.

I have a good, well paid teaching gig but am constantly scouring ads just seeing what's out there. I could swear I saw this school posted on Craigslist. I just tried to search and nothing. I can't be certain.

EIS uses Filipinos for all subjects save for English I was told. In the top 100 EIS ranked 55 I believe. It's a weird mix of local non-intl schools. I'd definitely recommend EIS over Pioneers.

There's also Garden? New Sathorn Int'l. Nothing with Singapore in it's name imo.

Any real international school will cost serious money. Tough to recommend for falang kid on budget. Ekamai comes again to mind.
Thanks. What you write makes sense. I've had the tour of EIS and met some of the teachers. I was reasonably impressed, despite it being a little heavy on Christianity. I am definitely considering it.

21 hours ago, Number 6 said:

That is for locally hired TEFL positions at Amnuay Silpa. They have an additional EAL program in the school and I know one of them who is on low 50s per month. 

Their fully qualified (PGCE etc) foundation, primary and secondary staff start on 100k++ and are generally all hired from the UK. I know a few other people there through football and the pay scale is very transparent, and being a qualified teacher myself, was something I was interested in seeing and comparing to my own package. 

I can 100% guarantee they are not paying their qualified teachers 50k per month. 

• Like 1

That is for locally hired TEFL positions at Amnuay Silpa. They have an additional EAL program in the school and I know one of them who is on low 50s per month. 

Their fully qualified (PGCE etc) foundation, primary and secondary staff start on 100k++ and are generally all hired from the UK. I know a few other people there through football and the pay scale is very transparent, and being a qualified teacher myself, was something I was interested in seeing and comparing to my own package. 

I can 100% guarantee they are not paying their qualified teachers 50k per month. 

Yes that sounds about right. Back in 2012 I know they were paying 90k+ per month for fully qualified teachers.