US supports Thailand’s role as regional leader, says Pompeo

snoop1130

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Yes my cousin had the same reply which doesn't change the fact that they were repelled.Of course you are right in saying it is more complicated,much more so now but with America building walls around it's borders send signals of non engagement is not a promising sign that it is as confident as it once was. America's current administration seems to lack the persuasive power to acheive much more than rhetoric.Reason certainly fails when itchy fingers hover uncertainly over the triggers of weapons.Also if you say that China and Russia were in cahoots in Vietnam then it is likely that would also occur in any future actions making it a formidable team indeed.Like I said it's a big ask!   

Don't forget the US too!  We could have been out of VN in '69 (or soon after) if Nixon had not colluded with the enemy to prolong the war.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

Regional leader??? in what? They can't even build a proper footpath. 

It's the Hub of Hubs. 

Been missing a good hub story for a while. What happened, the hub-man got transferred to inactive post?

14 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

As sad as it is the US had to take this stance and path to welcome the new government even if it was gotten through ways that are very questionable. China is the biggest danger that needs to be halted at any measure. 

You will not stop China by going soft when another country puts itself in China's orbit. Choosing China should mean a nation doing so pays a severe cost in US trade. And any defense pacts should be cancelled.

16 minutes ago, Johnnyngai said:

The mighty USA will support Thailand with more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Well Thailand has always been for sale to the highest bidder. I guess it's an auction between China and US then.

3 hours ago, onera1961 said:

Does Pompeo know that Thailand is called the Land of Sex (LOS) and they allow brothels (aka bars) built to pimp their daughters to old, creepy sexpats for marriage? They are sure leaders in sex industry. 

He surely is aware that Thailand was a beacon of modesty and morality before randy yanks on R&R from Vietnam turned it in to one big brothel.

(Or so the official story would have us believe).

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

I do not agree with these findings at all.

My research shows that the present US military expenditure is more than 1.5 trillion USD a year. This figure is not 3% of GDP, as is often quoted, but over 7%, and is then bolstered by FED money printing.

There are 2017 figures and I would not doubt yours are more up to date.

53 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Transparency under Prayuth is as bizarre a concept as transparency under Trump. 

Well said. I always felt that these two "democratically elected" (in free and fair elections) leaders were cut from the same cloth. Striking similarities !

2 hours ago, MartinKal said:

It is not true that China is armed to the teeth. China spends about 200 billion dollar a year on Military while the US spends three times that figure.

It is true because Chinese weapons cost less than a fifth of the cost of American made weapons!Of course I just pulled this figure out of my behind,but I don't know whose behind your pulled you figures out of? 

Doesn't the US have to back Thailand?  Thailand was once the US's largest CIA station in SE Asia and most likely still is.  Maybe with technology it isn't as relevant to be so close geographically to China ... I'm not sure.

Just look at the size of the US Embassy on Wireless Rd ... What do you think is behind those walls?

Does Pompeo know that Thailand is called the Land of Sex (LOS) and they allow brothels (aka bars) built to pimp their daughters to old, creepy sexpats for marriage? They are sure leaders in sex industry. 

Yet there is so much more to Thailand if you venture out of the red light districts.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

America and it's allies couldn't even beat half of one of the poorest countries in the world (North Vietnam).In fact well and truly got their collective kicked and were sent scurrying home with their tails between their legs.China is armed to the teeth.

There is a big difference between “can’t” and “won’t”.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

30 minutes ago, HaoleBoy said:

Doesn't the US have to back Thailand?  Thailand was once the US's largest CIA station in SE Asia and most likely still is.  Maybe with technology it isn't as relevant to be so close geographically to China ... I'm not sure.

Just look at the size of the US Embassy on Wireless Rd ... What do you think is behind those walls?

Good post HaoleBoy.

Many of the world's problems can be sorted out with US dollars (postponing them for later). Thailand was denied 15 million dollars US after the last coup. Was it  environment dosh or something like that? A mere slap on the wrist.

The CIA are everywhere. Operation active all over. Us mere posters on TVForum can never know what's really going on.

7 minutes ago, HaoleBoy said:

Not sure if they still work but they still those big antennae things pointed at china up in Udon. 

38 minutes ago, bipper said:

There are 2017 figures and I would not doubt yours are more up to date.

