Brexit minister Barclay says chances of a 'no deal' EU exit are underpriced

snoop1130

Brexit minister Barclay says chances of a 'no deal' EU exit are underpriced

gthy.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Britain's Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union Stephen Barclay arrives at Downing Street in London, Britain June 11, 2019. REUTERS/Peter Nicholls

LONDON (Reuters) - The chances of Britain leaving the European Union without a deal at the end of October are underpriced, Britain’s Brexit minister Stephen Barclay said on Wednesday.

Asked about the likelihood of a no-deal Brexit, Barclay pointed to the fact that parliament is only due to sit for a relatively short period of time in September and October and that legislation required to pass a deal would be significant.

“I think a no deal is underpriced. It is still this government’s intention and both leadership candidates’ intention to seek a deal and I think it is the will of many members of parliament for there to be a deal,” he told a committee of lawmakers.

“But the question then will be is there a deal that is palatable to parliament and if not will parliament vote to revoke or will we leave with no deal?”

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-07-17

5 hours ago, Loiner said:

Have Barclays forgotten that Parliament has already legislated to Leave and that legislation does not require a deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

No, they simply observed Parliament did likewise for the end of March.

.. And the Brexiteer  legal challenge wrt that was tossed out of court as being ‘without merit’.

Please don’t tell me you are taking Johnson at his word?!

Unfortunately we still have the anti democratic, childish, scheming rodents like Grieve trying to stop No Deal by withholding funding for education and benefits. Or by insisting Parliament meets every 2 weeks to discuss unrelated issues. Then we have the Tilbrook case being buried. Gina Miller surfacing again. The House of Lords trying to create obstacles.

It's going to be quite tough to implement the will of the people when the establishment is full of these anti-democrats. For the sake of democracy in the UK, let's hope we leave at the end of October.

8 hours ago, Loiner said:

Have Barclays forgotten that Parliament has already legislated to Leave and that legislation does not require a deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Section 1 of the EUWA is still waitng to be enacted

Repealing the EU from UK domestic law

3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Unfortunately we still have the anti democratic, childish, scheming rodents like Grieve trying to stop No Deal by withholding funding for education and benefits. Or by insisting Parliament meets every 2 weeks to discuss unrelated issues. Then we have the Tilbrook case being buried. Gina Miller surfacing again. The House of Lords trying to create obstacles.

It's going to be quite tough to implement the will of the people when the establishment is full of these anti-democrats. For the sake of democracy in the UK, let's hope we leave at the end of October.

The "will of the people" - crap. Show me where anyone voted for a no deal Brexit in an advisory referendum?

The advisory referendum told the government more people who voted wanted to leave the EU than remain in it. That should have kicked off exploratory talks, and intelligent consideration of all alternatives and what that would mean in the short, medium and long term. These alternatives should've been fully debated in parliament with each party putting their recommendations to the people. A GE could, and should, have been fought accordingly. The winning party could then have invoked Article 50 and negotiated with the EU from a position of strength.

Instead stupid May thought she could be clever, invoke Article 50 and use the Royal Prerogative to by-pass parliament and do as she pleased. She screwed up and none have had the balls to stop and start again, preferring to just wallow in the mess and make it worse.

53 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

The "will of the people" - crap. Show me where anyone voted for a no deal Brexit in an advisory referendum?

The advisory referendum told the government more people who voted wanted to leave the EU than remain in it. That should have kicked off exploratory talks, and intelligent consideration of all alternatives and what that would mean in the short, medium and long term. These alternatives should've been fully debated in parliament with each party putting their recommendations to the people. A GE could, and should, have been fought accordingly. The winning party could then have invoked Article 50 and negotiated with the EU from a position of strength.

Instead stupid May thought she could be clever, invoke Article 50 and use the Royal Prerogative to by-pass parliament and do as she pleased. She screwed up and none have had the balls to stop and start again, preferring to just wallow in the mess and make it worse.

The referendum result was to get out of the EU, deal or no deal. The drawn-out fiasco since clearly indicates connivance between Remainer May, a mainly Remainer Parliament and the EU heirachy.

They clearly all believed that if they f-cked the British people around long enough we would change our minds. I, for one, can't wait for them to be proved wrong.

Boris is no angel, but rather him and the temporary convulsions of an October 31 "no deal" exit than permanant vassalage to a sclerotic, failing European superstate which increasingly resembles the former Soviet Union in its twilight years.

1 hour ago, Krataiboy said:

The referendum result was to get out of the EU, deal or no deal. The drawn-out fiasco since clearly indicates connivance between Remainer May, a mainly Remainer Parliament and the EU heirachy.

They clearly all believed that if they f-cked the British people around long enough we would change our minds. I, for one, can't wait for them to be proved wrong.

Boris is no angel, but rather him and the temporary convulsions of an October 31 "no deal" exit than permanant vassalage to a sclerotic, failing European superstate which increasingly resembles the former Soviet Union in its twilight years.

Boris was a failure as foreign secretary, he’ll fail as PM.

But you might get a clever sounding Latin quote from him as he does so.

2 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

..... we would change our minds. I, for one, can't wait for them to be proved wrong.

Sometimes you just have to let the children learn what happens when they are being stupid and foolish....

Please do not bother us at this time about the most important decision this country will make

in the next 40 years,,,,,, the House of Commons representatives  (chicken farm) are on holiday

Only in the UK are they so complacent about their future 

Even a new PM takes 6 weeks to haggle over.

Archived