International Pioneers School

3 hours ago, Number 6 said:

I've no idea honestly I think it's kinda pricey. At that cost you might also consider Wells although unsure they have preschool. Also $$. Maybe wait list.

I know nothing about preschool but I'd urge you to have a look at both Satit Chula and Mater Dei. Amnuay Silpa. I think a good grounding in Thai language and culture 3-4 yrs age might be valuable.

Your daughter is very young so you're thinking a long way out. See that you have the resources to keep her in international schools and on to the west for university. Otherwise, you might want to consider competing for top Thai schools and having her study here (or HKG, China or Japan).

An excellent Thai prathom could set here up for the best middle / high schools and then if she's driven and smart on to Triam Udom, Pathumwan Demonstration or Mahidol Wittayasorn. Sattriwittaya - old, important girls school near Banglamphu.

BTW Mater Dei might be a bit of a princess factory, but it's safe and she'll get attention and love. You can move her on after a few years. If you're a good teacher you might even be able to work there. Maybe they'd give you a discount I think they do.

Oh BTW 2 Sacred Heart Convent has an ok pre and primary. EP primary too but I'd go with Thai primary to grade 4 and move on. Cheapish as schools go but you're way better off at the two aforementioned if you can afford them.

Sorry if I'm rambling.

My girls are 11 and 7 years old.

5 hours ago, kerr17 said:

My girls are 11 and 7 years old.

Ok, Brewster jumped in with a question or two, confused. I went back and saw you're discussing two daughters and age and limited Thai. I don't recall if they are mixed. Assuming they are...

If you did not want to challenge them with a Thai school I think Ekamai might be ok. I think Garden and Satorn are decent schools (Garden may be better than EIS) but don't really know. EIS American curriculum. The  other two British. My area of understanding is public, public/private middle, HS and something about top 5 universities.

The top ten international schools are world class but you'll pay for that.

I'm partial to the idea that kids matriculate through Thai system. To make up for it's shortcomings you can tutor them. They'll always struggle with Thai unless the bubble is removed. If they are not throughly fluent may run into employment issues and prejudice. Then what to do for university? If you can go back or they can live with relatives, great. If not?

If they cannot keep up with studies due to lack of Thai that's obviously an issue.

International schools starting so you'll need to decide quickly. Thai schools into second quarter.

Here's the sataban HS list. I don't agree entirely on ranking and some schools in thai. You'll need to translate.

https://www.sataban.com/top-100-best-private-public-thai-schools-thailand-2014-2015/

International schools modest priced?? I'm out of ideas. Locals: Sacred Heart Convent EP Primary (it's 'ok'), Amnuay Silpa, I think St Joseph's has EP Primary. Mater Dei teaches lots of English but not in subjects (English standard / intensive). Satit Chula I believe might have EP Primary.

Just thought of another. Bangkok Christian International School. I think it's good. I had a student who was top of my class in M1 five yrs ago - she went on to Triam Udom in M4. Her mother moved her out of BCIS bc shed said she was losing her ability to speak Thai. BTW It' very 'Christian' I know from years back I was shortlisted but did not make second cut because I was not Christian by Evangelical definition. But don't let that put you off. Bangkok's old, traditional Catholic schools imo offer decent educational opportunities at value. Wildly popular with Thais.

Oh!!!! I don't think they have EP but another solid school a notch or two below Mater Dei with a strong alum network is Wattana Wittayalai. Both MD and WWA are central on BTS. Sacred Heart is a stroll from MRAt as is St Joe's. Ekamai is a hassle to get out to. Need to think on that seriously.

I think St Gabriel has a convent school also. Maybe EP but the boys HS good, dunno bout that one.

Thanks for your advice & guide to the lists available.

Mine was the 2 year old daughter so choosing the route to take will be a conundrum for some time and possible university destination a long way off. 

