International Pioneers School

11 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

Despite having 'international' in its name, it certainly isn't a real international school. 

Why?

IPS is accredited by a range of national and international organisations:

• The Thai Ministry of Education
  • The Office for National Education Standards and Quality Assessment (ONESQA)
  • Our school is a member of the International Schools Association of Thailand (ISAT)
  • We are a Cambridge Primary and Secondary School as well as a Cambridge Examinations Centre
  • We are an Edexcel Centre
  • We are accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Schools, Western Association of Schools and Colleges. The accreditation status covers the entire school programme from kindergarten through Year 13.

Just now, brewsterbudgen said:

Why?

IPS is accredited by a range of national and international organisations:

• The Thai Ministry of Education
  • The Office for National Education Standards and Quality Assessment (ONESQA)
  • Our school is a member of the International Schools Association of Thailand (ISAT)
  • We are a Cambridge Primary and Secondary School as well as a Cambridge Examinations Centre
  • We are an Edexcel Centre
  • We are accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Schools, Western Association of Schools and Colleges. The accreditation status covers the entire school programme from kindergarten through Year 13.

Having a quick look at the staff profiles on their website suggests that it doesn't have your usual international school staff. Nearly all of the KS2 teachers are Filipino. There is nothing wrong with that, but I wouldn't expect the level of education there to be great.

Also, being an international school teacher in Bangkok myself, I have never heard of the place until this morning. 

1 hour ago, BobbyL said:

Having a quick look at the staff profiles on their website suggests that it doesn't have your usual international school staff. Nearly all of the KS2 teachers are Filipino. There is nothing wrong with that, but I wouldn't expect the level of education there to be great.

Also, being an international school teacher in Bangkok myself, I have never heard of the place until this morning. 

Cheers. Like the OP, I'm looking at prospective schools for my (British) son.  Due to being a lowly TEFL teacher myself, the top international schools like Patana, Shrewsbury, Harrow, St Andrews, and Bangkok Prep are out of my price range, so I am having to look at some of these mid-range "international" schools.  I've looked at Traill, Ascot and Ekkamai International (my preference is for a UK curriculum), and I have a few more to see.  How bad are they, in your opinion? I'd never heard of Pioneer either, but might put it on my list!

20 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Cheers. Like the OP, I'm looking at prospective schools for my (British) son.  Due to being a lowly TEFL teacher myself, the top international schools like Patana, Shrewsbury, Harrow, St Andrews, and Bangkok Prep are out of my price range, so I am having to look at some of these mid-range "international" schools.  I've looked at Traill, Ascot and Ekkamai International (my preference is for a UK curriculum), and I have a few more to see.  How bad are they, in your opinion? I'd never heard of Pioneer either, but might put it on my list!

I can't really comment on schools that I know nothing about. Ascott have a very good reputation, but are definitely not cheap. With the likes of Brighton and Wellington also recently opening it seems that the average fees are continuing to rise ????

If it is a UK Curriculum school you are looking for then the big thing for me would be ensuring the staff are fully qualified (PGCE / B.Ed and ideally with QTS). By the looks of Pioneers, they follow the UK Curriculum, but seem to employ lots of non - qualified staff to actually teach it. Therefore, that isn't a real international school in my opinion. 

Is your son half Thai? Amnuay Silpa might be worth a look as they do have a very good recruitment policy direct from the UK and are averagely priced. 

I can't really comment on schools that I know nothing about. Ascott have a very good reputation, but are definitely not cheap. With the likes of Brighton and Wellington also recently opening it seems that the average fees are continuing to rise [emoji849]. 

If it is a UK Curriculum school you are looking for then the big thing for me would be ensuring the staff are fully qualified (PGCE / B.Ed and ideally with QTS). By the looks of Pioneers, they follow the UK Curriculum, but seem to employ lots of non - qualified staff to actually teach it. Therefore, that isn't a real international school in my opinion. 

Is your son half Thai? Amnuay Silpa might be worth a look as they do have a very good recruitment policy direct from the UK and are averagely priced. 
No, my son is only British. I'm trying to find a school with annual tuition fees of around 300,000. Not easy!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

How old is your son?

In younger years it may be worth placing more of a compromise on cost vs reputation for a decent introduction for a child into school... i.e. a half decent international school and then looking to move them elsewhere as they become older (i.e. saving now and for higher costs later once the child is older than 10 years old).