My figures are gleaned from similar sources but often from different perspective. Take the latest arms sales to the middle east. The profit from the deals is knocked off. Also the covert operations on extra-terrestrials and UFOs (a huge expenditure in itself) is not added in. Also research; just billions. Also I'm not taking off 10% for 'non-military' use of military hardware.

Most of the figures, that go into these fancy charts, are simply given to them by the US. Greatly underestimating the true costs.

2 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Quote:-

"Thailand’s role as a regional leader"

Oh really, I thought Singapore was the "hub" of ASEAN.

Think he is means Thailand's role as a regional leader in the regional Thailand Hub!Or that might be hub caps I'm not sure!

54 minutes ago, HaoleBoy said:

It sure isn't help for American citizens with consular services.

46 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

The CIA are everywhere. Operation active all over. Us mere posters on TVForum can never know what's really going on.

Even you could be a CIA asset. 

8 hours ago, smedly said:

no they don't - they have you on a close watch to see how Thailand's current administration can evolve - maybe further down the line depending on a lot of issues especially human rights - we will see how it goes

I am not holding my breath - my confidence in Thai democracy right now is at the lowest it has ever been these last 15 years

I base that on the level of corruption...……………...

US interests in Thailand - China

No they don't have Thailand on close watch at all. 

a ) The Donald loves Thailand for obvious reasons.

b ) Thailand has always been protected by America and always will be due to it's proximity to China.

c ) The US has invested massive amounts of money into Thailand over the last 50+ years. Massive amounts. Most of Thailand's infrastructure comes from US investment. Frankly, everything good about Thailand is because of America.

d ) Thailand has the backing of 8VC which is the most powerful venture capital firm in the world. 8VC is owned by Joe Lonsdale.  https://8vc.com/team/joe-lonsdale/ One of the companies he co-founded, Palantir, is already in Vietnam and will be expanding to Thailand soon. Palantir is backed by the CIA. Joe is the protege of Peter Thiel who is arguably the most powerful person on planet Earth and a technical advisor to President Trump. Thiel and Trump are in the process of investigating Google for treason with China, that's how powerful Thiel is. Google is smalltime compared to Lonsdale and Thiel. You can read about it here: https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-signals-scrutiny-of-googles-ties-with-china-after-thiel-comments-11563285110 The fact that Lonsdale, Thiel, and Alex Karp plan to invest in Thailand is huge. You won't be able to Google that info but take my word for it, I know.

e ) Thailand is on the verge of explosive technological growth as US companies are being forced to find talent outside of the United States. Southeast Asia is a treasure trove of cheap computer science talent. Thai coders are very good for the price tag ( avg $20k usd/ year ). America is short 1 million computer programmers at present and that number will only continue to go up. Due to Facebook and Google intentionally over-hiring to drive up the cost of programmers on "potential competitors" ( avg software eng in Silicon Valley makes $350k usd now ), companies are looking for talent in developing countries like Thailand. They simply cannot afford to pay the astronomical salaries that software engineers in America are commanding now. 

f )  Bangkok will become a major tech hub of the world and is arguably one of the next Silicon Valleys.

Because I'm very aware of the massive US technical infrastructure investment that is coming Thailand's way, I highly recommend buying BTS stock now while it's still cheap. It's tax free and will do at least 300% return in 5 years in my strong opinion. BTS is a monopoly so it's only going up. It's a no-brainer investment.

If you don't understand why you should buy BTS stock because of America's plans to invest trillions in Thailand's technical infrastructure...then I'm not sure what else to say. I'm simply trying to give some of the expats on this site a financial "tip". Like, "hint, hint". In the US, this would be called insider trading. 

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Our alliance will grow even stronger as we work together to advance goals common to both countries, such as security, peace, and prosperity in the Indo-Pacific and throughout the world.

Despite not having an Ambassador to Thailand and dropping out of the Trans Pacific Partnership that would have put the U.S. at the lead of what was to be the world’s largest free trade deal, covering 40 percent of the global economy.

Where exactly is the U.S.-Thailand "alliance" growing stronger?

Despite not having an Ambassador to Thailand and dropping out of the Trans Pacific Partnership that would have put the U.S. at the lead of what was to be the world’s largest free trade deal, covering 40 percent of the global economy.
Where exactly is the U.S.-Thailand "alliance" growing stronger?
An ambassador has been nominated. He's an extremely republican political appointment with no diplomatic experience.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived