Builder,Painter,Electrician,Plumber

Kakricas

Hi guys,

I have just rent a small guesthouse (patong) and i would like to renovate it before the high season start. Do you know any GOOD and RELIABLE 

• Builder
  • Painter
  • Electrician
  • Plumber

Please post ONLY if you know someone that worked for you before. I am looking for a Myanmari or Thai person unless there is a farang that can charge reasonably.

Thank you

Gio 

I've recently been having a lot of renovations done, or at least trying to.  Main issue we've faced is either anyone reliable and not giving out extortionate bids, are busy.  The other issue is bids coming in substantially more than they would cost to have done by licensed tradesmen in countries that require contracting and or electrical licenses.

You may want to ask the staff at the homepro and other similar shops if they have a person who can do installation etc.

We bought kitchen tiles at homepro and they also arranged installation by one of their independent tradesmen. He did a fairly good job and the labor price was reasonable.

Be careful as 90% are cowboys

You must ask around local business look at work that has been done and ask them ' who was your ...' but after small talk and chatting up the owner a bit - usually it is a cousin or relative and if you get through this entrance they wont <deleted> you over

If you walk up as a stranger be prepared for

- Huge Over purchase of all supplies that they will take with them later costing you thousands needlessly

- Unfinished work everywhere you can't see unless you sit with them when working and monitor everything

- A copycat identical same business nearby fully furnished with all the supplies they had away from your job - enjoy!

On 7/21/2019 at 9:55 PM, ChasingTheSun said:

You may want to ask the staff at the homepro and other similar shops if they have a person who can do installation etc.

We bought kitchen tiles at homepro and they also arranged installation by one of their independent tradesmen. He did a fairly good job and the labor price was reasonable.

How much he take please?

On 7/23/2019 at 10:57 AM, MartiniMan said:

Be careful as 90% are cowboys

You must ask around local business look at work that has been done and ask them ' who was your ...' but after small talk and chatting up the owner a bit - usually it is a cousin or relative and if you get through this entrance they wont <deleted> you over

If you walk up as a stranger be prepared for

- Huge Over purchase of all supplies that they will take with them later costing you thousands needlessly

- Unfinished work everywhere you can't see unless you sit with them when working and monitor everything

- A copycat identical same business nearby fully furnished with all the supplies they had away from your job - enjoy!

exactly correct, I have had 2 houses built, one bathroom done, painting etc … and now getting a 50m2 carport and believe me they are cowboys !!  nothing more nothing less.  Then I have a fight with my second half about the price as thai's don't want to push or argue about the price which pisses me off big time as I feel i'm getting zero support from the other and i'm the payer everytime.

7 hours ago, coollife99 said:

How much he take please?

If was a tile backsplash job of about 9sqm using 6x12inch tiles.

Took the guy about 5 hours to do it. I kept my eye on him, checking-in to make sure he did it the way i wanted, rather than the way he wanted. 

As has been mentioned by others, it was important to give some “guidance” and monitor periodically as the work was being done.

Labor was $100.

Paid homepro up-front for the labor at the same time as i bought the tiles. 

7 hours ago, ChasingTheSun said:

If was a tile backsplash job of about 9sqm using 6x12inch tiles.

Took the guy about 5 hours to do it. I kept my eye on him, checking-in to make sure he did it the way i wanted, rather than the way he wanted. 

As has been mentioned by others, it was important to give some “guidance” and monitor periodically as the work was being done.

Labor was $100.

Paid homepro up-front for the labor at the same time as i bought the tiles. 

$100 for a 5 hour job? Well paid.

41 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Yes, Correct, but you have to pay much more for  part time labour. This guy might not have any work for a few more days. We have terrible trouble finding tradesmen for small jobs round our buildings. That's why we employ a full time handyman.  Even though he might only fix things a couple of times a week and fills in his day sweeping leaves, gardening, maintain pool. 

Here's another story.  For the house water system, we have two separate pumps, high pressure switch etc.  The other day I smelled some electrical wiring burning and shut the system down.  So far a few different people have come over.  One guy says two new pumps at 25K each are needed, plus new electrical panel, new switches etc.  Total cost 100K more or less. Another guy comes over, says all new electric needed, need new switches, plus this plus that, total cost around 45K.  Last guy comes over, turns on the system, and says only 1 new electrical part needed.  Not sure of cost yet, but I doubt it will be too high.

Mind you it has taken over 3 weeks go get 3 different people over, all at various crazy pricing.  Luckily for us, we have a separate pump that provides water to the house, but it isn't the house system.

43 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Yes, Correct, but you have to pay much more for  part time labour. This guy might not have any work for a few more days. We have terrible trouble finding tradesmen for small jobs round our buildings. That's why we employ a full time handyman.  Even though he might only fix things a couple of times a week and fills in his day sweeping leaves, gardening, maintain pool. 

Agree, but this pay is out of proportion. And for sure Homepro (or staff there, don't know how the payment was made) is collecting part of it.

4 hours ago, stevenl said:

For sure it was good money for a THAI person. However, i am sure Homepro tooK a significant cut(guessing 15%-20%).

That being said, $100 was easy to pay as i was too lazy to do the work myself as an amateur and risk messing it up, and it saved me from having to buy a tile-cutter($50) and the other tools for a relatively small one-time job.

Archived