Schools with a better reputation cost a lot, we're talking 500k per year plus. 

Someone mentioned Amnuay Silpa School - IMO its the best Bilingual School in Bangkok, the quality of teachers there compete with the top international schools (Patana, NIST). 

On 7/25/2019 at 12:34 PM, richard_smith237 said:
How old is your son?

In younger years it may be worth placing more of a compromise on cost vs reputation for a decent introduction for a child into school... i.e. a half decent international school and then looking to move them elsewhere as they become older (i.e. saving now and for higher costs later once the child is older than 10 years old).

Schools with a better reputation cost a lot, we're talking 500k per year plus. 

Someone mentioned Amnuay Silpa School - IMO its the best Bilingual School in Bangkok, the quality of teachers there compete with the top international schools (Patana, NIST). 

He's 4 but I'm happy where is now (International Montessori) so he doesn't need to move for another year or two.

I agree with your point, although I want an English only school as neither me or his mother are Thai.

Amnuay Silpa is hiring locally now and only paying 50k pm. Top local teachers are making 50-70k. I would have recommended it before for a luk kreung kid, not so much any more.

I have a good, well paid teaching gig but am constantly scouring ads just seeing what's out there. I could swear I saw this school posted on Craigslist. I just tried to search and nothing. I can't be certain.

EIS uses Filipinos for all subjects save for English I was told. In the top 100 EIS ranked 55 I believe. It's a weird mix of local non-intl schools. I'd definitely recommend EIS over Pioneers.

There's also Garden? New Sathorn Int'l. Nothing with Singapore in it's name imo.

Any real international school will cost serious money. Tough to recommend for falang kid on budget. Ekamai comes again to mind.

Amnuay Silpa is hiring locally now and only paying 50k pm. Top local teachers are making 50-70k. I would have recommended it before for a luk kreung kid, not so much any more.

I have a good, well paid teaching gig but am constantly scouring ads just seeing what's out there. I could swear I saw this school posted on Craigslist. I just tried to search and nothing. I can't be certain.

EIS uses Filipinos for all subjects save for English I was told. In the top 100 EIS ranked 55 I believe. It's a weird mix of local non-intl schools. I'd definitely recommend EIS over Pioneers.

There's also Garden? New Sathorn Int'l. Nothing with Singapore in it's name imo.

Any real international school will cost serious money. Tough to recommend for falang kid on budget. Ekamai comes again to mind.
Thanks. What you write makes sense. I've had the tour of EIS and met some of the teachers. I was reasonably impressed, despite it being a little heavy on Christianity. I am definitely considering it.

21 hours ago, Number 6 said:

That is for locally hired TEFL positions at Amnuay Silpa. They have an additional EAL program in the school and I know one of them who is on low 50s per month. 

Their fully qualified (PGCE etc) foundation, primary and secondary staff start on 100k++ and are generally all hired from the UK. I know a few other people there through football and the pay scale is very transparent, and being a qualified teacher myself, was something I was interested in seeing and comparing to my own package. 

I can 100% guarantee they are not paying their qualified teachers 50k per month. 

That is for locally hired TEFL positions at Amnuay Silpa. They have an additional EAL program in the school and I know one of them who is on low 50s per month. 

Their fully qualified (PGCE etc) foundation, primary and secondary staff start on 100k++ and are generally all hired from the UK. I know a few other people there through football and the pay scale is very transparent, and being a qualified teacher myself, was something I was interested in seeing and comparing to my own package. 

I can 100% guarantee they are not paying their qualified teachers 50k per month. 

Yes that sounds about right. Back in 2012 I know they were paying 90k+ per month for fully qualified teachers.

1 hour ago, BobbyL said:

That sound very interesting.

I wonder how my kids (11 and 7) would settle there considering they can speak only basic Thai (despite being Luk krueng) as they only studied in UK International schools so far.

Also not that far from Sathorn, which is where I'm currently based.

12 hours ago, BobbyL said:

Understood. Yet they have teachers like me making much less than I do working at the school as also confirmed by you. In fact, many public, public/privates are paying low 50s for top talent. Top public's easily 42.5.

If the teachers are in a teriary position that would be a strong point as most schools would employ Filipinos. I'd assume the job would not be as demanding as a classroom teacher. If they are doing the same jobs as the qts, that's not right. 50k is way too low for that svhool. I've seen 2-3 ads for that salary at that rate as well. Being American I dislike the school's policy of only hiring British but whatever.