NIST seemed a great school to me too. It would be my choice if we could get to it from here. I really like the personal development it seems to achieve in its kids. Incidentally, we would enrol in Regents if it were more accessible from here - the pre school seemed effective, as a school it had energy and seemed well run. Both do IB as does Ruamrudee closer to here. We weren't as impressed with their early years in terms of energy. Perhaps that is a social difference with us. The university placement of its 18 year olds is certainly stunning though. Their alumni magazine is called "Ad Astra" rather aptly. A majority go Top 100 universities particularly in the US & over 20% straight into Medicine.  

18 hours ago, 503726 said:

Thanks for your advice & guide to the lists available.

Mine was the 2 year old daughter so choosing the route to take will be a conundrum for some time and possible university destination a long way off. 

NIST seemed a great school to me too. It would be my choice if we could get to it from here. I really like the personal development it seems to achieve in its kids. Incidentally, we would enrol in Regents if it were more accessible from here - the pre school seemed effective, as a school it had energy and seemed well run. Both do IB as does Ruamrudee closer to here. We weren't as impressed with their early years in terms of energy. Perhaps that is a social difference with us. The university placement of its 18 year olds is certainly stunning though. Their alumni magazine is called "Ad Astra" rather aptly. A majority go Top 100 universities particularly in the US & over 20% straight into Medicine.  

If money was no option I would send kids to NIST without a doubt. Fantastic school and facilities. 

On 7/31/2019 at 11:46 AM, BobbyL said:

If money was no option I would send kids to NIST without a doubt. Fantastic school and facilities. 

I second that. I have I friend who had two kids there. He was planning on moving to States but stalled on the issue that he couldn't find schools even close to what NIST offered. I think it's something like 28k USD for early years. I'd been there on a conference, it was really impressive.

21 hours ago, Number 6 said:

I second that. I have I friend who had two kids there. He was planning on moving to States but stalled on the issue that he couldn't find schools even close to what NIST offered. I think it's something like 28k USD for early years. I'd been there on a conference, it was really impressive.

For interest - these are the figures for NIST on my reckoning. + a refundable contribution to the facilities.  

Year

Age at

Baht

USD

GBP

1 Sep

RoE

Sign on

N

not mentioned  

R1

R2

Y1

Y2

Y3

Y4

Y5

Y6

Y7

Y8

Y9

Y10

Y11

Y12

Y13

Summary

Primary to Y1

Primary to Y2 - 6

Middle Y7 - 11

High Y12 & 13

• 4 weeks later...

Looking for a school for my 2 kids, non-Thai, non-Eng, their English is quite poor, so I need them to learn it. Personally can pay up to 35k per month for both (maybe even 40,but by the month), so yep budget is an issue, esp none of those ridiculous entrance fees, as might not stay in bkk long and most certainly don't qualify for a loan here. 

On 8/1/2019 at 5:43 PM, Number 6 said:

NIST is very good.  Right up there and just behind ISB and Patana, but not being able to find anything even close to what NIST offered in the US? I'm guessing he did not look very hard.  The good private schools in the US are at least compatible with NIST (and ISB and Patana).

On 8/24/2019 at 5:21 PM, NancyDrew said:

Looking for a school for my 2 kids, non-Thai, non-Eng, their English is quite poor, so I need them to learn it. Personally can pay up to 35k per month for both (maybe even 40,but by the month), so yep budget is an issue, esp none of those ridiculous entrance fees, as might not stay in bkk long and most certainly don't qualify for a loan here. 

You don't state how old they are or what gender. Try Ekamai International as I assume they don't need to learn Thai. I've no idea about the tuition but think fees are minimal.

I doubt 200k a year will get you much outside public school. But ask at Ekamai. Convent schools for girls but there will be Thai language in EP program.

11 minutes ago, Angry Dragon said:

NIST is very good.  Right up there and just behind ISB and Patana, but not being able to find anything even close to what NIST offered in the US? I'm guessing he did not look very hard.  The good private schools in the US are at least compatible with NIST (and ISB and Patana).

I'd argue NIST is just as good. The two you've mentioned have history behind them. Pattana is British curriculum.

He wanted to out them in public schools. Was shopping for zip code at the same time places he saw as livable and somewhat affordable**

Archived