Further, while I do believe it to be a good school I am unaware it competes for anything locally or which universities the students are accepted.

21 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Thanks. What you write makes sense. I've had the tour of EIS and met some of the teachers. I was reasonably impressed, despite it being a little heavy on Christianity. I am definitely considering it.

Also consider Bangkok Christian, Assumption College. Initial post I was unsure he was luk kreung. I think there's cultural value to being in a Thai school. Many kids at Assumption can end up at Triam Udom Suksa and Pathumwan Demonstration with a great deal of ambition. Assumption and BCC have networks like Triam and PDS as well. Histories and culture.

It's VERY important the child is absolutely fluent in Thai and does not have a peculiar accent or speak Thai in a halting manner. They can write Thai fluently if they will be any success in the job market here. If the kid looks white even more so. A huge drawback Thais attending fancy schools make them alien's in their own country.

I'd be looking to track him into PDS first, Suankularb second for M1-3 and on to Triam Udom. That's a Thai kids dream. For sciences it's Mahidol Wittayasorn outside Bangkok. Many smart boys go to Suankularb and on to Mahidol Wittayasorn.

Samsen Wittayalai

is ranked top 5 but the EP program *has issues*. Careful there. That's middle and high school as others I'd mentioned prior.

In Thailand public schools go for the Intensive programs. Less English but better Thai teachers. Best effort toward university. Avoid Filipino subject teachers in public school programs. I think they are ok though at EIS (ok).

If your kid just doesn't have the stuff, Triam Pattanakarn Intensive but must be accepted into higher classes x/1 to /4-5. Those kids can make the jump to Triam or Pathumwan at M4 or at least have the education to get into top Thai universities.

Have a look at Satit Chula as well.

Also consider Bangkok Christian, Assumption College. Initial post I was unsure he was luk kreung. I think there's cultural value to being in a Thai school. Many kids at Assumption can end up at Triam Udom Suksa and Pathumwan Demonstration with a great deal of ambition. Assumption and BCC have networks like Triam and PDS as well. Histories and culture.

It's VERY important the child is absolutely fluent in Thai and does not have a peculiar accent or speak Thai in a halting manner. They can write Thai fluently if they will be any success in the job market here. If the kid looks white even more so. A huge drawback Thais attending fancy schools make them alien's in their own country.

I'd be looking to track him into PDS first, Suankularb second for M1-3 and on to Triam Udom. That's a Thai kids dream. For sciences it's Mahidol Wittayasorn outside Bangkok. Many smart boys go to Suankularb and on to Mahidol Wittayasorn.

Samsen Wittayalai
is ranked top 5 but the EP program *has issues*. Careful there. That's middle and high school as others I'd mentioned prior.

In Thailand public schools go for the Intensive programs. Less English but better Thai teachers. Best effort toward university. Avoid Filipino subject teachers in public school programs. I think they are ok though at EIS (ok).

If your kid just doesn't have the stuff, Triam Pattanakarn Intensive but must be accepted into higher classes x/1 to /4-5. Those kids can make the jump to Triam or Pathumwan at M4 or at least have the education to get into top Thai universities.

Have a look at Satit Chula as well.
My son is British, not Thai. Presumably he would have to have more than just basic Thai language skills to attend one of these schools?

4 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Understood. Yet they have teachers like me making much less than I do working at the school as also confirmed by you. In fact, many public, public/privates are paying low 50s for top talent. Top public's easily 42.5.

If the teachers are in a teriary position that would be a strong point as most schools would employ Filipinos. I'd assume the job would not be as demanding as a classroom teacher. If they are doing the same jobs as the qts, that's not right. 50k is way too low for that svhool. I've seen 2-3 ads for that salary at that rate as well. Being American I dislike the school's policy of only hiring British but whatever.

Further, while I do believe it to be a good school I am unaware it competes for anything locally or which universities the students are accepted.

As far as I know the EAL teachers teach small intervention style classes to the children with far lower English levels. I would guess their teaching hours and workload is far smaller than being a full time classroom teacher there.

14 hours ago, kerr17 said:

That sound very interesting.

I wonder how my kids (11 and 7) would settle there considering they can speak only basic Thai (despite being Luk krueng) as they only studied in UK International schools so far.

Also not that far from Sathorn, which is where I'm currently based.

I am not sure. Even though they run a full UK curriculum with qualified staff (similar to any other international school) I still think there is a big emphasis on Thai learning / culture too. It might be hard for them to integrate as I was told that nearly all the children there are fully Thai. 

11 hours ago, Number 6 said:

is ranked top 5 

Naïve question perhaps - how do you find rankings for schools? 

The kids may not make it, but these fancy/expensive schools with UK or US syllabuses claim also to nurture independence & decision making that doctors, lawyers, accountants etc need. If a child went through the Thai education system on an English Program to a Thai university, how prepared would they be for a competitive professional job?

I have a half Thai 2 year old who started at an "international" school in name only where girls seemed destined to become incapable "princesses". We've moved her to Bromsgrove (close to here) at least to start.

14 minutes ago, 503726 said:

Naïve question perhaps - how do you find rankings for schools? 

The kids may not make it, but these fancy/expensive schools with UK or US syllabuses claim also to nurture independence & decision making that doctors, lawyers, accountants etc need. If a child went through the Thai education system on an English Program to a Thai university, how prepared would they be for a competitive professional job?

I have a half Thai 2 year old who started at an "international" school in name only where girls seemed destined to become incapable "princesses". We've moved her to Bromsgrove (close to here) at least to start.

There are a few lists floating around. Try and Google them up. I think the best is from 2015 but believe there's one more recent. This is for top 100 Thai secondaries. I think a student website maybe dek-d did the one most recent and in Thai. The HS rankings don't really change. I follow these schools closely as it's related to my job but also a weird little pastime.

There are a few top ten international school lists but based on nothing tangible not even students approval. To my mind there are four tiers of international schools. I know nothing of prathom but think Satit Chula and Mater Dei would be my picks outside international schools. Mater Dei has preschool I think. It's a really lovely, safe environment and welcoming of mixed girls.

I had a friend with kids in elementary at NIST. It's a great school but very expensive. I'm sure their Thai was absolute crap but they were prolly 5 grades ahead of girls at the aforementioned schools.

1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

There are a few lists floating around. Try and Google them up. I think the best is from 2015 but believe there's one more recent. This is for top 100 Thai secondaries. I think a student website maybe dek-d did the one most recent and in Thai. The HS rankings don't really change. I follow these schools closely as it's related to my job but also a weird little pastime.

There are a few top ten international school lists but based on nothing tangible not even students approval. To my mind there are four tiers of international schools. I know nothing of prathom but think Satit Chula and Mater Dei would be my picks outside international schools. Mater Dei has preschool I think. It's a really lovely, safe environment and welcoming of mixed girls.

I had a friend with kids in elementary at NIST. It's a great school but very expensive. I'm sure their Thai was absolute crap but they were prolly 5 grades ahead of girls at the aforementioned schools.

What do you think of Garden International school? 

Any other mid-low tier International school would you recommend?

31 minutes ago, kerr17 said:

What do you think of Garden International school? 

Any other mid-low tier International school would you recommend?

I've no idea honestly I think it's kinda pricey. At that cost you might also consider Wells although unsure they have preschool. Also $$. Maybe wait list.

I know nothing about preschool but I'd urge you to have a look at both Satit Chula and Mater Dei. Amnuay Silpa. I think a good grounding in Thai language and culture 3-4 yrs age might be valuable.

Your daughter is very young so you're thinking a long way out. See that you have the resources to keep her in international schools and on to the west for university. Otherwise, you might want to consider competing for top Thai schools and having her study here (or HKG, China or Japan).

An excellent Thai prathom could set here up for the best middle / high schools and then if she's driven and smart on to Triam Udom, Pathumwan Demonstration or Mahidol Wittayasorn. Sattriwittaya - old, important girls school near Banglamphu.

BTW Mater Dei might be a bit of a princess factory, but it's safe and she'll get attention and love. You can move her on after a few years. If you're a good teacher you might even be able to work there. Maybe they'd give you a discount I think they do.

Oh BTW 2 Sacred Heart Convent has an ok pre and primary. EP primary too but I'd go with Thai primary to grade 4 and move on. Cheapish as schools go but you're way better off at the two aforementioned if you can afford them.

Sorry if I'm rambling.

Archived